Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving in Louisiana a while back. Opened the mailbox the other day and received a speeding ticket from the city i got it in. Picture of my car on the ticket.

Civil, not criminal fine, I think.

Anyone else ever get a ticket from an unmanned radar station before? Dd you pay it? I don't live in that city or even in that state.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
My girlfriend got a "camera" ticket a few years ago. It had her picture, very clearly driving her car. She paid the fine, which was about eighty bucks I think. They have since removed most, if not all of these devices from highways in our state (Arizona).

Funny, but true story about this subject. Several years ago, a brand new freeway loop was built around Phoenix. Loop 202 was three or four lanes each direction with wide sweeping curves. When the Loop was first completed they installed speed sensing cameras at several locations. Speeding ticket was a flat $75.00 for each infraction, so guys with really fast cars would go out there middle of the night when there was no traffic and see who could generate the highest official speed (certified by Arizona Departmant of Public Safety) complete with official speed and a picture of the car. These guys would gladly pay the 75 bucks, do more tuning or modifying and go out there again to make another run. The state finally wised up and began a new fine structure, instead of 75 bucks for each infraction, the next ticket was $150, then $300, then $600, etc., etc. These cameras have also now been removed too . . .

·
Banned
4,023 Posts
My girlfriend got a "camera" ticket a few years ago. It had her picture, very clearly driving her car. She paid the fine, which was about eighty bucks I think. They have since removed most, if not all of these devices from highways in our state (Arizona).

Funny, but true story about this subject. Several years ago, a brand new freeway loop was built around Phoenix. Loop 202 was three or four lanes each direction with wide sweeping curves. When the Loop was first completed they installed speed sensing cameras at several locations. Speeding ticket was a flat $75.00 for each infraction, so guys with really fast cars would go out there middle of the night when there was no traffic and see who could generate the highest official speed (certified by Arizona Departmant of Public Safety) complete with official speed and a picture of the car. These guys would gladly pay the 75 bucks, do more tuning or modifying and go out there again to make another run. The state finally wised up and began a new fine structure, instead of 75 bucks for each infraction, the next ticket was $150, then $300, then $600, etc., etc. These cameras have also now been removed too . . .
cool story

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The camera ticket system was (is) quite a money-maker. Camera would snap the picture and sent the pic to a computer somewhere, then the computer would locate the name and address of the person the vehicle was registered to, calculate the fine, print the ticket, fold it, address it and put it into the outgoing mail. NEVER touched by human hands!!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Problem is, I think that if you do not pay the ticket they can refuse to renew your vehicle registration until the fine is paid . . . . .

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
They just outlawed red light cams statewide in Texas on June 1 to go into official effect Sept 1.

Most cities just said fuck it and turned them off after the Gov signed the law on June 1, but some have contracts the keep them active until the current contract expires.

Some county tax assessors would block registrations but quite a few said F that, we are not collectors for private companies which is basically what it was.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I friend got a mail ticket from New Orleans a while back, for making turn on red without completely stopping. It was the valet driver, because it was right after they arrived at the hotel. It didn't matter, they still had to pay the ticket or show up at court with definitive proof that it was someone else driving.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I got one in Tenn a couple years ago. It was on a highway right by a Walmart. They dropped the speed limit right there from 60 to 45. I lifted off the gas but did not put on the brakes so it got me at like 50. The ticket was $50 but I did not pay it. I have not heard anything on it sense. I did have to pay a fee to the rental car company to find out what it was first and that was like a $20 fee. The rental was on my company credit card and we have to pay those if we get them. I was picking up a co worker to go to the home office and when I told her about it, she said oh don't worry I have 5 or 6 of them and have not paid them.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I live in the motherland of Photo Radar, we issue more Photo tix than all the other big city's in Canada combined.

They hide on overpasses shooting down, behind bushes and they are allways illegally parking the trucks.

It's gotten so bad people are fighting back. Someone threw a newspaper box over an overpass onto a Photo van down below, and the vehicles are allways being attacked. It's open season on Photo vehicles. They are even putting them in garbage trucks, dump trucks and old ambulances on the side of the road.

There are a group that put out signs before Photo vehicles, and do they ever get hassled.

The PO-leece have givin out $500 tickets for having a cracked licence (even though he wasn't driving) and are handing out stunting tickets even though Crown Prosecutors said they won't enforce those tickets. Don't fuck with the cash cow!

Every time I have to renew my registration I allways have 3 or 4 of them to pay, just another tax :smt093

·
Moderater
15,094 Posts
Good reason to get one of those clear plastic covers for the plate..

·
Registered
13,037 Posts
I've always ignored them based on the premise that I wasn't served by an officer. County wised up and now, if you ignore the first few mailers, they'll supposedly send an officer to serve you AND charge you a fee for the trouble. I paid a recent speeding ticket but I'm waiting out a red light ticket to see if they're just bluffing.

·
Registered
13,496 Posts
I got one a couple years ago from a road trip to DC. I guess I entered a toll lane for a short distance. With that traffic (and drivers) in DC I was happy to make it home alive!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.