Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Maderator
16,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 2 turbo's for a volvo diesel industrial engine and i was pondering doing a SUPER cheap turbo build for a rolling chassis i alrerady have, it would basically be just for having fun on the street but it may make it to the track, anyone ever do anything like this before? im talking CHEAP. i dont want to see any 50,000 dollar engines. lol

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Buddy of mine took a turbo off a john deere tractor,put a 5.4 from a Ford truck into a vert fox body,did all the piping himself. Made like 400 something horse,nothing was done to the motor though. Got it in Muscle Mustangs magazine for doing it though.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
For 400hp, not worth it. JMO. If you can make some steam with it, then I would try it. My cousin has 2 turbos off a 7.3 Ford diesel that he is going to put on his 95 Mustang. I don't know if they will work well or not, but I guess we'll find out. lol.

·
Maderator
16,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to steal the thread - What about the cars that came from the factory with turbos and with just a couple mods rip pretty good? Like some of the MOPAR 4 cylinders.

Find em in used car lots & junk yards too.
im mainly wanting to just use stuff i already have, but you make a good point.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Most of the diesel turbos don't work very well on gasoline engine.They're designed for engine that have a 1800rpm governor.Put that on a gasoline engine and turn 7k and you'll be unhappy.

·
Registered
15,534 Posts
Most of the diesel turbos don't work very well on gasoline engine.They're designed for engine that have a 1800rpm governor.Put that on a gasoline engine and turn 7k and you'll be unhappy.
I've heard that, but can't tell him shit. It's his car, I wish him best of luck. Will running twins make any diff? Sorry man, I don't mean to hijack. No more questions from me.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Buddy of mine built a bone stock 5.0 engine setup--never even had the valve covers of of it. Put two Holset turbo's off of a cummins diesel(dodge trucks) built some home made stuff for the plumbing and put it in a fox body coupe with a glide and went some 6.20's in the 1/8 mile--can be done easily--i had a stock 302 build in my coupe with a $600 dollar ebay gt45 turbo and all home made plumbing and i went 6.30's in the 1/8 at only 10 lbs. boost. Go to "the turbo forums.com" more info on this topic than you can read in a day.

·
Banned
31,418 Posts
Buddy of mine took a turbo off a john deere tractor,put a 5.4 from a Ford truck into a vert fox body,did all the piping himself. Made like 400 something horse,nothing was done to the motor though. Got it in Muscle Mustangs magazine for doing it though.

i have the article to that car,always liked the car myself-cept the red interior-but to each his own

·
Registered
16,906 Posts
thinkin about it myself
same here. a buddy of mine gave me a turbo off a buick gn. and another buddy of mine can get and make all the piping at work for free. i posted this in the "turbo" section on here and nobody heard the part where i said CHEAP

·
Registered
439 Posts
Got a buddy that put a turbo off of a diesel truck on a 150,xxx mile LQ4 in his 72 Chevy 4wd. He found the turbo sitting in the mud at a local scrap metal recycler. The truck has 44" Boggers and will blow them off at a 10-15 mph roll. He is all about stuff like this. Only things I think he bought new were the MSD 6010 and the Victor intake. Found a used blow thru carb on ebay and did all the piping himself. He is one helluva fabricator. Ill post some pics if I didn't delete them from my inbox.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Ive got a turbo off of a 6bt cummins with the waste gate on it. Ive always wanted to put it on something to see how it would work. I know the rpm factor would play a part but it wouldnt be on a low reving motor proly round 5500.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts