Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback from you guys using gas pot motorhomes pulling to the race track. In the market for a nice used motorhome for under 20k which pretty much rules out the diesel units. How well do the 460 and 454 30 foot plus rv's pull your trailer? My trailer weight is 7K stuffed to the rafters. Thanks for chiming in!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
1987 27' Fleetwood with a 460 4bbl. I pull a 24' enclosed with Mustang in sig, generator, and basic weekend dragstrip equipment. Pulls great, stops great, gas mileage NOT so great, but was the best thing I ever did !!!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have a 460 in my 33' fleetwood pulls fine with a 24' open trailer with a 02 vert gt and a golf cart. gets around 7mpg.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
93 24' Sterling motorhome with a 460 in it and it does fine pulling my 24' trailer that is probably 10,000lbs packed to the rafters. The fuel economy aint that great but it sure is cheaper than spending $60k on a diesel pickup or motorhome. All we did was put a heavy duty trans cooler on it and reinforce the rear frame to handle the tongue weight.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some good prices out there for the class a's. Wife and kids HATED the camper. Would rather sleep in the car trailer instead? Gets frackin hot at our track too so the a/c will be nice. To hell with gas prices for now, just a two hour haul to the track.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I tow with a 1992 32ft Fleetwood Bounder, 454 TBI and 4L80E trans. Pulling a 20ft open trailer, racecar, golfcart, etc. I dont push it (60-65). It gets the job done, just dont be in a hurry.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
One of the reasons I got the class C is I throw the boy up in the bunk, don't have to fold down the dinning table or futon, one less thing "To Do". Girl and I in the bedroom. I re-enforced the rear frame / hitch and just bought an Air bag system for the rear springs. I was going to add tougher springs but wanted a nice ride when I was not towing. $3900 for trailer toad, $450 for springs, $250 for air bags. The BEST thing about the 460..................I can work on it.....Jim

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've noticed some v-10 powered rigs in the price range. I'll have to look harder for the 500 cube chevies. Not too many chevs compared to ford chassis' out there? Maybe hot rod an older one like Jim :cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Got a 96 Dolphin, 34' with a 460. Pull a 24' open trailer probably about 5000lbs with car and junk in box. Once you get up to speed it runs fine. Gets about 5.5mpg running 70mph! Love it at the track, has plenty of storage in compartments for air comp, tools, etc. Now if you live in hilly country don't be in a hurry!!!

·
draggin' ass
13,418 Posts
Two response with a real number. How about the rest of you, like the OP asked. What MPG do you get? I have considered buying a rv too and want to know.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I've noticed some v-10 powered rigs in the price range. I'll have to look harder for the 500 cube chevies. Not too many chevs compared to ford chassis' out there? Maybe hot rod an older one like Jim :cool:
I tripped over mine, 1987, 35K miles, garage kept, replaced the carpeting with pergo wood floors, new fridge, 7 new tires. Paid $6200 last year in July. Best investment I ever made, got my $6200 back and then some. Insurance value is $9400. And if it ever needs a new motor, crate motor 460 baby....LOL. I think next year I might swap in an overdrive trans. Good luck searching !

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I have a buddy with a nice class a he is trying to sell. It has the frame reinforced and dual slide outs. He pulled a 28ft trailer with before he quit racing. Im pretty sure its in your price range. You can shoot me a pm and I will hook you up with his contact info if you want.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have a 1999, 25' class C with a v-10 and tow a 26' v-nose. Pulls great and always runs cool. Gets right at 8 mpg towing and not towing it gets between 10-12mpg.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a buddy with a nice class a he is trying to sell. It has the frame reinforced and dual slide outs. He pulled a 28ft trailer with before he quit racing. Im pretty sure its in your price range. You can shoot me a pm and I will hook you up with his contact info if you want.

My email.... [email protected]
I'm only 5 hours north of Spokane WA :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
tow with an 04 daybreak 30 ft trailer loaded mh has the 8.1 i get rite around 10 to 11 towing or not
but has tons of power compared to my old one with the 460 that got around 7 or 8

1 - 20 of 60 Posts