Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my 496 bbc engine back the way it was when I bought it (engine came with paper work of all the internals). I installed new gapless rings, new cam (found 1 wiped lobe on the cam) and lifters(found 2 worned lifters), all new bearings. I also installed 2 new valve springs that I found with broken inner springs. I didnt touch the carb and I sat the timing (38 degrees) back to where it was before the rebuild and Im also shifting at the same rpm. I went to the track tonight and she lost .06 in the 60 foot and 1.7 off of my 8th mile ET. Im wondering if I should get this thing dyno tuned again. I was thinking she would run alot faster since I found the 2 broken inner valve springs, wiped cam lobe, and 2 worned roller lifters during the rebuild which cause the engine to pop going down the track at high rpms in high gear. Im stratching my head wondering how could a engine with 110 passes on it with a few worned parts run faster than the exact same engine with 2 passes on it. hhhhhmmmmmm. Any input???

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Did you redegree the cam or just put back where the old one was?
you have to redegree any time you change a cam because of the amout of advance that is built in to the cam can vary from one to another
and did you change all of the springs or just the two ?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I replaced two valve springs. The machine shop said the rest were ok. I just put the cam where the old one was. I took a pic of it before I pulled the cam out during tear down and I lined it back up with the new cam by using the picture. I didnt switch the cam I bought the exact same cam so do I still have to redegree it anyway? Thanks for the responses..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bad thing is im not sure if the guy I bought the motor from had the cam degreed in advance or retarded. His shop went outa business so im SOL.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
take it somewhere and pay someoone to do it for you.
DING DING DING

My old cam car that came with the engine states degree intake lobe to 108 At Top Dead Center, but the guy who built it stratched 108 out and wrote 107.5. He also used 1.8 rockers when cam asked for 1.7, he said he called Bullet Cams before he installed the rockers to make sure that was ok. (Rockers were grinded to make it work) Engine was built by Performance Racing Engines in Morehead City, NC

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea it looks like they updated the cam. It has the same part number but I don't know when the guy who actually built this motor bought it. If you look the serial number my old one has quite a bit less numbers.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well then it is not a fair comparison. Looks like they changed more than a few things about that cam. I see duration numbers that have changed, lash has changed, and the timing events. Not to mention it was not degreed in the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts