Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Bracket racer
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ahve been looking for a sitter for my 2 yo daughter. The currant babysitter is just too far out of the way for either of us to drive. Now they moved 8 miles closer but the ride has added 15 min because of how to get there.

Anyways we have been calling other sitters and daycare centers. My wife works 4 days a week. All these places want to get payed for 5 days even though we only need 4. And to top it off they still want to get paid if we take days off for vacation or sick leave. WTF they want to get paid even if our daughter is not there???

Also how do they expect anyone to afford them? They want anywhere from 1000-1200 bucks a month. On top of what my wife makes minus she carries the insurance for us we barely have anything left out of her checks per month. All my money I make goes toward keeping the house and other monthy bills. I sold off race car and trailer to pay off debt. No debt now but man this sucks.

I would love for her to stay home but my work insurance is outragous. So thats why she covers it. What are others doing in this position?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am in the small boat as you man, I feel your pain. It sucks without a doubt. Don't get me wrong, my kid loves his school and enjoys going to interact with his friends and they do teach him alot during the time he is there. They have taught him how to swim during the summer and gymnastics during the winter which is included in what I pay a week. But my wife works just to pay for him to go to daycare, and the samething when he doesn't go I still have to pay. Man I wish I open one of these way back in the day.

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
It's free in the military.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Look into your public school system, some schools offer a pre-school scheduel for children 2-4 years of age.
Good luck I went through the same ordeal and it made me wonder if I was in the wrong buisness because these daycare facilities are making a freaking fortune on us.

·
Bracket racer
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah seems like a big money making scam to me. They know its a necessity so they capitalize on it. Now I dont doubt there insurance rates are high. But I would like to know the exact numbers on what that is and what these people's salaries are per year.

·
Let's have one.
3,176 Posts
Fortunately both my wife and I work full time,so both my kids went to daycare. Yes its expensive but worth it. They learn so much...its unreal. Try to find one at a local church..that's what we did. They went from 3 mos. till pre-k.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
All these places want to get payed for 5 days even though we only need 4. And to top it off they still want to get paid if we take days off for vacation or sick leave. WTF they want to get paid even if our daughter is not there???
They have payroll and other expenses to meet if you show up or not.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I feel Lucky. My day care provider charges $33 a day and that includes food, drinks, and educational items like sign language videos and flash cards to name a few.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,433 Posts
we had the same problem when we had our 1st child 4 months ago ..... we decided it was cheaper and awhole lot easier to just have her stay at home . with her hourly wage , fuel prices , cost of a sitter , it just didnt make sense to deal with all the hassles of it .

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
ya, we hear this from a lot of our friends as well...we are lucky, 5 years ago when wife was preggo with our first, i called my Union and asked to be moved to 2nd shift (wife is a special-ed teacher in the am)so i moved to 2nd shift and now we have 2 children ages 5 and 2, soo im Mr mom in the AM then go do my 8, makes for long 16+ hour days, but i consider us very lucky we can do this ...

·
Registered
828 Posts
I pay $175 a week for my 4 yr. old,I was paying $125 a week for my son 18 yrs. ago.So it hasn't gone up much.I hate having to pay them for 2 wks. vacation and I only get 1 wk.

What pisses me off the most is when they get sick (chicken pox) in day care and aren't allowed back for a week.They still want to get paid for something that happened at thier place,which is out of my control.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
My wife actually runs a day care at our home. She gives everyone a weeks vacation she doesn't get paid for, but other than that, there is overhead and salary to cover. You can only have so many kids per person and if you had yours there 4 days, it would be hard to fill the other day, so you are actually occupying the slot she could get paid for the whole week. That is why she does it at her place and I am sure most will agree. It is a business.

As far as vacation, she does not get paid any at all so I feel she is screwing herself. Whenever she takes off, it is unpaid except for the actual major holidays.

She also only charges 75/week regardless of the age. She does works with people on an hourly rate if they are only there after scholll for an hour and does not need to be taken anywhere.

