Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really lucky. I live withing 4 miles of Cable Airport, which is entirely owned by the Cable family. It is called the world's largest privately-owned, public-use airport by virtue of the number of aircraft based here, over 450. It has one runway only, 3865-feet, and is home to many vintage aircraft (no jets allowed). Twice a year Cable Airport hosts an Air Show, where they open up the hangers, have aircraft fly-ins, WWII war bird fly-byes, aerobatics, raffles for rides in vintage planes, etc. I spent most of the day there yesterday checking out the hundreds of planes on display and took a few photos.

An old Kraut observation plane, can fly as slow as 25 mph and land in as little as 30-feet.

This is an old Russian transport plane. It's been based at Cable for the last couple of years.

Cable Airport seems to be home to many Boeing Stearmans. There must be 20 of 'em here. Most have been rescued from use as crop dusters.

Another Stearman. Climb into the front cockpit and go along for a ride.

A little history here. This particular C-47 pulled a glider full of American troops across the English Channel on D-Day and is still flying today.

Nothing like a B-25 Mitchell bomber to get you stoked up. Nothing like a couple of big radial engines doing a fly-bye 30-feet off the deck to bring a tear to your eye.

Every WWII vintage plane has a story to tell.

I dunno what this is.

Or this one. It's not a Stearman.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

How would you like to have this Stearman in your hanger?

The guy that owned the Stearman above also owned this old Ryan trainer. Both planes did fly-byes.

I don't think this bi-plane was that old, at least not old enough to have had a radial engine in it.

A work in progress.

Alot of work in progress. There are FAA guys at Cable that can certify these planes as air-worthy when they are finished.

Any Air Show with vintage planes also brings out the vintage cars. Two Model-A sedans and a Model-A pick-up, all 1929. These are from my car club, the Old School Route-66 Cruzzers.

The pick-um-up truck in the center is mine. A wonderful day was had by all as hundreds of folks showed up.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I love old aircraft like those, radial engines have a sound like no other engine out there.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
I love ANYTHING mechanical from that era! Even old industrial equipment has a flare in the design.

When I live in Florida, we were next door to Lakeland Linder regional airport, which has the second largest fly-in in the country. Every year we'd go out of the office and watch the acrobatics, etc.
There were always a few fighter planes flying in formations. And one year there was a B-24 and a B-25... the sound of those engines spooling up and then taking off was awe-inspiring. They launched right over our tech shop, and I was certain I could have hit them with a baseball!

I can't imagine what it was like with hundreds of them in the air, flying in formation.

-Brad

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
I love ANYTHING mechanical from that era! Even old industrial equipment has a flare in the design.

When I live in Florida, we were next door to Lakeland Linder regional airport, which has the second largest fly-in in the country. Every year we'd go out of the office and watch the acrobatics, etc.
There were always a few fighter planes flying in formations. And one year there was a B-24 and a B-25... the sound of those engines spooling up and then taking off was awe-inspiring. They launched right over our tech shop, and I was certain I could have hit them with a baseball!

I can't imagine what it was like with hundreds of them in the air, flying in formation.

-Brad
SUN-N-FUN FLYIN ;)

·
Registered
824 Posts
F4F Wildcat, my great uncle flew one in WWII.

Correct. It was built by Grumman, and was their first mono wing fighter. That goofy, narrow landing gear was a carry over from their bi-planes, where the wings were to thin to hold retractable landing gear.

The F6F Hellcat was Grumman's next fighter, followed by the F8F Bearcat.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jimmy Bigg's dad had airplanes when Jimmy was growing up. I took Jimmy over to Cable Airport once when he was hanging out with me, he loved it too. There is just something wonderful about these smaller airports in my opinion, where you can just park your car and watch the small planes take off and land. Very relaxing way to spend an hour or two and unwind.

Here are some more photos from Cable Airport, I did not take these...

1 - 20 of 150 Posts