Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can a get a setup with about 20 passes on it with SFI bell, clutch and pro 5.0 shifter for under $2k.

Is this a good transmission for a driver that will see weekend strip time behind a supercharged 306 with about 10psi and 4:10 gears?

Thanks!

·
[email protected] JoeCool Performance
2,076 Posts
That sounds like a great deal. I've seen guys go mid nines with them. I've also seen guys break them and switch to tko600s. Which version is it? The dog tooth or synchroed? Straight cut? For the price I'd get it.

·
2,076 Posts
I would prefer the straight cut dog tooth one for strengh reasons but for the $$ its definately worth it. What clutch? What does the car run?

·
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the help! Spare cash comes slowly but if I needed to hold out to get something better I would but saw this deal and it fits right in with the budget. I have a newish T5 now and a centerforce DF clutch but have been afraid to push it.

·
2,076 Posts
That tranny new by itself is like 2200$ plus core. I believe that the tko600 is a stronger piece but I had to shell out 3000 for it to my door with the faceplate and cryo options. Not cheap but its the only thing besides the heads on my car that I bought new and it was well worth it for the joy I have gotten out of it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The only problem i had was powershifting third gear 2 7K. You won't have a problem with the gears it's still the same blocker rings etc. It's hard to shift a syncro trans with a wide spread between gears at high rpm. I was always taking that trans apart every weekend deburring the blocker rings so it would shift. The radial tires don't like sticks on the launch. I had to slip mine so much the disc would wear fast. it's really better to use an auto unless your street racing otherwise it's a good trans. Try shifting a TKO because they don't

·
I kill parts
10,396 Posts
I'm not a fan. The weak link in a T5 is the case, due to the centerline spacing between the mainshaft and the clutster. The straight cut gear set is the only way to remove some of the load from the case. The stronger main shaft helps some, but not enough in my experience(I've shattered three under power in 3rd gear, one with the up-graded mainshaft which did not last any longer than the other two).

G-force will not stand behind them, especialy if you run an agressive clutch and tires. - What's a "600hp" rating good for if they only rate it if you're not actually applying that power?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts