Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
FETTFMF!!!
4,094 Posts
I assume you are fishing on the Wisconsin side? Where are you planning to go out of? I have done a little fishing out of Racine years ago. I make the Off Shore Tackle trolling products (Planer Boards, Downrigger releases, etc.) and probably know a guy in your area that can get you started. As for the boat, you said you were looking for a cabin cruiser. I would stay far away from Bayliners, they look nice and have a lot of goodies, but are made quite cheaply and are usually too underpowered.

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
You aren't going to EAT any fish from Lake Michigan, are you???

Hell, the EPA has said for quite a while that they are down right POISON because they haven't been able to control the Lake's water and air pollution stricter!!

And thus make us PAY more so they can do so!!

He, He!!

pdq67

PS., and I love the little-bitty french-fried Lake Smelts in a Dixie Cup with catsup at the Bowling Alley in New Carlisle, Indiana from years and years ago...

·
FETTFMF!!!
4,094 Posts
You aren't going to EAT any fish from Lake Michigan, are you???

Hell, the EPA has said for quite a while that they are down right POISON because they haven't been able to control the Lake's water and air pollution stricter!!

And thus make us PAY more so they can do so!!

He, He!!

pdq67

PS., and I love the little-bitty french-fried Lake Smelts in a Dixie Cup with catsup at the Bowling Alley in New Carlisle, Indiana from years and years ago...

Pretty sure you are kidding (hope so anyways,lol). For people who are afraid to eat fish because of contaminants, you have to realize a couple things first.

1. When they test the fish, they grind the ENTIRE fish up, guts and all. Nearly all contaminants are in the parts we don't eat, especially in the belly fat and lateral line or "mud vane". A properly prepared fish will not have contaminants.

2. I have eaten fish from the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Huron, where my dad was a charter boat captain. I grew up on fish, and have not had problems due to contaminates. They have even tested my dad for mercury a few years ago and everything was zero.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I assume you are fishing on the Wisconsin side? Where are you planning to go out of? I have done a little fishing out of Racine years ago. I make the Off Shore Tackle trolling products (Planer Boards, Downrigger releases, etc.) and probably know a guy in your area that can get you started. As for the boat, you said you were looking for a cabin cruiser. I would stay far away from Bayliners, they look nice and have a lot of goodies, but are made quite cheaply and are usually too underpowered.
tell me about the products you deal in ! im in the market . upgrading some older stuff !

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Pretty sure you are kidding (hope so anyways,lol). For people who are afraid to eat fish because of contaminants, you have to realize a couple things first.

1. When they test the fish, they grind the ENTIRE fish up, guts and all. Nearly all contaminants are in the parts we don't eat, especially in the belly fat and lateral line or "mud vane". A properly prepared fish will not have contaminants.

2. I have eaten fish from the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Huron, where my dad was a charter boat captain. I grew up on fish, and have not had problems due to contaminates. They have even tested my dad for mercury a few years ago and everything was zero.
X2

not to mention the ammount you have to consume to acutually be effected...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Any claims like that are BS. The water here is cleaner than its ever been and fishing is 10x what its ever been.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Have the Asian Carp made it into there yet?

·
FETTFMF!!!
4,094 Posts
Only if you want the Corvair of boats. Some of the newer models are ok, but most are way underpowered with a cheap hull you can see through with a flashlight.

·
Ronald Reagans Ultra Ego.
7,452 Posts
What amazing is who actualy owns bayliner and the fact that the same boats are made on the same production line.......

So tell me what makes a bayliner under powerd compaired to say a searay?

If the Boats clean and The price is right they are fine.

·
FETTFMF!!!
4,094 Posts
I have seen plenty of 22-24' bayliners with 6 cyl engines in them. They are fine if you dont mind going 20mph or are in an inland lake, but if you are on the big lake, would you want to be stuck in 6-8' waves with a 10 mile run to get back to port? I grew up on charter boats in Lake huron fishing for salmon, you couldnt pay me enough to go out on a bayliner. A friend of mine bought a 24' hard top and it took us 3 miles to get on plane with 3 people as far forward as we could get. Bayliner makes a nice looking boat with a lot of extras. The problem is, the money has to come from somewhere, so the hull suffers. The new boats may be better, but all of the older Great Lakes Hardtop models were a POS. The only thig worth a damn on them was the Volvo outdrives.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts