Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cheeks still hurt from laughing last night. Bob Muravez had a little pizza and beer party with about a dozen guys last night at his place. Bob drove the "Freight Train", our own car the "Pulsator" and a bunch of other diggers over the years, and he was (and still is) a member of the Road Kings. Some other Road Kings were there too, including TV Tommy Ivo. Oh man, the stories. Tom was a practical joker of the first magnitude (impratical might be a better term). One of my favorites was the "hood swap" story and he filled me in on more details last night. It seems that he was at some event (he can't remember where). Tom noticed that most of the dragster guys relied on the dually pick-ups to pull their trailers, and that most of the pick-ups were Chevy's. So, after the track closed for the night and the racers went to their hotels (nobody stayed at the track in motor homes back then), Tom and a buddy snuck back into the pits and swapped hoods. The hoods had a latch in the grill, you din't need to break into the cab to unlatch the hood. They spent all night removing everyone's hoods and swapping them on other trucks. A red truck, for instance, might get a white hood and the guy that had the white truck would get a blue hood, and so on. It was a 16-car field. He told me that it took about five hours to do the deed, but when the racers showed up in the morning, he said it was worth it, guys running around looking to see who had "their" hood.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
LOL! good stuff,,thanks George. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
So did Floyd J. Lippencott Jr. pay for the Pizza and the Beer, or did you guys go Dutch? Too bad fun things like the
"hood swap" just dont/cant happen anymore.

·
My little SBC...
2,694 Posts
He told me that it took about five hours to do the deed, but when the racers showed up in the morning, he said it was worth it, guys running around looking to see who had "their" hood.
Probably still made it to the track on time and raced well.

Great story, George.

Jim

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Thats funny.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So did Floyd J. Lippencott Jr. pay for the Pizza and the Beer, or did you guys go Dutch? Too bad fun things like the
"hood swap" just dont/cant happen anymore.
Bobby and his wife Sharon took care of everything. It was a special occasion, a welcome home for Bob's '66 Buick Riviera. He's had it in storage for 34 years. He met his wife when he was driving that car, they had their first date in that car. You can still see the stains in the back seat...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts