Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have children on meds for A.D.D.? Any side effects?

Well 1st thing 1st my Daughter has been showing alot of signs of ADD and now it is starting to show in her school work. She is not Hyper just can not stay on track for anything. We (my wife and I) have been doing everything that we can think of and even tutoring. I really really do not want to have her to take meds but it's looking like that is what it is coming to unless I can figure something out.

Any advise would be welcome. Thank you, Nathan.

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
My niece is ADHD w Anxiety. Some meds she was on caused depression. They changed her meds, though, and she is a lot better in that regard. She's 14 now and is learning to manage the ADD part on her own more, and the hyperactivity is settling down as she's becoming a teenager.

The biggest help for her was moving into a smaller class size. Her school had a program just for ADD kids or "learning disability" kids. She did very well with this and is now back in a normal classroom.

She's been on a ton of different meds. Poor kid.

·
SPEL CHECK
3,612 Posts
Do any of you have children on meds for A.D.D.? Any side effects?

Well 1st thing 1st my Daughter has been showing alot of signs of ADD and now it is starting to show in her school work. She is not Hyper just can not stay on track for anything. We (my wife and I) have been doing everything that we can think of and even tutoring. I really really do not want to have her to take meds but it's looking like that is what it is coming to unless I can figure something out.

Any advise would be welcome. Thank you, Nathan.
we think our son (12yrs old) has it, he is an ace in school but if i tell him simple instructions like take out the garabge then put the dishes away he forgets one or the other. i notice he looks away when i'm talking to him , a small pop in the head has stopped that, lol .asked doctor & she told me he will grow out of it & its normal cloud 9 for his age.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Good luck.......I don't have a kid with it but my wife has it and at times will drive me fucking crazy........

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My 8 year old was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 5.She has been going to a nuerologist since born for hydrosuflis.Its gone now.Her Doctor is the first pediatric nuero surgeon in austin and he never has put her on meds for ADHD.He told us to give her a multivitiman and add on Omega3 supplements.It has helped a bunch.So maybe try that.Theres another mineral you can give her but dont remember the name of it.

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
My oldest son was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD when he was 3 (he's going on 11 now). He actually was Baker Act'd at Shands Hospital while we had him up there for an evaluation because he would hit himself and they felt he may be a threat to himself and his baby brother. They thought he was possibly Autistic but they soon ruled that out after testing. He would refuse to follow any instructions and was unable to concentrate on anything outside of things he found interesting.

They started him out on Adderall but after I got to doing some research on both these afflictions I discovered a new medicine called Vyvanse. I talked to his doctor about it and he was immediately put on it. This stuff is awesome. It doesn't have any side affects that I can see. Without it he's a pretty out of control child but on it he's a great kid who does well in school and is able to concentrate on pretty much everything. Vyvanse only works on his ADHD thought, not his ODD which there is nothing available for it. The ODD we've just had to learn ways to get him to follow instructions he would otherwise refuse to do.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My son was diagnosed with a very mild form of it. After two years of the teachers pushing us to put him on med's we finally did (I fought it to the very end). But in the end I gave in and it seemed to work. He was only on it for one school year. Took him off it during the summer and then he never went back on it. Sometimes I think that the teachers are overwhelmed with too many kids in their class and look for the easy way out (with these two teachers and the many meetings we had, that is my opinion in this case). That was at least 6 years ago and he's in college now doing very well. It might not be the same for all kids, but that was my experience. And before someone thinks that he wasn't disciplined correctly, that was far from the truth. He's never been in trouble and one of the most loving kids you'd ever meet. He just needed to get through a rough patch I suppose and the meds helped him for that year.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son was diagnosed with a very mild form of it. After two years of the teachers pushing us to put him on med's we finally did (I fought it to the very end). But in the end I gave in and it seemed to work. He was only on it for one school year. Took him off it during the summer and then he never went back on it. Sometimes I think that the teachers are overwhelmed with too many kids in their class and look for the easy way out (with these two teachers and the many meetings we had, that is my opinion in this case). That was at least 6 years ago and he's in college now doing very well. It might not be the same for all kids, but that was my experience. And before someone thinks that he wasn't disciplined correctly, that was far from the truth. He's never been in trouble and one of the most loving kids you'd ever meet. He just needed to get through a rough patch I suppose and the meds helped him for that year.
She is the same way. She has great manners, yes sir, no sir helps other kids not to do something to hurt them selves. She's not hyper sits through Church just fine. Every thing else is perfect but just doesn't want to stay on track. Be doing one thing just stop in the middle and do another, or forget due to thinking about something else. Almost like she has short term memory loss or something only when it comes to something she is not interested in. Now Softball she rocks and doesn't miss a thing. Or watching a college football game with me she can tell you every thing about it. But I have been doing all I can and can tell she really needs some help with it. My wife is great helps alot but I also have a child Gage with born with HLHS and that takes alot of her time too.

·
that guy....
2,099 Posts
I have a five year old and people ask me the same question. I ask them how did we live for the past 50 years without it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
My daughter has ADD. Before you start her on meds, try having her drink some coffee before school. Delute it in milk and add some sugar. Haley, my daughter likes the Starbucks Vanilla frappas. Any stimulant will help keep her on task. The bad thing is caffine only last for a short time. We have Haley and my wife taking Vyvanse at this time. We have had to change meds every few years because the body will get used to one type and become ineffective. Good luck!! There are a number of homeopathic remedies to look into also. They just didn't work for us. You have to be VERY structured for them to work.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I was put on 6 pills a day for ADD when I was in elementary school and middle school. I was always tired and it made me pay attention even less. I dont even think I really had a problem, what kid honestly sits still in elementary school?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am sorry can you repeat the question?

Oh look birds !

·
And I call you dipshit.
5,348 Posts
I have it. I just got put on adderol three months ago at 27. I have to say, if I was diagnosed young I probably would have stayed in high school . My focus is much improved now.

Side effects I noticed are loss of appetite, trouble sleeping at first, and I don't shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
try a activity like karate. it sounds funny but it will help with her focus factor...My wife's a teacher and has found that activity's like that help dramatically

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
First and most important teachers are not doctors and should not give advise on any medication. They should only be able to let you know your child is not performing as they should. Way too easy to stick a child on some pretty heavy drugs that can have bad side effects. I would locate the best doctor I could in that field and get his/her advise. I am not saying these drugs are good or bad just that your child needs to be seen by a doctor.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
my oldest daughter has it and we went through all kinds of doctors some the best in the field and all kinds of meds. After we saw a lot of worse things with her when she was on the meds my wife did a lot of research on it and found sugar can have a big effect on the kids. So we took all sugar out of her diet and she did a lot better in school and on focus. She still has problems and you have to deal with a lot at times but that's part of being a parent. She was like someone else said very polite and neat until about 3rd grade then the neatness went way. She can do very good at a lot of things but other very simple things can throw her a real curve. Try getting rid of the sugar and see if that helps it won't have any side effects and will do some good anyway. Also like said the coffee is a stimulant to a normal person but to someone with ADD or ADHD it has the opposite effect. My wife would mix some in with stuff for her in the mornings to get her though the mornings. At times she could sit still for hours and other times duck tape glue and 100 feet of rope couldn't keep her in a chair. Good Luck and if I can help get you any info we found drop me a message.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yes , start small if you do decide to medicate your child . Do you or your wife exhibit characteristics of this as well ? Children grasp these things easier when you can explain to them that they are not alone .

·
THREAD KILLER
5,135 Posts
Everyone I know that has kids, they all have add, adhd, or autism. I find it odd that all kids now have a medical condition but then again a large percentage of adults tell me they are bipolar.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts