Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what i have and it does the job very well. My garage is very well insulated and not very big. Im concerned of its safety and if its ok to leave on all winter long. Ive left it on for a few days at a time with no issues and most of the time the only the only thing burning is the pilot light. My biggest concern is the wall opposite of the heater is my 1 1/2 yr old sons bedroom. I thought of putting a baby monitor in the garage so someone inside could hear the smoke alarm going off in case of a fire and to my advantage someone is always home.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
The heater is pretty safe. Having a pilot light burning in a garage where there are lots if vapors and flammable liquids would be my concern. I have seen lots of those inside homes and never any issues.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
i have one of those in my garage....7 years and no problems....we paint and use brake clean all the time all it does is change the color of the flame......but if it gets to bad in the garage i open the doors a few inches to get some fresh air in.

·
YB Managing Editor
51,141 Posts
Thing I would be concerned with is it's on a single piece of 5/8ths inch sheetrock. I would take it off the wall and put a second piece 5/8ths inch fireboard on the wall then put the heater back up. . The more layers the better fire protection. Then I would sleep better.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I work for a company that makes a similar heater, the rear wall is not the issue the stuff above it and it front would be what I would worry about. The way these heaters are designed and built the heat s coming out the front and rises not out the rear. Most of those heaters have a clearance above like 24 inches and that poster you have above will dry out and light up like kindling after a while. Most of them have a ODS pilot which will shut them off if they burn all the oxygen out of the space. The other big thing is keep it clean. Shut it off and blow it out with an air hose, if the garage is dusty do it more often. If the pilot stops working they need to be cleaned. The pilots will pull dirt in through the air mixture hole and reduce the pilot which will keep the heater from working.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
x2. Hell you can hang it on plastic. Thats not where the heat or problem is going to be.
I work for a company that makes a similar heater, the rear wall is not the issue the stuff above it and it front would be what I would worry about. The way these heaters are designed and built the heat s coming out the front and rises not out the rear. Most of those heaters have a clearance above like 24 inches and that poster you have above will dry out and light up like kindling after a while. Most of them have a ODS pilot which will shut them off if they burn all the oxygen out of the space. The other big thing is keep it clean. Shut it off and blow it out with an air hose, if the garage is dusty do it more often. If the pilot stops working they need to be cleaned. The pilots will pull dirt in through the air mixture hole and reduce the pilot which will keep the heater from working.

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
I ran a propane infrared heater like that for 2 years but wont anymore...You can spray wd40 ' carb cleaner' oil' even the fluid i drained from a trans.....These heaters will draw anything & everything back to the heater and burn it in the air...It messes with my breathing bigtime...My shop is just a 30x30 a' plenty big enough for me but im going with one of the bigger air con with air and heat this year i guess...Couldn't cost anymore than the propane has...

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
any vent free product will burn anything in the air and can cause smell problems, also keep in mind vent free gas burning products will put out water vapor so if you have bare metal and the garage is sealed it will rust

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
This is what i have and it does the job very well. My garage is very well insulated and not very big. Im concerned of its safety and if its ok to leave on all winter long. Ive left it on for a few days at a time with no issues and most of the time the only the only thing burning is the pilot light. My biggest concern is the wall opposite of the heater is my 1 1/2 yr old sons bedroom. I thought of putting a baby monitor in the garage so someone inside could hear the smoke alarm going off in case of a fire and to my advantage someone is always home.
My uncle who lives in Ind, it gets cold as shit up there, he has one in the house and one in the living room. The only thing he says is not to leave it up to much becasue they crank. Make sure you take all the gas or other fuels/liquids that may give off fumes. PUT a smoke detector with carbon dioxide detector in the house near your sons room.

·
Mike
7,430 Posts
i have one of those in my garage....7 years and no problems....we paint and use brake clean all the time all it does is change the color of the flame......but if it gets to bad in the garage i open the doors a few inches to get some fresh air in.
I don't have any experience with the heater, but I just wanted to repeat a warning about CRC Brakleen. Just be careful with it around heat, as the caution on the can states"vapors may decompose to corrosive and toxic gases such as hydrogen chloride and possibly phosgene".(nerve gas) I never read the can before, but someone posted having effects from it once. Don't mean to preach....

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I don't have any experience with the heater, but I just wanted to repeat a warning about CRC Brakleen. Just be careful with it around heat, as the caution on the can states"vapors may decompose to corrosive and toxic gases such as hydrogen chloride and possibly phosgene".(nerve gas) I never read the can before, but someone posted having effects from it once. Don't mean to preach....
thats alright i didnt mean to make it seems i used it so carelessly.. if i used alot i always vented the garage, and turned the heater down if i was using it alot.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've got one in my basement. Whatever you do invest in the little barrel fan that is an option for it. Otherwise all you're doing is heating the metal around it. The fan will throw a bunch of heat out into the room and makes a BIG difference.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I've got one in my basement. Whatever you do invest in the little barrel fan that is an option for it. Otherwise all you're doing is heating the metal around it. The fan will throw a bunch of heat out into the room and makes a BIG difference.
we got one of those with ours and it sucks...a fart as more power than that thing...we put a ceiling fan in the garage to move the air around.

·
Registered
687 Posts
we got one of those with ours and it sucks...a fart as more power than that thing...we put a ceiling fan in the garage to move the air around.
Hrm...mine does pretty well for how small it is. If I leave it unplugged the room is cold and the only area that has any heat is right above the heater. If I turn it on, it takes a while, but it warms the whole room and part of my stairwell. :smt102

1 - 20 of 22 Posts