·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hoses, water pump, torches..

Nitrous bottle heater=pool heater

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I really want to make one of these for my pool. Living in New England really only gives you 2 months at the most. You end up doing all the work and spending all the $ for 2 months! There are 2 companies i found that make these. The main thing is the coils have to be S.S. not copper. The chlorine will affect the cooper and turn pool green. If you have a 20x40 pool you need like 120 feet of coils inside heater. 120 ft of S.S. tubing is not cheap.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I really want to make one of these for my pool. Living in New England really only gives you 2 months at the most. You end up doing all the work and spending all the $ for 2 months! There are 2 companies i found that make these. The main thing is the coils have to be S.S. not copper. The chlorine will affect the cooper and turn pool green. If you have a 20x40 pool you need like 120 feet of coils inside heater. 120 ft of S.S. tubing is not cheap.
Can you use pex in place of copper or SS tubing?

Chris

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
OH FYI this is a woodburning pool heater. I wanted something I really would not have to pay for fuel. I can get enough free dead trees.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
My pool is 16x32- 7' deep. I have 5 solar panels on the roof and we start warming the pool in late March and keep running it until late Oct-Mid Nov if it's not getting cold at night.

Mine use the pool pump to push the water through the panels, so the is no additional cost there.
Most people run their pump 8 hours a day anyway, even though it's not really necessary. If I run mine daily mine gets TOO warm like 96*,,,not really refreshing after a day in the FLA sun.
Another cheap way to warm it is using a solar blanket- $80-$100. It's just a pain taking it off / on all the time.

You can buy them in kits on E-bay. The whole wood burning thing seems like a lot of work and inconsistant.(sp)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Get a big BLACK plastic garbage can with lid, and 200 ft of black plastic 1-1/2" flexible tubing. Not the corrugated types, the smooth wall. Drill a hole at the bottom side of the can and install one end of the pipe. Coil the pipe into the can from bottom to top making sure that the pipe contacts the inside wall of the can. Add another hole at the top of the can wall for the outlet. Next, Fill the middle area with reflective material against the pipe (Aluminized bubble wrap)Then pack the void with insulation. Finally, seal the lid of the can to the can with silicone to prent water getting in and heat escaping.
Place the assembly in the area of your yard that gets the most sun. Plumb the bottom inlet to the filter outlet and the top outlet to the pool return.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts