Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 national records were eclipsed Sat nite at the YB's in similar fashion, Deckers 4.06 backed up with 4.09 in Outlaw 10.5 and Mills 4.06 backed up with 4.09 in Pro-Drag radial. I think this will keep the tire debate alive and thriving..:cool:

·
-----------------
3,683 Posts
Theres no debate. 200lbs, no wheelie bars, and smaller tire.

·
11,821 Posts
Theres no debate. 200lbs, no wheelie bars, and smaller tire.
All due respect ....you left out a critical piece of info in you post.

Yes the Radial Car is 200lbs heavier, has smaller tire & no wheelie bars. But keep in mind they also have huge 98mm turbos vs 94mm turbos for 10.5 cars. The advantage of the bigger turbo levels the playing field and makes up for the weight difference. The 98mm turbos provide 2 KEY advantages....

A) obviously they make way more power thru the middle and out the back

B) perhaps the biggest advantage of the 98mm turbo is they are "SOFT" At the hit and early in the run which allow radial teams to launch nice and apply non stop power out the back.

The tire debate will go on....we all saw fantastic performances last 2 days at YB Nats and we all saw with our own eyes both 10.5 & PDR teams have equal performance under current rules. We just have to be clear when making statements and note Drag Radial teams are heavier, smaller tire, don't have bars but also have much more power which overcomes the weight & tire issue.

I know this isn't a popular statement but the day has come were both classes ( 10.5 & PDR ) should be limited to 88mm turbos. The effects of such would be greater competition, softer on parts, safer racing & with same power in different
Chassis types one could could then see differences tire & weight make.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Never heard, which one was quicker?

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
All due respect ....you left out a critical piece of info in you post.

Yes the Radial Car is 200lbs heavier, has smaller tire & no wheelie bars. But keep in mind they also have huge 98mm turbos vs 94mm turbos for 10.5 cars. The advantage of the bigger turbo levels the playing field and makes up for the weight difference. The 98mm turbos provide 2 KEY advantages....

A) obviously they make way more power thru the middle and out the back

B) perhaps the biggest advantage of the 98mm turbo is they are "SOFT" At the hit and early in the run which allow radial teams to launch nice and apply non stop power out the back.

The tire debate will go on....we all saw fantastic performances last 2 days at YB Nats and we all saw with our own eyes both 10.5 & PDR teams have equal performance under current rules. We just have to clear when making statements and note Drag Radial teams are heavier, smaller tire, don't have bars but also have much more power which overcomes the weight & tire issue.

I know this isn't a popular statement but the day has come were both classes ( 10.5 & PDR ) should be limited to 88mm turbos. The effects of such would be greater competition, softer on parts, safer racing & with same power in different
Chassis types one could could then see differences tire & weight make.
Do you know what the 60 and 330 incremental times were for the two cars?

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
No sir....I'm not aware of such.
Ok thanks, I would expect it to come out as this tire debate rages on. I can understand your position on the subject with you being a promoter, competitor and one of the very best ambassadors of this type of racing. But the contraversy is what keeps the interest up, especially now that the cars have reached the plateau where performance gains and new records aren't a weekly occurrence. As bad as I hate to admit it even someone like Jeremy Fowler isn't all bad for the sport.

I just hope the Outlaw 10.5 guys are quicker by the end of the race or we're gonna be asking Monty if he wants salt or pepper with that Crow...... Or maybe Duck would be more appropriate.;)

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Any car that can 60 ft this fast on a radial is not easier power management because the turbo is bigger. Lol
Yeah but I would expect Decker to be close to a tenth quicker to the sixty. But it's not all 60, the 330 difference will be very interesting to see also.

·
OL 10.5 TTF
11,901 Posts
Yeah but I would expect Decker to be close to a tenth quicker to the sixty. But it's not all 60, the 330 difference will be very interesting to see also.
Low 2.70 high 2.60 is what the screw cars run for a good 4.0 pass in OL 10.5. Being there in person, the OL 10.5 class is a lot more entertaining due to the number of quality cars, and the diversity in power adders/combos. Seeing Mills run those numbers was very cool though, it's amazing what these guys are doing. Eliminations should be great!!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,649 Posts
WHO CARES ABOUT THE TIRE.....THOSE ARE SOME AWESOME PASSES......SO IS IT SAFE TO SAY....TEAM SOUTH FTW? :)

·
11,821 Posts
100% agree both classes are AMAZING and it was Great watching both. Hats off to both Team Decker & Team Mills on outstanding performances. If anybody really wanted to do a true Radial vs Outlaw 10.5 comparison you should match the weight and the power....for example both cars weighing 3,000 lbs with 94mm or you can try both cars at 3200lbs with 98mm.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,649 Posts
100% agree both classes are AMAZING and it was Great watching both. Hats off to both Team Decker & Team Mills on outstanding performances. If anybody really wanted to do a true Radial vs Outlaw 10.5 comparison you should match the weight and the power....for example both cars weighing 3,000 lbs with 94mm or you can try both cars at 3200lbs with 98mm.
WHAT'S YOUR ANGLE HERE BOSS?....IS COMBINING THESE TWO CLASSES GONNA PUT A LITTLE GREEN IN DA WALLET

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Low 2.70 high 2.60 is what the screw cars run for a good 4.0 pass in OL 10.5. Being there in person, the OL 10.5 class is a lot more entertaining due to the number of quality cars, and the diversity in power adders/combos. Seeing Mills run those numbers was very cool though, it's amazing what these guys are doing. Eliminations should be great!!
I'm aware of the times both classes run, I would just like to see the incremental from both cars on the record setting passes since they were on the exact same surface at basically the same time. And to be fair to the Outlaw radial cars several of the big name racers didn't make this race, but that doesn't make the outlaw 10.5 cars and their field any less impressive.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
WHAT'S YOUR ANGLE HERE BOSS?....IS COMBINING THESE TWO CLASSES GONNA PUT A LITTLE GREEN IN DA WALLET
Combining them probably isn't the way to go, but a King of the Hill between the two class winners would be cool.

·
OL 10.5 TTF
11,901 Posts
I'm aware of the times both classes run, I would just like to see the incremental from both cars on the record setting passes since they were on the exact same surface at basically the same time. And to be fair to the Outlaw radial cars several of the big name racers didn't make this race, but that doesn't make the outlaw 10.5 cars and their field any less impressive.
Agreed, I love both classes!! And how about the turnout for Outlaw Big Tire? They were putting on a show!!

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Agreed, I love both classes!! And how about the turnout for Outlaw Big Tire? They were putting on a show!!
But as Dave said match wt and power. But he left out the 10' wheelie bars..lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts