Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 02 62,000 miles and its rusting all along the bottom rocker and the cab corner. dealer said they had to replace whole sides of both cabs and it was 7 grand. gm said tough shit. i know they make patch pannels. just wondering if its worth fixing its a nice truck besides that.

·
Registered
475 Posts
So many of them do that in that spot, they are a popular truck and that will only help with resale value when the time comes, we buy and sell a lot of them and have a local new car dealers body shop fix them with the patch panels and paint it is about 1g per side

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
i have a 97 dullie thats rust free,everytime i change the oil,i take an old paint gun and spray the old oil inside all the panels and frame. Oil run's out every where but i have no rust.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The liquid that they spray on the roads in the winter eats the bodys really bad. It's like liquid rust. 1k per side sounds about right.pain in the butt .

·
WHAT NOW ?
16,322 Posts
an 02 is already 8-9 years old. it sucks living up north in the north with the road salt. it rots the shit out of everything. I have 02 bought in 01, still solid & has seen a lot of salt. its a standard cab, but Iv seem some extended cabs 99-02 rotting in that spot. If the trucks otherwise nice I would fix it.

·
Registered
19,927 Posts
i have not seen many later ones rusting, but the 2000+ models are catching a lot of flak about rusting brake lines, so much so that i suspect some kind of recall may be ordered, or a class action lawsuite
i notice a lot of rust on my 2003 brake lines, i try to shoot wd-40 on them when i change the oil now
the orig rotors on them turn to crap, some you cant even turn, they flak apart-i had to change all of them, same with my wifes 2003 trailblazer
and dont get me started on those killer anti lock brakes, esp pulling a trailer, lol

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
The problem is more rooted towards winter conditions that you deal with up north I would guess. Road Salt and other chemicals eat away at vehicles. I have a 2000 GMC and have no rust issues anywhere, not even a hint of it.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
My 93 extended cab rusted on the passenger side rear corner. My body guy said that it is common if you have sliding glass in the rear window. He cut out the corner and glued a patch corner and repainted for about $750. Looks great.

I had a rear brake line rust out and blow while the wife was driving. It is a PIA to change.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The liquid that they spray on the roads in the winter eats the bodys really bad. It's like liquid rust. 1k per side sounds about right.pain in the butt .

X2 that shit should be banned!!! Ct just started using that.The excuse is the sand that was used with calcium chloride makes it haz mat when they had to clean up in the spring .Not hazmat because of the calcium chloride but because the oil from vehicles and the asphalt??????
Some scumbag sold this scam to the state as a better way..A better way to make a few people rich at the cost of the tax payer.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
My buddies '02 is doing this same thing. 60k miles and the drivers side rocker just popped a hole. I have an '03 GMC that is starting to rust on the iside bottoms of the doors and tailgate. I drive this thing as little as possible in the winter. It sees salt maybe 10 times all winter when I need to haul something. As soon as I'm done it gets washed (all the seams and even underneath) and put away. Very frustrating when you take care of a truck and it still rusts!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gm said it has to have a hole. i havent driven mine but a couple times the last few years in winter. but i dont i dont know about the previous owner. mine looked great then one day about a year ago i noticed one little bubble. once it started it go worse. now abotu a year later theres rust stains everywhere. i thought about having it line x'd just so theres not a huge hole but i dont know. ive seen some around here where the whole rocker is gone.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
2001 Silverado, 170,000+ miles. No rust - still perfect paint. God Bless Texas weather. haven't seen it but 7G's sounds high to fix yours though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
gm said it has to have a hole. i havent driven mine but a couple times the last few years in winter. but i dont i dont know about the previous owner. mine looked great then one day about a year ago i noticed one little bubble. once it started it go worse. now abotu a year later theres rust stains everywhere. i thought about having it line x'd just so theres not a huge hole but i dont know. ive seen some around here where the whole rocker is gone.
Same thing for me...I have a 99 ext cab. I noticed a couple minor spots of rust on the rear wheel well of the bed and the next thing ya know, it was rusted to hell. Now both rockers have rust...the passenger side has a huge hole in it. When I bought the truck, it had close to 80000 miles on it. I always tried to take care of it and keep the salt washed off of it in the winter. But, I don't know how well the person who owned it before me took care of it. And yea...the truck is getting pretty old now, but I was still very surprised as to how fast it rusted.

Just give yours a little more time and I'm sure you'll see a few holes.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
hydrochloric acid and a spray bottle. :rolleyes: That'll make the hole they want.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The problem is more rooted towards winter conditions that you deal with up north I would guess. Road Salt and other chemicals eat away at vehicles. I have a 2000 GMC and have no rust issues anywhere, not even a hint of it.
Its definitley a rust belt problem shit down south does not do that at all. AZ, NV, NM, TX ect. now the interiors from the sun get damaged. But its not uncommon to see 30-40 year old cars and trucks running a round Phoenix area w/ zero rust and original faded out paint.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the guy at the body shop said its a problem with water drainage. and i climbed under and looked and theres another piece of sheet metal over what rusts so you cant see inside it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts