Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and whats it like. I would like to have one of the 99-03 f-350 crew cabs with the 7.3. I have drove crew cab 3/4 tons and 1 tons but never a dually pickup. I figure it will take a little getting used to but nothing bad. Whats your opinion on this

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
If ya can drive you can drive anything...right? I have a 96 GMC SLE3500. Dont drive it everyday for the obvious reason. 11 MPG of gas dont cut it.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I have a 2002 GMC crew cab Dually......nothing major in driving it except to remember to swing out a little when making a right turn to keep from curbing the outer wheel.......not that I have done that or anything......

·
Registered
758 Posts
Only get the dually if you need it. The regular rear wheel trucks will haul and pull a lot without issue. Much better to drive when not pulling. The dually is great when pulling, but sucks to drive empty. It sucks to park them and the outer tires catch the edge of the road and grooves and pull you all over the place. It really depends on what you're pulling with it. I went for overkill and now regret it. Don't get me wrong sometimes there's a need for one, just make sure you do before choosing one.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only things tht had me worried is the fenders. anybody know what kind of mileage the 7.3 psd duallys get

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have always had a dually as a daily driver,so I guess I am used to it. The one I have now is a crew cab and I don't really notice any difference in driving it or my wifes crew cab Dakota. I would say that after the first month you will be used to it and it won't feel any different to you than a regular pickup.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Hmmm....I love driving my dually and if I didn't commute 30 miles one way, would drive it every day. You aren't going to get a smooth ride by any means, but if you aren't towing, let a little air out of the tires for a nicer ride. Someone also makes special weight bags designed for the bed to keep it from bouncing too much. Also, expect tire feathering from the front tires. We usually replace the front tires instead of rotating them because we have Alcoas and its a pain in the ass to dismount etc.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have gotten used to driving a 40 year old pickup that rides like a log wagon so anything else rides good. The ones I have rode in actually rode very well to me

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
If you are after mileage, step into an 03-05 Ram with the 24 valve 5.9 Cummins. I just picked up an 04.5 3500 Dually and it gets 18.5 MPG unloaded at 75 on the highway, 16-17 in town and 11 pulling a heavy enclosed trailer. That is completely stock too, supposedly a few modifications will help out the mileage even more. Oh, it is my daily driver and I dont mind the extra width of the dually, people will move out of your way :)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have 99 f350 supercrew long bed 2wd 7.3 with 332,000 miles and never done anything other than water pump and a set of injectors after the 250,000 mile mark. It has gotten to be hard to start in cool wether but still strong and runs good you just need it to warm up a little. I drive it everyday and love it but I live in rule TN . If you get one the first mods i would do is the wicked wheel in the charger and a banks 6 gun(with pryo) and the dynoflow exhaust. Ispro gauges match the factory dash . One yhing i did to mine a year aro so ago was freshen the trans and put a BTS valvebody in it makes it shift lots more firm but not harsh.

·
Registered
929 Posts
after driving our 40' motor home a dually was easy as hell.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I drive a 97 dodge 3500 4x4 everywhere. not scared to take antwhere you would go with a small car you just have to pay attention. and by the most drive thrus aren't dually friendly. I've seen people driving 1/2ton trucks needing more room then I do to get around I guess they are just Sceeeeeered

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 99 F350 crew cab dually diesel as my daily driver, no problems driving, parking or anything. I park better in a mall spot than 75% of the shitbox drivers. Plus you get the extra respect from other cars... LOL. city/hwy combined through out the week avg about 14.5 mpg, empty hwy 16.5, towing 40' with combined weight of 20K 11 mpg. I have the 50HP Hypertech programmer and love it. Been driving the dually daily for 10 years and HATE driving a regular car now. Go for it!

I have also taught both my kids to drive it while they had their learners permit, they are better drivers because of it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
First time I ever drove one was at LVMS towing my buddys car to the line. I was pulling through the gate just entering the track area behind the burnout box and almost ripped the rear fender off the truck. Just be aware of the extra width back there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First time I ever drove one was at LVMS towing my buddys car to the line. I was pulling through the gate just entering the track area behind the burnout box and almost ripped the rear fender off the truck. Just be aware of the extra width back there.
Tip on that, if the mirrors clear the fenders clear.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Powerstroke. As far as the fenders go must agree with most after a week or two you wont even notice them anymore. If you plan on doing moods you should definately start with the normal stuff. Intake, 4" exhaust, gauges, idm, valve body and a 6 position chip (Tony Wildman, Power Hungry Performance and Beans). I get about 18mgh driving around town and 12 when pulling my 28' enclose at 75mph. Wouldnt trade my truck for any gas saving honda thats for sure.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I drive my 1992 Ford 7.3 Crew cab on the weekends.
In that photo I had just pulled out of my garage after painting it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts