Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me here how you proved before and after? I can't get into who it is but my engine was ruined by a machine shop. Long storey short i dropped off my engine to be machined the shop didn't do it the way i wanted. Now my parts don't fit properly and the shop is saying it was needed. I didn't pay the shop for their opinion or to build only to machine everything like i wanted.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is small claims court is only good for $5000.00 ....This shop doesn't even have general liabilty insurance .It could get pretty ugly and costly for both of us.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
i worked at a auto machine shop once if the guy is willing to make it right for you it would be better for everyone to let him make it good, i would try that before i lost my cool if he is an asshole you have no choice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
do you have in writing what the scope of work was supposed to be? Are you able to prove that the machine work received caused damage or inability to use certain parts? Not saying , just asking. Having it in writing will go a long way in court. Or even just the threat of going to court. Do you trust them to make it right?

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Need to hear more of the story. Sounds intersting. Why did they do it ther way and not yours? Have you used them before?
No never used them before. I'm not going to mention the shop at this time we both have Attorneys talking this out. I'm going to have to file suit if the shop doesn't step up. My piston paperwork has the phrase "DO NOT bore cylinders larger than specified finished bore size"... I can prove this one but shop stated more clearance was needed for my application. The pistons were custom for my application to handle over 40 psi. The block had a fire ring and the depth of ring was .015.. I ordered pistons with a .020 shorter pin height and when mocked up found piston sticking .040 out the hole. The line hone was manipulated to a smaller size to run clevite X bearings that's not what i asked to do i wanted ACL back in the motor with std size. I had one cylinder head that had been repaired in the chamber about the size of a quarter. I asked the shop to cut that area down and reweld to remove porosity. It was just a cosmetic fix for me and told them under no circumstance not to cut the heads beyond a clean up pass of .001-.002... If you can't get the porosity out just leave alone but the shop cut .040 off the deck on both heads. Then the shop unshrouded the chambers to gain the cc back also to my bore size. I didn't ask for any of this and they tried to charge me for their screw up.
The problem i have right now the Attorney's don't understand all this technical talk. I have before and after pictures of my parts. If i have to i will assemble this engine in the court room and show what has happened. The intake and pushrods don't even come close to working now.

·
T/S 368E
29,969 Posts

I sued a machine shop. It was long and expensive.
They of course lie about everything and delay every step possible.
My guy was little and could not afford to pay for all the damage he did,
so he screwed around as long as possible. Went so far as to get a job, and file against me,
saying I drove him out of business by telling everyone what he did.

I would do it again, but it really upset my wife.
If you have 4 times more to spend then the lawyer says it will cost ,
then sue the frick out of him. Just be warned, it's long and hard.
My guy took advantage of what happened to my children.
He knows what he did, and he has to remember that every time he looks in the mirror.
Payback is hell, one way or another.

Good luck, if you do it, be ready for the long haul, or don't waste your time & money.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Sounds like the machine shop just did what they though needed done n didnt listen to you at all maybe first motor to this degree they ever tryed?..Sounds like u got a good case problem is u walk into a machine shop drop off your stuff n tell them what ya want done usually nothing signed or on paper!!!

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like the machine shop just did what they though needed done n didnt listen to you at all maybe first motor to this degree they ever tryed?..Sounds like u got a good case problem is u walk into a machine shop drop off your stuff n tell them what ya want done usually nothing signed or on paper!!!
I've learned my lesson. Next time i go to a shop i want the quote on paper. I'm going to write on the quote everything i aske for and have them initial it. They would probably tell me to get out. I could go to small claims and get the 5 grand within a few months to replace the block at least and walk away.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Was this an aftermarket block? Sounds like the block won't work for you anymore. How far did they deck the block? Did they even have enough material to keep that piston in the hole? What needs to be done with the heads at this point to make them workable? What are you looking for to make you happy?

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
I've learned my lesson. Next time i go to a shop i want the quote on paper. I'm going to write on the quote everything i aske for and have them initial it. They would probably tell me to get out. I could go to small claims and get the 5 grand within a few months to replace the block at least and walk away.

If you don't have a signed contract for the work to be done, I doubt you will prevail in court, unless the machine shop comes into court and admits they did the job differently than you had both agreed upon, which is unlikely to happen.

·
T/S 368E
29,969 Posts

I forgot to mention, when it's he said, she said kind of case.
You are probably going to need to hire 2 highly respected machinist,
to testify about what is the standard procedures for that combination.
My guy was screwed, when every shop I contacted admitted he ruined my engine.
I found some guys willing to testify, and I hired 2 to be expert witness'.

Like I said, long, hard and expensive.
Hope your guy is the one in a million that doesn't drag it out forever.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,108 Posts

WHAT I'VE LEARNED OVER THE YEARS OF WORKING FOR PEOPLE......IS.... YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOUR TOLD! :)

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I forgot to mention, when it's he said, she said kind of case.
You are probably going to need to hire 2 highly respected machinist,
to testify about what is the standard procedures for that combination.
My guy was screwed, when every shop I contacted admitted he ruined my engine.
I found some guys willing to testify, and I hired 2 to be expert witness'.

Like I said, long, hard and expensive.
Hope your guy is the one in a million that doesn't drag it out forever.

That's how i found out about the line hone. When i took block home the crank was too tight. I didn't mock the engine up yet. When i called machine shop he said block needed clevite X bearings for the crank to fit. I was told he done nothing wrong this is what i have to use. So i took the block to another machine shop to fix line hone and it was tight .001... One of the main caps wasn't even cut. During this time i had this new shop check the piston clearance and mocked up the motor writing everything down. What's funny the response i got from his attorney was piston clearance needed to be larger the suggested clearance was only good for 500HP. I couldn't believe the attorney put this in writing.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You need to search for written industry standards. Books, articles, manufacturer recommendations, written testamoney from reputable shops, or someone who may qualify as an expert to help prove your case. The courts will not understand how to build your engine, but perhaps you can show them enough information to prove a fault

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
I sued a machine shop. It was long and expensive.
They of course lie about everything and delay every step possible.

That is why i didnt take the machine shop that screwed all my stuff up to court...I knew they would lie about everything' just like they lied about everything they were suppose to have done to start with...Which i had plenty of backup and pics to prove everything...The way i look at it' i lost lots & lots of money and was lied to ' but they will have their day coming...You can't do people this wrong and it not come back on you 3fold..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts