Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
43,343 Posts
Lemans Blue would be easier but, those early colors have very fine metallic fakes in their formulas that are now using tiny plastic pearl tints along with tiny metallic flakes in them, to mimic the old look. Those do tend to blotch or mottle a little more than colors with normal sized flakes.

My Camaro is Lemans Blue.

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Lemans Blue would be easier but, those early colors have very fine metallic fakes in their formulas that are now using tiny plastic pearl tints along with tiny metallic flakes in them, to mimic the old look. Those do tend to blotch or mottle a little more than colors with normal sized flakes.

Nice car frank. So how do you prevent blotching or mottling?

·
43,343 Posts
When applying the base coat, do not put it on too wet. "Too wet" coats are usually caused by moving too slow or spraying too close.That will cause the blotching and mottling. If your pressure is too high, the paint will be concentrated on the top and bottom of your fan pattern, end that will cause tiger striping. Nice semi wet coats, with at least 50% overlap with each pass of the gun and a little cross hatching diagonally, (fogging), after you finish a coat on each panel, will help even off the flake.

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
When applying the base coat, do not put it on too wet. "Too wet" coats are usually caused by moving too slow or spraying too close.That will cause the blotching and mottling. If your pressure is too high, the paint will be concentrated on the top and bottom of your fan pattern, end that will cause tiger striping. Nice semi wet coats, with at least 50% overlap with each pass of the gun and a little cross hatching diagonally, (fogging), after you finish a coat on each panel, will help even off the flake.
Thanks Frank!!!

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,296 Posts
Thanks dude! It might turn out like a sticky half eaten jolly rancher so when you see it in the pits don’t lean up against it.
Geerbangr;

I can walk you through the whole process.

I have done this many times before.

952-212-1118

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Gary thanks for the offer. I’ll keep you on speed dial.

·
Registered
65,799 Posts
Block sanding is your friend. Keep that in mind ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Using a guide coat of spray bomb in a contrasting color will show any low spots when block sanding without needing the “feel” of a bodyman’s hand.

·
Registered
26,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I’ve rounded up all the supplies to do the body work. I’ve got to finish the rearend up on my gasser then I’m going to jump on the Nogo.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts

What color is the stripes?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts