Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been tuning my and other N/A A9L and A9P's for a few years. I just threw a 10psi Turbo on my 306 and want a few pointers. I loaded my new MAF transfer function and changed the injector high/low slopes. Had a real assy surge at idle and the wideband was in the 10.5-11.0 range, so I leaned out the MAF curve at the low end and got a decent idle, but when I drop it in gear it dies. The idle rpm in the scaler table is 950....If I bring r's up and drop it in gear I can slowly back down to idle and it will stay running. My converter guy kinda missed it and it's pretty tight, but not so tight that it should do this with the mild shaft I have.....this is a street deal, pretty mild.

If anybody out there has done any turbo tuning on the fox body mustangs with the tweecer tuner hit a few high spots for me to address to get a decent base tune going...

Thanks

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
i have used the tweecer in the past and works very well if you got the time. i'll have to dig back into my old files and see if i can remember some of the things to change to help you out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ok, maybe I came off as not being helpful in my first post. Let me try this: What Brand/Size meter and size injectors are you running? If they are similar to mine I could email you my tune to start with as a base tune.

Truth is I've been tuning my turbo car with the tweecer for about 2yrs but I don't feel confident enough in my skills with it to really give too much advise, which is why I recommended eectuning.org (a forum dedicated to tweecer tuning). However, the tune I have has proven to be a pretty safe (if not completely optimal) tune.

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30# injectors. Changed the slopes in the scaler table
Pro M for the 30's.....done the transfer function to match the flow sheet already, that helped a lot.
F-303 shaft
Trick flow twisted wedge, not R's
Track heat upper & lower
67mm intercooled
Using the FMU for enrichment for now, as I had no larger injector on hand

Will post in the turbo section as well.....

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
Is that a Pro-M bullet MAF ? If so we will take this to PM.

Pro M for the 30's.....done the transfer function to match the flow sheet already, that helped a lot.
F-303 shaft
Track heat upper & lower
67mm intercooled

·
Registered
140 Posts
F-303 shaft
Track heat upper & lower
67mm intercooled

You need to get rid of the fmu. If you're running a stock block combo just get some 42's as they will support more power than the block will. Running those 30's at 10lbs of boost, even with the fmu, I hope you enjoy replacing headgaskets.

Is this a blow-through or draw-through setup? If its blow-through the meter will need to be cal'd for blow-through.

My combo consists of a stock bottom end 302, Ported DO0E heads, a custom cam, and a ported Typhoon intake.
I run a 3.5" Pro Mass Air Protube meter cal'd for blow through and 42lbs injectors with a walboro 255lph pump. I have been 127mph in a 3400 pound car in the 1/4 with this setup. If you want I can send you the tune and you can tweak the Mass air transfer function and injector slopes to match yours, the rest should be well suited to your combo.

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to get rid of the fmu. If you're running a stock block combo just get some 42's as they will support more power than the block will. Running those 30's at 10lbs of boost, even with the fmu, I hope you enjoy replacing headgaskets.

Is this a blow-through or draw-through setup? If its blow-through the meter will need to be cal'd for blow-through.

My combo consists of a stock bottom end 302, Ported DO0E heads, a custom cam, and a ported Typhoon intake.
I run a 3.5" Pro Mass Air Protube meter cal'd for blow through and 42lbs injectors with a walboro 255lph pump. I have been 127mph in a 3400 pound car in the 1/4 with this setup. If you want I can send you the tune and you can tweak the Mass air transfer function and injector slopes to match yours, the rest should be well suited to your combo.
Yea, I ain't really happy with the FMU either....but it's what I had to make this weekend. I will be ditching the FMU soon. It is not blow through.

If you want to send the tune my e-mail address is:
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
have been using one for a long time, not great but i get it done. Latest ride was my brothers 93 coupe

RPM Intake
Janky iron heads
TFS1 cam
Stock 93 Hyperutectic shortblock
PTK Single with 76mm GTS Precision turbo
60lb fuel injectors
MAFia
255HP intank pump

AOD !!!!

9.91 @ 140.....

I'd say the tweecer works pretty well ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
have been using one for a long time, not great but i get it done. Latest ride was my brothers 93 coupe

RPM Intake
Janky iron heads
TFS1 cam
Stock 93 Hyperutectic shortblock
PTK Single with 76mm GTS Precision turbo
60lb fuel injectors
MAFia
255HP intank pump

AOD !!!!

9.91 @ 140.....

I'd say the tweecer works pretty well ;)

Thats gettin' it done with a stock shortblock! How much boost was he running and how much did the car weight? I'm currently putting my turbo combo into my 85' coupe, that I hope to get under 3k lbs with me in it. My heavy ass GT never would et worth a damn (11.27 was the best pass) but it mph'ed fair at 127. Even in the lighter car I dont think I will ever see 140 or single digits on the stock short block though!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thats gettin' it done with a stock shortblock! How much boost was he running and how much did the car weight? I'm currently putting my turbo combo into my 85' coupe, that I hope to get under 3k lbs with me in it. My heavy ass GT never would et worth a damn (11.27 was the best pass) but it mph'ed fair at 127. Even in the lighter car I dont think I will ever see 140 or single digits on the stock short block though!
14-15psi, the BOV was bypassing and the needle would flutter down the track so we couldnt get any more from it (Greddy type S bov.) Car was 3320 with him in the car, and the nitrous bottle in back. We used a 50 shot to get the car to 60ft since we didnt have a t-brake to use. Then let out of it and let the turbo do its thing. Poor mans tranny brake ;)

On 91 octane the car ran 10.95 @ 127 with a 1.7 60, just as he drove the car every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cKvkCX7ciA

I can help point you towards some tips on what to do with the tune timing wise, as his car seemed to respond to them very well.... maybe yours will as well ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can help point you towards some tips on what to do with the tune timing wise, as his car seemed to respond to them very well.... maybe yours will as well ;)
Please do. I've always struggled with tuning the timing, ended up just pulling it all out at WOT. I think this is the reason the car would never 60ft or short track very well. I never removed the nitrous kit from my car and was going to try to spray it to get it to short track better also but kept having other issues that prevented me from getting to try it. The tweecer died mid pass last october killing the A9L and blowing both headgaskets on the first pass with the c4 (I had ran a 5spd up until that point and finally put a c4 with brake in it to try to get it out of the hole better) Never got to even try the transbrake with the turbo :) This car is a full weight car with all accessories and A/C. I ended up putting a 331 back in it and am now in the process of putting the turbo setup in my coupe, which is a fairly gutted lightweight, hoping to go 10s on the stock shortblock while not having to lean on it near as hard as I had to in the full weight GT (I ran up to 17lbs of boost in the GT, hoping to run less than 15 in the coupe).

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Check with Ben Fraiser, He is on here, and his website is www.v8mustang.com
whats up joe.... long time no see man, when you and ben coming back up to tulsa, we need to go back out for a few drinks again ;)

Ben is a great guy to deal with on the tweecer, without him i dont know where I would be. He certainly knows his stuff and he has helped me tons and there just isnt enough I can say about the man...... Most definitally someone who makes drag racing a great sport.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.