Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to forum... read my ass off before finally banging my head against the wall and having to sign up to see if maybe someone knows if what I want to do is possible.

So, I'm wiring up a stroked and carbed 351W, off-road truck, sick of harnesses so got turned on to distributed multiplex systems like ISIS, but realized quickly they're not user customizable programming-wise, and you end up having to pay for anything truly custom. This led me to find Motec, which was too $$$ for me, and then finally Racepack's Speedwire, which looked like a good solution. Ok so far.

So, on my last build I had a cheapo narrow-band O2 bung hooked up to a cheap summit gauge, close to useless, but inspired me to want to actually try and do it for real this time and started looking at some good wide-band controllers for all sorts of things including AFR which led me back to Racepack, and whaddya know, they have all of them and they can feed into the Smartwire and be custom programmed to trigger ouputs from a laptop with their software. Sweet.

At this point, I realized I needed to visualize things and started looking at gauges but quickly realized if I wanted to do the above (all Racepak), I was stuck with their digital dashes. In fact, from eveything I'm seeing, once you go Racepak for the sensors, you're pretty much stuck in V-Net land with their dashes/gauges and software, and there's no obvious export out of their system. The shitty thing is, it looks like all the other vendors are doing the same thing: proprietary canbus formats with no external OBDII outputs. Laaaaammmme.

What I'd LIKE to do, is be able to do my own custom digital dash using Torque (or a variant) on a tablet and run my own software. Any ideas on how that might be possible? Aftermarket ECU maybe...? for a carb? WALLLL. :confused:

thanks

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'll try to answer all your questions cruzin:

1. You can run Autometer (or whatever) gauges with the Racepak loggers. You might duplicate a few sensors but this is a popular option

2. Racepak offers round classic gauges. http://racepak.com/Components/Gauges.php

3. Using the Racepak OBD2 (if you ECU is 2008 or newer) combined with a IQ3 logger dash and Smartwire is a popular combo for off road. You get logging, display, g-meters, GPS, your OBD2 stuff, any Racepak engine or chassis sensors and the Smartwire with is ability to switch to backup pumps & fans on the fly.

Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Greg, thanks for the reply.

I did take a look at Racepak's gauges, but it's not what I'm looking for and I think it's a little silly to have to duplicate sensor's to run Autolite's. What I'm looking for is to replicate something more similar to the Haltech/Racepak digital dash (IQ3), however having it be MUCH more versatile. As it is, it's very text only with some eh led's, and while lots of features/pages, for the same amount of money a very nice tablet could be mounted with some trick/customized digital gauges and double as a data logger and complete system management tool.

This is what I'm talking about: http://tinyurl.com/Torque-Gauge-Clusters, http://torque-bhp.com/

Basically, the gauge aspect via Torque is a fully customizable digital gauge cluster for android tablets/phones that will read whatever is coming off an OBDII feed. You can set it up however you want, multiple pages, gauge qty, colors, styles, data logging, graphs, etc.

As far as your last point, I'm not sure I was clear enough. I don't have an OBDII input I'm looking to bring into Racepak. From where I sit, Racepak has the goods already hardware-wise with their sensors, loggers and Smartwire. What I'm trying to do is access that data without being forced to use the Racepak dashes/software to interact with its hardware. My assessment of Racepak (and this pretty much applies to ALL aftermarket data-logging/sensor management tools after reviewing the market), is these guys are all GREAT hardware developers constantly pushing the envelope, but who are about a decade or so behind in the software department but force a lock-in of their customers there. These types of closed systems that don't get much development on one end will only slow growth/innovation in the industry and takes attention off where the development energy is in the first-place (hardware). First guy that ports his CAN protocol to an OBDII output will bank and will attract a lot of 3rd party developmet, community, and progress.

So, my hack/workaround at the moment, is I think to try and find an ECU that Racepak or some other vendor supports that has an OBDII out which I can use to read the sensors and send out to my own system management, and use Racepak/whoever on the inside for control. Not much luck in finding any though, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be all ears...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts