Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD is 10 years old, just this past week I've noticed him have a limp after laying down for a while. He isn't over weight, and goes for long walks everyday, he still chases deer and rabbits in the yard. I'm getting worried about hip displagia. Anyone have any ideal or had this problem? I know he is getting old. Up until last year he would jump into the bed of my truck, now he wants to, but just can't do it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
See your vet about puttin him on cosequin, it should help. Dispasia is common, along with arthritis . I have had 4 GSD's with every other problem but displasia, but check him out with a hand inspection thoroughly. My 4yo GSD started not wanting to run much and was hesitating about jumping into the back seat of my c/c dually. Turns out she had cancer wrapped around the leg muscle and hip/ hindquarter area.

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
Hip dysplasia is there from birth. It doesn't come with age. So if you've never seen a problem with his hips before, it's probably just arthritis. Give him 1-2 Salmon Oil capsules a day. Cosequin works well, too, but I'd try the salmon oil first. Don't get "fish oil." Get the "salmon oil." You get it it at Walmart.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My akita is 10 and weighs in at 135#......last couple of months he's been having issues with his hips also.at 10 years old its two late to do anything about it.until he's in pain I will let it go.First sign of pain and its time to go

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My 7 year old GSD was just diagnosed with hip dysplasia and arthritis on her right hip this past July. She's not overweight either and gets walked 2+ miles every day. We started noticing her limping and favoring her left side. She was also having a really difficult time getting up from a down position or hopping up on the couch and bed. We brought her to an orthopedic surgeon and had x-rays done which revealed it. Breaks my heart because it seems like she's aged alot in the last few months. The vet didn't feel she needed surgery right away but I can see it getting worse, so surgery will be in her future. Right now she gets salmon oil, vitamin E, Dasuquin glucosamine and chondroitin, Rimadyl and Ester vitamin C with her meals.

X-rays are the only way to diagnose hip dysplasia. If you don't see any signs of improvement in the next several days you should really take him to your vet for an exam.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My akita is 10 and weighs in at 135#......last couple of months he's been having issues with his hips also.at 10 years old its two late to do anything about it.until he's in pain I will let it go.First sign of pain and its time to go
Really? first sign of pain and "It's time to go"?? WTF is that? I also must say 135# is a bit heavy for an Akita, maybe change in diet might lower his weight and help with his hips. Akita's aren't known for "showing pain", so, chances are, He is in pain. A quick trip to the Vet o determine what the cause is and a script for an anti inflamitory would make him alot more comfortable.
Oh, and 10 years old being too late? BS...my last Akita was 16 years old when she passed...

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
Agreed. I spent thousands making my dog comfortable with a back injury for a couple of years before he had to be put down due to cancer being..well..everywhere. :(

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I've got 2 GSD's a 6 year old male and 4 year old female. Both are healthy but the male recently put on alot of weight and lost muscle due to having him Neutered(prostate was enlarged). Since his hormone levels dropped be lost alot of muscle and got about 20# heavier. He still runs and is pretty strong but he doesn't get up on my bed anymore(he can't because he still hops on the bed of the truck like a spry 2 year old pup) I guess it's harder for him being over weight I also notice he fatigues easier. Next year I'm gonna focus on slimming him down and working him back in shape.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
My GSD was having problems going up and down stairs. My Wife found these at a local store and after giving them to Him for a few days He was running up and down stairs. He was about 11 at the time.

I can't recommend them enough.

He did pass in 2007 at 14 from other old age related problems (Kidneys), but He walked fine right till I had to part with Him.

http://www.zukes.com/woof/hip-action.html

Even the strongest of power dogs start to slow down as they age, but that doesn't mean you have to put away the Frisbee. Zuke's Hip Action treats are a fun way to decrease joint pain and increase mobility in your pooch.
Every treat contains 300 mg of Glucosamine and 50 mg of Chondroitin, plus essential co-factors to maximize absorption. And if that ingredient list doesn't have your dog salivating just yet, the fresh blueberries, apples, carrots and ground flax seed should do the trick.
Zuke's Hip Action can also be fed to younger dogs to help prevent hip problems before they start. Feed Hip Action and Fuel the Love.
Tip: Hip Action keeps your dog's joints healthy so you can keep doing the activities you love together.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Really? first sign of pain and "It's time to go"?? WTF is that? I also must say 135# is a bit heavy for an Akita, maybe change in diet might lower his weight and help with his hips. Akita's aren't known for "showing pain", so, chances are, He is in pain. A quick trip to the Vet o determine what the cause is and a script for an anti inflamitory would make him alot more comfortable.
Oh, and 10 years old being too late? BS...my last Akita was 16 years old when she passed...
He is bigger than the average akita.My first akita was only 75# and lived for 14 years but most dogs over 100# have a life span of 10-11 years on average.and your right,If I keep him doped up I might be able to get another year possibly 2 years out of him!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My GSD has arthritis in his front elbow. There is a vet in Pittsburgh doing stem cell therapy. I did do some research on the process, and it looks very promising. You might want to look into it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You should probably check with your vet first. I was going to give our 14 year old rott baby aspirin but they did blood check and his liver would not been able to handle it, they gave me Tramadol instead for his pain and it seems to be working pretty well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts