Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been interested in diving. I took my kids on a 2 hour demo in Brighton a few weeks ago through a place called Aquatic Adventures. Had a great time.

My question is this, has anyone here bought any gear second hand? I need to equip myself and my two sons. I'd like to get some tanks and a few regulators. Looking for advice.

·
Registered
923 Posts
My son and I have been diving for 7 years. It is really a great time, especially if you go to the Caribbean - we hit the BVI every other year. As to gear, the only way I would recommend buying anything used is if a certified shop checked it over and gave a green light. Diving has a big potential to be dangerous - when stuff goes wrong 80-90' down, it goes wrong fast. If I have a problem in the dragster, I stop and step out. Any issues on a dive, you need time to surface. The gear is expensive, no getting around it. Once you make the initial expenditure, annual checkups/rebuilds aren't that bad. You have to keep in mind, people really do die diving. On the bright side, kids can make great divers - my son certified when he was 10, and I feel very safe with him as my partner.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I for a long time, until I broke an ear-drum. Unless you were buying from a VERY good friend whom you trusted (and I would still have it checked) I would say your best option would be to purchase from your local dive shop. I know the one I used for years had a trade-in program, so they always had used stuff.

It's a great hobby, and great way to spend some time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My wife and I have been diving for the last 3 years. We early on decided to buy all our own gear instead of using rental stuff. For one not only does your life depend on your equipment working correctly. But having your own gear lets you become more familar with your setup hense more comfortable diving. We bought most of our gear from www.scuba.com also www.scubatoys.com is another good site. The ONLY way I would even thing about buying a used regulator is if I could pay for it after I had it checked out and serviced by my local shop. Definatly take a trip to the Caribbean if you can. We have been to Belize, Grand Cayman and next month we are going to Montserrat for a dive vacation.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
maybe you should buy 3 new sets and one used one for the wife and take her on a fun filled deeeeep dive, I cant imagine a more satisfying experience than showing your kids first hand how dangerious it realy can be when things go bad! :yawinkle: :smt102 :smt083

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy anything used, but I guss if you can find a local reputable dive shop that sells usd gear after they've checked it.....
Keep in mind, SCUBA gear, much like a car, needs check up and tune ups every so often. I send my first and secind stage, computer, and BCD back to the shop/manufacturor every year, even though i havnen.t been diving in forever. It's a free service here, and you wn't know if those people wo owned it all before you have kept that up. Nothing would be worse than being 80' down and having a reg gasket blow cause it hasn't been replaced in eight years.

Try lookning over winter, when the manufacturors put out new models, you can get last years stuff cheap. I got BC, first stage, 2nd stage, computer, suit, boots, fins and mask, all for $1400 and never before used.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
My son and I have been diving for 7 years. It is really a great time, especially if you go to the Caribbean - we hit the BVI every other year. As to gear, the only way I would recommend buying anything used is if a certified shop checked it over and gave a green light. Diving has a big potential to be dangerous - when stuff goes wrong 80-90' down, it goes wrong fast. If I have a problem in the dragster, I stop and step out. Any issues on a dive, you need time to surface. The gear is expensive, no getting around it. Once you make the initial expenditure, annual checkups/rebuilds aren't that bad. You have to keep in mind, people really do die diving. On the bright side, kids can make great divers - my son certified when he was 10, and I feel very safe with him as my partner.
You are welcome. I was the first person under 16 to recieve a NAUI certification. (as far as I know) Also qualified for ACUC and PADI at the same time, but they refused because of my age. My mom wanted me to take the course because I was diving with my dad already and she wanted me to be safier. My dive instructor was Gord Wardel and when I passed his course he got his back up about me not getting a license. Since he was a preimere instructor (taught SEALS at the time) they gave me a license when I was 12, one week before my 13 birthday.
Two weeks later I blew my sinuses in Tobermory. LOL Highly recommended dive spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts