Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On here? I work 13 hrs a night starting at 5pm, anyone else with me, and if so what's your biggest peeve about it?

-Mine would be people thinking I'm lazy because I don't wake up until 3 in the afternoon

·
The Cuban
2,806 Posts
I used to work 4 4pm to 3am shifts and I hated it, now I work 5 11pm-7am shifts I like it a lot better cause I still all day & evening to do stuff

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I work a modified swing shift 1200-2300ish. I hate it when people think im bright eyed and bushy tailed at 8 am and call me. I tried day shift 0400-1500 and I just couldn't get up that early, and grave shift sucks balls.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to work 4 4pm to 3am shifts and I hated it, now I work 5 11pm-7am shifts I like it a lot better cause I still all day & evening to do stuff
Ya that's a much better schedule. When you start in the afternoon it kind of wrecks your whole day.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I work a modified swing shift 1200-2300ish. I hate it when people think im bright eyed and bushy tailed at 8 am and call me. I tried day shift 0400-1500 and I just couldn't get up that early, and grave shift sucks balls.
Yep forgot about that. People calling me or stopping by in the mornings expecting something and wake me up. It's hard enough going to sleep when it's sunny! But there is a positive here in the desert it's much cooler working in the evenings.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm on 12 hour shifts. Work 5:30-5:30. I rotate though. Two weeks of night shift and two weeks of day shift. It's not bad. Don't get to see my five year old and put her to bed nights I work though. That kinda sucks.

The phone calls suck when I'm trying to sleep. I sleep with ear plugs. It helps some. Also hate when I know it's really nice out and trying to fall asleep.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I was until about 3 months ago, 6pm-6.30am then 10pm-6pm for the last 12 months. Hated trying to get some sleep when the family were having dinner, and trying to sleep in a D10n - fucking levers everywhere! It was like the marriot when I got my D11t.

Now I don't do Night or day shifts ;)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I used to unload a truck at night once a week. The worst part about it was thinking about the bed I should be laying in. I'm glad that I do not do that anymore.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's funny how no one that's done it understands. I rent an apartment in the desert in addition to my house since I work out there so much and got a complaint because I'd get home at 7 in the morning and taking a shower and watching a movie would wake up the neighbors (doubt it) yet when I call to complain about them waking me up at 4 in the afternoon the management company thinks I'm joking.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
It's funny how no one that's done it understands. I rent an apartment in the desert in addition to my house since I work out there so much and got a complaint because I'd get home at 7 in the morning and taking a shower and watching a movie would wake up the neighbors (doubt it) yet when I call to complain about them waking me up at 4 in the afternoon the management company thinks I'm joking.
Ear plugs are your friend, trust me.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Worst for me is when the inlaws are down. They just don't know how to be quiet. Even with my ear plugs in I hear them and sleep like crap.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
All my working career i've worked nights. 20 + years on tugboats. Still hang around with the people i grew up with. Those assholes love to call and text me before noon. I work from 1600 to 0400 and i still get " i don't know when you work"! :-damnit

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
I use the soft foam ear plugs and bought a night mask/sleeping mask...laugh all yawant...it keeps myeyes bllacked out even with windows open for fresh air and curtains blowing. Plus wife does in home daycare so got kids hollering most the day directly below me.

Been on nights for three yrs and hate it, but only first shift jobs i could win a bid on would be a $5/hr pay cut...and i dont hate it thT mu h yet lol.

Family wise it works goodd since i can do school drop off and pick up, doc appts, still attend kids sporting stuff...everything id miss if i was on second shift.i actually prefer during the colder time of yr to work 7 days a week to stay on a routine...working 5 days screws up my sleep badly.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I've contemplated this, do you still hear your alarm good?
Yes. But I have half a dozen alarms set, and I am a heavy sleeper. If you can get up at the same time every day with out a alarm that will help you wearing plugs. The key I learned, is to find the most comfortable set of disposable plugs, and use a new set every night (I wear plugs all day at work and I found the softer ones that block less noise are more comfortable to wear while you sleep), its all trial and error. I also have my phone play rain sounds all night and that helps me.

·
Maderator
16,247 Posts
I've worked swing shift for the better part of 12 years.... Except for one stint if straight midnights for a year...... Now I swing days and afternoons and I hate afternoons (3p-11p)

·
Registered
586 Posts
I rotate all 3 shifts on the "mad" system. Midnights, afternoons,days- 2 weeks each. I like midnights because there is alot less brass around- but my neighbors think im an alcoholic when they see me drinking beer at 8am ! I also get the least amount of sleep on days..

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
I either work 7p-7a -11p-7a- or 11p-11a. Any way I do it I sleep most of the day and people think I'm lazy and I lounge around all day. I do t think some people can process that I'm up all night working while they sleep.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
11pm till 7am here. Been doing it for 3 years now and still hate it.

I had a new neighbor stop in to introduce himself at 9am because he seen me working in my garage. I got a funny look when I grabbed my beer and took a drink of it lol.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts