Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the negotiations for a management position with a woodturning tool manufacturer in Kentucky and I was interesred to how common woodturning was. Thanks

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,106 Posts
I TRY AND TURN MY WOOD ATLEAST THREE TIMES A WEEK.....DOC SAYS IT'S HEALTHY TO UNLOAD ALL THE BUILT UP PRESSURE!:p

·
Moderater
13,053 Posts
Cuts easyer than metal and the chips don't burn.....

Those up the nose ones always made me cry......:rolleyes:

·
Moderater
13,053 Posts

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured the word Wood was gonna draw a crowd! LOL! The company makes carbide tipped tooling. Its HARDER than normal!! LMAO!!

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
I am in the negotiations for a management position with a woodturning tool manufacturer in Kentucky and I was interesred to how common woodturning was. Thanks
Hand tools are mostly for hobbyist. Most production wood turning shops use CNC's or tracers to produce their product. For hand tools? if the tooling is good quality and reasonably priced it should be a successful business.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hand tools are mostly for hobbyist. Most production wood turning shops use CNC's or tracers to produce their product. For hand tools? if the tooling is good quality and reasonably priced it should be a successful business.
His business has tripled in the last 6 months and has currently orders for 17000 units, thus the need for my help. I am driving up monday to discuss terms of employment and demonstrate some of my programming and machining abilities.
His long term goal is to supply Lowes and Home Depot with complete Woodturning Packages including a small lathe, turning tools, safety equipment and instructional videos. It could turn into a very profitable situation for everyone working there.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
As a kid I turned a couple bowls out of Cherry and some hybrid laminates. All manual stuff on a belt driven lathe, nothing fancy. Incidently, the bowls were for holding....nuts.
That help? :p

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Most Furniture manufacturer's around the NC area use master carver's to carve 25 to 30 legs at once via a single template. I own a cabinet company and we turn all of our own stuff in house with a Powermatic 3520B, we cut our own plexiglass template's of various designs and lengths and use a Vega Lathe Duplicator to repeat the pattern as many times as necessary. Hardwoods like Oak and Hickory can render a cutter in need of a sharpening in as few as 5 or 6 turnings depending on how hard or knotty it is. I can glue up my own blanks and manufacture my own turnings for a 25% savings over purchasing them which equates to allot of money in my pocket over a years time so there is definitely some marketability there for you. I wish you well in your endeavor.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some photos from the website of customers work. They are Artists and the work is amazing to me.
BTW the 3rd photos are from 1 peice of wood!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts