Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Putting a bbc in a fox using the skinny kid offset motor plate. I'm gonna get the engine as low and as far back as I can. I am looking for a measurment from the top edge of the factory frame rail to the center of the top bolt on the water pump on both driver and pass side. Any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:confused:

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Putting a bbc in a fox using the skinny kid offset motor plate. I'm gonna get the engine as low and as far back as I can. I am looking for a measurment from the top edge of the factory frame rail to the center of the top bolt on the water pump on both driver and pass side. Any help would be great thanks
low is good far back not so good, car needs some front end weight...............or you will have a wheelstander under your ass........;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
We put a 565 bbc with th400 in a 85 mutang foxbody .there might have been 1/2" behind the motor. the low part for the motor - we ran the deep car moroso pan - with brodix bbx2 heads and 1" valvecover risers - the motors valvecovers fit under the stock hood .even with a sniper sr intake the 1150 dominator was just into the snorkle. Good luck on the build .

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mid plate set with about 3/4" behind distributer is what I had in mind. Still looking for a measurement from top water pump bolt to rail on both sides if anyone has one around to measure. Thanks bill

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just did this conversion. You need between 11-12" for crank centerline, measured from ground to center of crank. This measurement also depends on how fast you plan on going with the car.

Both DMC and Skinny Kid said exact same measurements. I had to have a motorplate and midplate made that dropped the engine and trans 1.25" lower than the kits they sell. Put the motor all the way back up to the point where the drivers side midplate tab is close enough to the firewall to clearance the nut. The tabs are flush on the top of the frame for the motorplate.

Good Luck on your project.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still looking for side to side measurment

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
If you have a motor plate from Skinny,..the offset is built in. center it between the frame rails.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Still looking for side to side measurment
if you have an offset plate its built in, and you would measure crank centerline side to side not engine.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you have an offset plate its built in, and you would measure crank centerline side to side not engine.
I know plate w tabs fits between rails but there is play. I wanted to double check everything . Centerline of crank side to side or water pump bolts side to side would both position the motor in the correct spot w correct measurements. I know the offset is built in but between the rails it still could vary up to 1/2".wanted to make sure before I split the diff.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I know plate w tabs fits between rails but there is play. I wanted to double check everything . Centerline of crank side to side or water pump bolts side to side would both position the motor in the correct spot w correct measurements. I know the offset is built in but between the rails it still could vary up to 1/2".wanted to make sure before I split the diff.
the crank is what you use nothing else,than you know for sure it is the only thing truely ,for sure in center of engine

·
Registered
368 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind ,is that that cars life was a unibody . Any accidents of abuse use to move the front to rear of car . So your perfect measurements may not be someone elses perfect measurements . Ours personally was a $400 foxbody that was to be turned into a race car once we started the tear down you could tell it was in an accident or two . You will have to mock up the motor and trans in the car to make it what you want . The way ford was pumping out these foxbodies I bet there specs didn't even match up all the time . goodluck

·
Registered
701 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind ,is that that cars life was a unibody . Any accidents of abuse use to move the front to rear of car . So your perfect measurements may not be someone elses perfect measurements . Ours personally was a $400 foxbody that was to be turned into a race car once we started the tear down you could tell it was in an accident or two . You will have to mock up the motor and trans in the car to make it what you want . The way ford was pumping out these foxbodies I bet there specs didn't even match up all the time . goodluck
very true. I have measured several of these cars that have not been hit, and they are all a little different. Back in the day we saw many come off the truck from ford with the caster out of spec.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts