Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see if anyone is doing it with success? Or, just how consitent, quick spooling, etc can you make a turbo setup? Wondering if it's feasable to have a reasonably fast car(mid-low 5's in the 1/8th) and be consistent enough to go rounds? :confused:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just curious to see if anyone is doing it with success? Or, just how consitent, quick spooling, etc can you make a turbo setup? Wondering if it's feasable to have a reasonably fast car(mid-low 5's in the 1/8th) and be consistent enough to go rounds? :confused:
A buddy of ours tried running the 6.0 class at our local track. It didn't work out real well. He had a hell of a time trying to slow it down. In all fairness, he didn't stick with it for too long.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You could do it - just have to spend the money to get a good engine management / boost control and size the turbo correctly.

What size motor and turbo are we talking about? What is the chassis/tire combo?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I used to bracket race my first GN all the time. I kept the engine right around 180 all day, so when it got down to doing round robin, the motor wasn't a bunch hotter than previous runs. It was a mid-11 second car at the time, and it would stay within .01-.02 as long as the ambient air temp didn't change a bunch. Keeping the turbine housing hot helped a lot with keeping the boost consistent.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could do it - just have to spend the money to get a good engine management / boost control and size the turbo correctly.

What size motor and turbo are we talking about? What is the chassis/tire combo?

If I did it I'd probably stay with the 421sb. I figure a single 80mm-91mm with the right A/R should spool quick. I'd be more concerned with the spooling and consistency than all out performance. My car will is stock suspension but I can fit a 30" tall tire and as wide as I want. Full Calvert setup in rear, d/a shocks and tube a-arms in front, 25.5 moly chassis.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've got a twin turbo SBF Mustang that I've been bracket and index racing this year. Car's been 8.80's (19psi boost), but for bracket and index I slow it down to 9.50's (12psi boost). It's pretty damn consistant. Last week went 9.54, 9.56, 9.58. Car is Bigstuff3 EFI, electronic boost controller, TH400, air to water and drag radials.

Rob

·
Registered
125 Posts
Went many rounds bracket racing the GN. The car would run 10.0s at the time. I would turn it down to a 10.50 tune. The car was very consistent that way. Had a few wins and runner up finishes. When I would try to bracket the car with all the cards on the table the ET was all over the map.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Although I have yet to bracket race with this setup, if I leave everything alone it will run back to back numbers. One night out doing just that the car ran five passes, all various 9.60 - 9.61 passes. Now it's not a mid 5 1/8 car, but if things are set on kill I don't see why you couldn't do it. Oh yeah, my junk is a blow thru.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Although I have yet to bracket race with this setup, if I leave everything alone it will run back to back numbers. One night out doing just that the car ran five passes, all various 9.60 - 9.61 passes. Now it's not a mid 5 1/8 car, but if things are set on kill I don't see why you couldn't do it. Oh yeah, my junk is a blow thru.
I would think with a blow threw your tune could not be as close to as fuel injection so I would say you might be able to.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That's what I like to see! Anywhere I can see some pics or more about your whole setup?

I'm leaning towards the BW S487, blow through, possibly alcohol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bracket raced my twin turbo tiger a couple of weeks ago and got to the finals, lost because i went back to my old way of staging the car and did'nt get it up on boost. Surpised alot of people because of the top end charge.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Id think staging the car and staying on the brake for extended periods when you are against a much slower car would not be very fun.
Your exactly right on that part and it would be the hardest. I think if your racing 1/8 mile it wouldn't be as bad since the ET gap could be a little less.

Our track races 1/8 mile on Wednesday nights. I mainly wanted to take the car out and freak people out that an all steal car, full interior street car on small tires and quiet to boot could run consistant 6.20's to there guted loud race cars :p

Kyle, I have my current build on theturboforums under the builds section. I haven't been able to nail the tune yet and get the performance I had hoped for out of the S480. I'm pretty sure I'm going FI this winter. If I had room I'd step up to a PT 91.

I had a twin setup on the car last year and I think twins with a somewhat smaller exhaust housing would be a better bracket racing setup. If your not out to set the world on fire, you could spool them very quick. The down side to the smaller housing would be killing some top end power. My .68 a/r turbos came on like I grabbed a 150 shot of nitrous.

·
mfi turbos rule
4,503 Posts
yeep can be done...
my car runs 7.2's @ 191 flat out
(old engine combo : ttsbc 355 turbonetics gtk 550's ... 61mm)
wind it back a tad and can run 7.50 - 7.55 any day of the week
need a weather station to do this
use a 2 step to launch at same rpm and boost every time...
repeatablity is the secert.

good luck in your racing.

ash

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
bracket race mine. It's dead nuts on the number I set it up for. Car is a middle 5 car in the 1/8. I just dial it back cut snail 60ft (1.5x's) and run 6.000 @ 120 out the back door.. it's hella fun and the NA bracket guys that sandbag can't stand it.

I find it amusing to run a [email protected] agains a [email protected] car around my local tracks.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Id think staging the car and staying on the brake for extended periods when you are against a much slower car would not be very fun.
Run a nitrous shot to spool the turbo and have it shut off at a set psi. Helps with consistancy and it is a lot easier on your converter/trans compared to sitting there building boost on the tbrake.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Run a nitrous shot to spool the turbo and have it shut off at a set psi. Helps with consistancy and it is a lot easier on your converter/trans compared to sitting there building boost on the tbrake.
sounds like your way would be less kill on the trans and trans fluid correct?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts