Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm think i'm ready to unload this place. I'm sick to death of being stressed out 24-7, i'm sick of trying to make deadlines when i'm all by myself, i'm tired of 14-16 hour days, i'm tired of people who want everything for nothing, i'm tired of trying to get ahead of the game so I can hire some help but everytime I seem to reach that point the rug gets yanked out from under me, i'm tired of being improperly equipped for this type of work yet I can't seem to build up or get the capital to buy what is necessary to make things go faster, i'm tired of watching my kids life pass by me and yet i'm rarely ever there to see it happen because i'm always at this phuking place trying my best to keep a roof over my families head and food on the table, i'm tired of busting my ass over something that's people's hobbies and I get grief because I can't get it done fast enough. I'm just tired and i'm beginning to think I just want out. :sad:

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Welcome to cars in general Dan. Need a vacation???

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
And you have busted my balls for stating some of the same stuff. Just go play a round of golf, get away, and take a breath. It is nothing new to be doing things for others and it be their hobby. Thats the norm. I would think it is how you pay your bills? So probably not that easy to just stop. BG

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Dan if it was easy everyone would do it,get plenty of sleep,don,t feel guilty if you say no,and always add a week or atleast a couple of days to your deadline,this way when you finish before your a hero..and take some time for you first, not last,if these people value your work they will wait..

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Dan, I feel your pain... I want to produce work at a high quality level, but it seems that nobody that I hire cares to, or doesn't have the capacity to learn how to do it well..

I myself am tired of babysitting employees because its MY name that goes on the job and giving THEM the paycheck.. I have been in business for myself since 1991, I have watched engine/machine shops come and go, and come and go AGAIN, but I have stuck around through it all..

Being self employed has given me a chance to go through TWO marriages, I have had 3 stress tests, an angiogram, all kinds of neat stuff, ALL due to stress, its a beautiful thing..:party

·
Registered
906 Posts
Dan I feel exactly like you but I am in a different business. The main question is do you love what you do? I sure as shit don't, but I need to support my family. I hope you love what you do a little bit, if you do than I wish I could be you!!! Take some time off and hopefully it will come to you.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Dan if it was easy everyone would do it,get plenty of sleep,don,t feel guilty if you say no,and always add a week or atleast a couple of days to your deadline,this way when you finish before your a hero..and take some time for you first, not last,if these people value your work they will wait..
Very true words... I try to get enough sleep, eat pretty good, and ALWAYS enjoy ME time.. My car is my release, I JUST got back from driving it to a car show with a friend and hung out for a couple hours, now time to go out to dinner and grab a couple beers..

Next month is about 10 days off going to Drag Week, so you gotta live, can't make your whole life your business, it WILL kill you. Step back and take a breath, Dan...

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
I'm think i'm ready to unload this place. I'm sick to death of being stressed out 24-7, i'm sick of trying to make deadlines when i'm all by myself, i'm tired of 14-16 hour days, i'm tired of people who want everything for nothing, i'm tired of trying to get ahead of the game so I can hire some help but everytime I seem to reach that point the rug gets yanked out from under me, i'm tired of being improperly equipped for this type of work yet I can't seem to build up or get the capital to buy what is necessary to make things go faster, i'm tired of watching my kids life pass by me and yet i'm rarely ever there to see it happen because i'm always at this phuking place trying my best to keep a roof over my families head and food on the table, i'm tired of busting my ass over something that's people's hobbies and I get grief because I can't get it done fast enough. I'm just tired and i'm beginning to think I just want out. :sad:
I'm no prefessional writer but I don't think thats a good sales pitch..... as to kids growing up....... my kids had it great they went to private school...... vacationed in some cool places..... had cool cars.... nice lives........ but I was always workin to keep them in that shit....... now they grew up and moved out and only call when they need money

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
you need some vht....take some of them fuckers cars for a spin. a fast ass car will relieve some pain

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Like a wise man said it will still be there when your dead and gone so pace your self -i have turned down plenty- raised prices -and i will tell anyone i own this place not you- and work 4-10 hour days so dont let it beat you down it will still be there tomorow and if they cant understand run them off-i have no prob.there is plenty of work out there -spend time with your family

·
Registered
362 Posts
Take a vacation bro

Dude come hang at my house for a weekend do a little boating,waverunning,fishing family would have a blast. I know how you feel my buisness drives me crazy chasing money and shit. Thats why i moved to the beach now i just chill and dont let all the b.s. get to me.Take some advice put your family first they will always be there customers wont!!

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Jimmy, us "KIDS" call it bail:butthead:
The oldest a few years back got locked up in NC for 114 in a 45...... did the late night bail thing and the Mrs says "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT THIS???" I replyed buy him some new tires..... if he's gonna be driving at those speeds I Want him on good rubber
DO NOT USE THAT LINE...... I tested it and it didn't work

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
I don't know you or your work, but this the advice I give everybody that have their own businesses and are in trouble or are stressing it.(Not just Car stuff.)

If you are really good at it. Charge more and do less. You will be happier and so will your customers.

Don't do work for your buddies. Send them to another business and they will return willing to pay your new higher prices after getting a taste of dealing with the other shops. JMO!

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
I don't know you or your work, but this the advice I give everybody that have their own businesses and are in trouble or are stressing it.(Not just Car stuff.)

If you are really good at it. Charge more and do less. You will be happier and so will your customers.

Don't do work for your buddies. Send them to another business and they will return willing to pay your new higher prices after getting a taste of dealing with the other shops. JMO!
X2 i have this hanging in my shop --friends + discounts = bankrupcy

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Dan, I have only met you a time or 2 but hear good things about you and your work. Keep your head up-take a little time off, clear you head and remember why you don't want to work for anyone else. Hope to see you at the races soon-

Ellen

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
hmmmmmmmm, note to self. dont use that line with the wife, when we head out to test my buddies new Z06. LOL.

Dan, keep your chin up. Im sure @ times it REALLY sucks, so does working for someone else. sounds like you need some time off. I hope you have a hobby that does not involve cars. if not take one up. You do AWESOME work, & your client list says that you'll be in work for a long time. keep @ what works for you & change what doesn't.

Bob

The oldest a few years back got locked up in NC for 114 in a 45...... did the late night bail thing and the Mrs says "WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT THIS???" I replyed buy him some new tires..... if he's gonna be driving at those speeds I Want him on good rubber
DO NOT USE THAT LINE...... I tested it and it didn't work

1 - 20 of 187 Posts