Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a 360 AMC engine disassembled, and saw some things that intrigued me. Just curious to see if anyone has experience building AMC V8's, and what kind of power they will handle, and where to get parts. One thing I noticed that I like, was the 2.1" rod journal diameter, I'm sure there are SBC rods that would work. I'm also impressed with the port in the factory heads, almost no pushrod protrusion, really smooth, gradual short turn, and quite a bit of bowl diameter. They are nicer than 99% of factory SBC heads made if you ask me. I think it would take very little work to make a nice street engine, but I have other ideas, just wondering what their strong and weak points are, and how much power they will handle, thanks!!

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
there is NOTHING WRONG with them engines

other than being able to ge MORE PARTS SUCH AS HEADS AND BLOCKS AND CRANKS.....

when they are gone..

there aint going to be anymore made....!!!!

.........A M C

ALL
MOST
a CAR...

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've heard about the pro stock stuff that was done with AMC heads. I'm more curious about specs on the heads, information about cranks, etc. etc... I know they are a good platform, and there are some AMC cars out there that really haul ass, I just want to learn all I can about them before I decide to sink money into one. Most of all I'm interested in finding out what kind of power the factory parts will withstand. Lets just say that if I was to build one, there would be a power adder involved....

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Seems a guy by the name of Dick Maskin used to fool around with that AMC stuff pretty good;)

Blessings........Ron.

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Stickshifter is a member here that i believe has the fastest AMC powered door car...7.40's with a liberty 5 speed...search u-tube..
The 360's rod jrn is just slightly bigger than 2.100 and very easy to use the aftermarket rod..BUT the jrn width is wider than the aftermarket rods for a v-8 chevy....Rick Jones found out that a 250 6cyl. aftermarket rod is the best fit because they are wider than the v-8 chevy rods...
Most guy turn down 401 cranks to 2.100 and 2.00 jrn and can get as much as 3.92 stroke i believe...
I've never raced anything but an AMC..
You can get 300cfm out of an AMC head with alot of work..280 isn't hard..401 cranks and blocks will handle 1000 hp..you don't have to worry about hitting water when going to big valve springs...2.02-1.68 valves with a 2bbl 360..lol
parts are still relativily easy to find..mopar used the 360 up until 1993 I think in the jeep wagoneer
My 401 stroked to 420 made 700hp with a torker intake and a big holley..AMC iron heads,block and factory forged crank...

Here is stickshifters Gremlin...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZg2ORT0tY

·
Registered
819 Posts
Yeah I've heard about the pro stock stuff that was done with AMC heads. I'm more curious about specs on the heads, information about cranks, etc. etc... I know they are a good platform, and there are some AMC cars out there that really haul ass, I just want to learn all I can about them before I decide to sink money into one. Most of all I'm interested in finding out what kind of power the factory parts will withstand. Lets just say that if I was to build one, there would be a power adder involved....
Here is a comparison of AMC heads..stock..middle is an early nascar drag head...and I think you can tell which is the pro stock head..that head is cast that way..that would be the final head design before AMC got out of racing...that head was cast in a foundry in kentucky designed by maskins and wally booth..

·
Registered
819 Posts
believe it or not you can buy more for an AMC engine now than you could 20 years ago...Indy blocks and heads,Stickshifter makes several performance pieces including a belt cam drive..you can buy aftermarket rods for 401 and 360 that doesn't require any special machining...lots of build choices now days...

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Hurst, a few years ago, like 6, I was looking at a ScRambler Super Stocker that was actually registered with the Super Stock "group" or whatever. Guess this car came with the FACTORY Super Stock kit in the trunk. The collector who bought the car back in about 1980 said he still knows where the FACTORY carbs were still from this car. I was campaigned as "The Nash Revolution".

Now there's a thread about FAST MUSCLECAR in trash. They are talking about the '68 Hemi "A" Bodies cars, but I was also told that the FACTORY Super Stock AMX's were right there with the Hemi's "back-in-the-days."

Now this gets me to who builds what. I think it was Amarillo Engines or something like that. Was told they were going it for years. But would like to see what someone like BES could do with that "factory" hardware????

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hurst, a few years ago, like 6, I was looking at a ScRambler Super Stocker that was actually registered with the Super Stock "group" or whatever. Guess this car came with the FACTORY Super Stock kit in the trunk. The collector who bought the car back in about 1980 said he still knows where the FACTORY carbs were still from this car. I was campaigned as "The Nash Revolution".

Now there's a thread about FAST MUSCLECAR in trash. They are talking about the '68 Hemi "A" Bodies cars, but I was also told that the FACTORY Super Stock AMX's were right there with the Hemi's "back-in-the-days."

Now this gets me to who builds what. I think it was Amarillo Engines or something like that. Was told they were going it for years. But would like to see what someone like BES could do with that "factory" hardware????
I'd like to buy a set of those holleys..4584's came on the ss AMX's...
I think BES had an engine build with an AMC..wasn't a max effort job though..I can't remember where maybe on their website?
I think i have a pic somewhere of the nash revolution..cool old cars.... I love the Scrambler race cars..

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Sorry to say, THIS IS IT:

http://www.carsinbarns.com/AMCs In Barns/amcpg1.html

BUT it was bought and having a full resto done on it. But it's going back to OEM and not SS trim from what I recall. Just didn't have the $$$ back then. The guy selling it HAS CARS and many strange 1 of's or limited production run stuff. Him and his dad have both passed on, and the family is doing whatever with them, keep most. They had at least 4 barns full of rare and classic cars. I know at one time, they had 4 or 5 BOSS 429 Mustangs

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hurst390, thanks for the information!! That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I am going to be bound to using factory blocks, heads, and most likely cranks, because I can't afford Indy stuff, and I'm sure any aftermarket AMC cranks are damn pricey!! Would a 360 or 390 be a good place to start, or would I be money ahead to just hold out for a 401? Thanks guys!!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts