Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent yesterday with Steve from Crazy 4 Carz shooting a show/ tryin it out .......... its not a spectator sport but it doesn't matter if your a pro or a soccer mom ........ George Alderman ran this one

·
A1 Phuckstick
1,503 Posts
I'm a spectator mainly, but AutoX is fun in itself for sure. There's an F-body club that puts them on around here. One thing to try is go for a run with a good driver and see their braking points, one of our guys took nearly two seconds off his time doing that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I occasionally compete in autox, prefer open track days at roadcourses. Run shifter carts every now and again. Turning left and right kicks ass. Contemplating building a NASA American Iron car. What I like about drag racing is that you have seconds to be perfect or you're going home. What I like about road courses is if you aren't perfect there is time to make up for the mistake.

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
Im actually gonna go with my girlfriends son the first of next month. He wants to get into road racing, and this is a good place for him to learn.

·
Fords Only
4,041 Posts
I run open track at road courses every once in a while. I have a Mazda 3s that has some minor susp/brake work done to it as my DD. I will be out at Autobahn next month with some friends allthough im not running the Mazda. I use to road course my 99 several years ago before I took it off the street.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Done lots. Won a regional championship in ESP (E-street prepared) in SCCA Solo II. Been around a lot of folks who crossover from open track, club racing, auto-x, hillclimb, etc. I haven't done it competitively in several years, but plan to play again soon. Less damage and disposeables than running the road course though seat time and speeds are less. Therein, the risk is also less. It teaches you the proper ways (there's more than one) and techniques of getting a car around a corner. It made me a better and safer driver.

Two most important things I learned and still use every day....keep your head up, looking forward (the turn, event, obstance after the one you are about to negotiate) and using brakes less.

I think everyone who races (regardless of the discipline) should do it some until they have gained some skills and good habits.

Also, your car doesn't need to have special tires or mods to compete and do well. Only the top players and posers tweak shocks and stuff between runs. No need to change things unless you can say your driving didn't account for lost time on course.

One of the best ideas I heard was to use an old 64 Polara 4-dr, slant-six and put the #1 driver in each class in it for 2 passes and the lowest single-run time wins the overall event....

Lots of adrenaline.....finish a 90-second run and you're usually sweating at the end. There is no downtime on an autox course.

Dream autox car.......M3 or a modern version of the M3 lightweight. MMMmmmm. Nothing like watching a factory-tweaked car lift a front tire going around corners on DOT gumballs. Of course, there are folks who win in the anti-intuitive fashion such as Danny Popp of the Cincy region. The front tires of his vettes were never pointed in the right direction going into or out of each corner as he slung the rear around with his right foot.

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
doug... is there any good sites I can go read up on autox, so I know what hes getting into, and I know what the car needs to have done?

·
Outrunning the Big Blocks
3,270 Posts
Go to SCCA for info.
I have run Solo2(parking lot to runway)
Solo 1 (road course,airports time attack)
and SCCA Roadracing in GT3,A/S and Spec Miata.

Scored regional championships,won SE Div Solo 1
championship and have class podiums at various
tracks in the S.E.(Roebling,Daytona,Sebring).

It is a different mindset than drag racing but a few
drag racers have made decent roadracers(P Gentilozzi)sp?
for one.

I started in karts,went Solo 2,then 1 season of Solo1
and finally roadracing.

I am a firm believer that you should go and take your
kids if they are 15/16 and let them experience it(yes actually
participate)and let them find out you can get in over your
head at 15-20 mph.It will make them a better driver and maybe
they can save their tail if they get into a panic situation.

Most of the time you can show up,sign the waiver and beg rides
with people,most but not all are glad to give a ride along.

Tak your own helmet if you have one but lots of regions have
loaner helmets(I am not crazy about wearing someone elses lid).

The car needs to be basically safe,air up the tires to keep them from breaking the bead loose(the S/M can go over 1.25G on DOT tires)ALL THE LUG NUTS(this is a deal breaker if you are not careful),take all the crap out of the trunk and passenger compartment andmake sure the battery hold down is tight and up to the task.
Seat belts are a must and a lid is good.No worn ont suspension parts in the front end is good also.

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
racer.. thanks for the info, hes got a miata and wants to spec race it, but it needs some work. He told me about the racing they do at the Gulf dog track the first Sunday of the month, so I told him I`d go with him and help him. Would it be better to go watch the first time so he knows what to expect and getting into, or let him jump in?