At the end of the day, I think it costs me more for her to have the daycare than she makes.

·
Bracket racer
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I pay $175 a week for my 4 yr. old,I was paying $125 a week for my son 18 yrs. ago.So it hasn't gone up much.I hate having to pay them for 2 wks. vacation and I only get 1 wk.

What pisses me off the most is when they get sick (chicken pox) in day care and aren't allowed back for a week.They still want to get paid for something that happened at thier place,which is out of my control.
Yup they know you have no choice to pay. It really sucks. I want my daughter in daycare for the experience around other kids. Right now shes at a house with 3 others one younger, one her age and one older. I think she could benifit from interaction with many other kids. Just damn they will put you in the poor house. Then some have a "must be potty trained" policy. That rules out alot of them too.

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
I too have been looking at Daycare for my son. At most places anything over 4 hours/part time, you have to pay for 12 hours/full time. Anything over three days, no matter how many hours a day, you have to pay for a full week! I am lucky that if it comes down to it my Mom (who is a retired 2nd grade Catholic school teacher) will watch him. But I would rather he goes to Pre-Preschool now to learn to interact with kids his age (3) at least 2 days a week. Try looking for Schools that are at Churches, they are less expensive. If not, look at many, many schools and price shop.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yup they know you have no choice to pay. It really sucks. I want my daughter in daycare for the experience around other kids. Right now shes at a house with 3 others one younger, one her age and one older. I think she could benifit from interaction with many other kids. Just damn they will put you in the poor house. Then some have a "must be potty trained" policy. That rules out alot of them too.
Interaction,in my opinion,is worth it.

·
Dr. Greenthumb
2,659 Posts
My wife actually runs a day care at our home. She gives everyone a weeks vacation she doesn't get paid for, but other than that, there is overhead and salary to cover. You can only have so many kids per person and if you had yours there 4 days, it would be hard to fill the other day, so you are actually occupying the slot she could get paid for the whole week. That is why she does it at her place and I am sure most will agree. It is a business.

As far as vacation, she does not get paid any at all so I feel she is screwing herself. Whenever she takes off, it is unpaid except for the actual major holidays.

She also only charges 75/week regardless of the age. She does works with people on an hourly rate if they are only there after scholll for an hour and does not need to be taken anywhere.

At the end of the day, I think it costs me more for her to have the daycare than she makes.
In YOUR case, I think she should get vacation as well. For 75 a week she should get whatever she wants.. In the case of alot of other places. I think what they charge in the first place is plenty. I mean some places are 250 a week. As far as filling the spots of full week people. IMO, thats just part of the business they chose to be in. You shouldnt have to pay,if your kids not there. I mean,if you call,and say "They arent coming today", thats different. When its setup for 4 days though from the beginning. It should only be paid for 4 days. Your in a totally different situation than a "kindercare" or one of those places that have 100 kids though. Because the people that work there dont make crap. The ones that actually work anyway. Watch alot of those places too. Some have so many kids they dont get the attention they need. Interaction is VERY important though.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
You just have to look around. There are some nannies who will work less hours.

My wife has been home with our boys (3,5), that's how we did it. She made good enough money that we would have been on the plus side a bit, but we wanted our boys to be raised by one of us. When they are both in full time school things might change, I could see my wife working again. Here on the North side daycare is $1000-1500 a month per kid I think... Pricey. We did our our youngest at a small private daycare that a lady ran for a while until he got into the CPS pre-school system. I don't know if Elgin has paid or free pre-school but I thought Illinois has a lot of that stuff still.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
My son will be 3 next month. Wife works wed through sun second for the railroad. So we have to put our boy in daycare for 4 hours minimum for 3 days. Its 75.00 a week. Its not that bad. As others have mentioned though, check with your church.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Had two kids in daycare $450 a week. All the running around and PITA with kids getting sick, we are considering the Mrs. to stay home. What i don't get is with snow days...THEY cancel yet i have to pay????

1 - 20 of 84 Posts