·
Outrunning the Big Blocks
3,270 Posts
I would go for it,get there early and do the novice walkaround.
Ask if you can work the first session,tell them you two need to
stay together and you want to be put with an experienced
corner worker.When it is your time to run get at the
end of the longest line and go to the front and beg some
ridealongs,tell them you are a novice and most people will be
receptive.Then give it a go,you first need to find your way around
the course before you worry about going fast.As you become familiar
with the course the speed will come.If its done right the last run of the day
should be the quickest.It is all about seat time(sound familiar?),worry about
technique later,it will come..

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Autocrossed for about 5 years. Started in ESP and got bored getting beat by Marcus Meridith and Dave Feighner... so I built a CP car. Still got beat by the national champion every time out, but had much, much more fun!!

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
I went AutoCrossing for my Bachelor Party. All of my groomsmen and I drove the same, ahem, borrowed car. One would jump out, the next would jump in and take off. Man it was a BLAST! I run around with some SCCA racers now who race Vipers and Neons. Seems like most of that scene has a TON of money to blow on their racing endeavors.

·
"Nice Monte Carlo"
1,839 Posts
Good deal.. Hes dead set on racing his miata. Hes 17 and its his first car, but it has 150,000 miles on it and needs some work, so I will just help him and let him learn. Been thinkin about getting him into shifter karts as well for exactly that reason... seat time!

·
Platinum Member
10,170 Posts
autox is fun, i would do it again if i had a decent dd to take, now ive just got an f250 and a camaro with a glide and 5500 stall

·
Registered
64 Posts
i just went to south goergia motorssports park . last sunday to an scca autocross. they do it in the parking lot. since i am biulding a new promod car ,i have fun racing my corvette, got to race something.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did an open track day at the local road course for the first time a month or so ago. I had a blast. I'm planning to do it again. It was in a 97 Cobra that usually runs in E/SP. I ran only a few seconds slower than the car's owner. Think I did pretty good for my first time out turning left, right and using all the pedals...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I love autocross, but the classes themselves suck. I just want to go around some cones for a day. My DD doesn't fit H/Stock anymore and doesn't cross to any higher level class. Plus I not driving 3hrs for 3 min of "fun" over a day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
it is a blast. i would recomend to anyone wanting to race anything to have a dependable dd and get another car to race.
i agree about the scca classes. the local club switched to nasa rules and it has made it more fun for everyone and more competetive.
this is a friends car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_AS6kVUTK0 he bought another 300zx over the winter so that i can get a suspension straightened out. we will have one of them at winged warriors. the best part is getting 2 drivers in the same car and having first hand competition to see who is the better driver.

i also think that they minimum state requirment for a drivers liscense should include the doug herbert B.R.A.K.E.S. program and 3 autocross events.
look into what it takes to get a liscense in germany. then compare their accident rates.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,992 Posts
Done lots. Won a regional championship in ESP (E-street prepared) in SCCA Solo II. Been around a lot of folks who crossover from open track, club racing, auto-x, hillclimb, etc. I haven't done it competitively in several years, but plan to play again soon. Less damage and disposeables than running the road course though seat time and speeds are less. Therein, the risk is also less. It teaches you the proper ways (there's more than one) and techniques of getting a car around a corner. It made me a better and safer driver.

Two most important things I learned and still use every day....keep your head up, looking forward (the turn, event, obstance after the one you are about to negotiate) and using brakes less.

I think everyone who races (regardless of the discipline) should do it some until they have gained some skills and good habits.

Also, your car doesn't need to have special tires or mods to compete and do well. Only the top players and posers tweak shocks and stuff between runs. No need to change things unless you can say your driving didn't account for lost time on course.

One of the best ideas I heard was to use an old 64 Polara 4-dr, slant-six and put the #1 driver in each class in it for 2 passes and the lowest single-run time wins the overall event....

Lots of adrenaline.....finish a 90-second run and you're usually sweating at the end. There is no downtime on an autox course.

Dream autox car.......M3 or a modern version of the M3 lightweight. MMMmmmm. Nothing like watching a factory-tweaked car lift a front tire going around corners on DOT gumballs. Of course, there are folks who win in the anti-intuitive fashion such as Danny Popp of the Cincy region. The front tires of his vettes were never pointed in the right direction going into or out of each corner as he slung the rear around with his right foot.
You ever get a ride in the old 1972 LT1 Vette??????

Danny was drifting before drifting was cool.

<Cincy Region SCCA, haven't autox since 1999....

1998 Cincy Region DSP points champion
1998 CiSCC DSP points runner up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts