Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, can you please post your setup, times, and your launch procedures....

thanks!

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
302. 76mm. 2step. t56. launch 5500.
sorry, could you guys also include what gear ratio you have in the rear axle? thanks!

Also, how much boost, power estimate, what clutch, etc....just shit that will help me get an idea

Im running a low 12 second 4 speed car N/A right now and Im seriously considering turbo charging it...just wondering how much will have to change and see what others are doing

·
Registered
227 Posts
Any differences in launching between auto & stick? Seems like I heard the auto loads the converter harder?

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
its harder to be consistant with a 5 speed...and harder to launch
"harder to be consistent"! "Come to a Pro/Stick race and I'll show you 40+ cars that are more consistent than most any slushbox car"! No matter what kind of set up you have if you want to be competitive you need to invest in quality parts. With a stick car once you start applying a decent amount of power to the ground you will find your weakest links quick. We have a guy that races with us in a Ford probe with a turbo 4cyl. 5 speed that goes high 7's in the quarter. His set up isn't gonna help on a 12second car though. Plus his car is a tube chassis. Check out www.prostickracing.com and www.umtrnorth.com cool cars and good info from diehard stick shift racers that are always willing to offer advice.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"harder to be consistent"! "Come to a Pro/Stick race and I'll show you 40+ cars that are more consistent than most any slushbox car"! No matter what kind of set up you have if you want to be competitive you need to invest in quality parts. With a stick car once you start applying a decent amount of power to the ground you will find your weakest links quick. We have a guy that races with us in a Ford probe with a turbo 4cyl. 5 speed that goes high 7's in the quarter. His set up isn't gonna help on a 12second car though. Plus his car is a tube chassis. Check out www.prostickracing.com and www.umtrnorth.com cool cars and good info from diehard stick shift racers that are always willing to offer advice.
I know who's car you are talking about, im over on the umtr....I just thought since that site seems to be acting funky lately it might be better to post this here and hopefully get more views....obviously what applies for a 7 second car is different compared to a 12 second car, but im just trying to see how many guys are doing it, and the different ways they are doing it

I learned the hard way last year about breaking stuff with a stick, so i have the drivetrain setup for a beating right now

·
Registered
601 Posts
Fred House is his name. I'm not sure what his starting line routine is, but I think that he pre stages then brings the boost up and I'm guessing that he may have a brake pressure gauge that he pre sets when he pre stages and then bumps it into stage and onto a 2-step. What clutch are you running now? What kind of power are you planning on making with the turbo?

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fred House is his name. I'm not sure what his starting line routine is, but I think that he pre stages then brings the boost up and I'm guessing that he may have a brake pressure gauge that he pre sets when he pre stages and then bumps it into stage and onto a 2-step. What clutch are you running now? What kind of power are you planning on making with the turbo?
Im currently running a centerforce dual friction, although a slipper like a soft lok would be ideal, especially with the added power...

Right now ive calculated about 320 tops to the wheels, so im hoping with a turbo that I can atleast click off 400 to the wheels, maybe more?

·
Registered
725 Posts
dump that centerforce...

I wiped the face off of mine at 450 wheel sidestepping at 6500 RPM in my camaro. Call McLeod and tell them your setup and theyll hook you up right

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yeah that centerforce isn't going to work once you start putting some power down. A good adjustable pressure plate and at least a single sintered iron disc is the way to go. Do you plan on driving the car on the street? If so it may be a little harder to balance between consistency and drivability! Sounds like a cool ride either way.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The turbo probe you mentioned is Fred House and sadly that car got wrecked last year. I dont think he quite made it into the 7s but ran 8.01 for best. Regardless, Fred's success with his pinto is the reason I spent every penny I could get to swap from a T5 to a Doug Nash 4+1.

I probably dont exactly count for turbo/stick since mines a 4 cyl. I'm hoping to sneak into the 9's by the end of this year with an iron headed 2.3 though. If not, I hope to be ready to rock for either umtr or prostick points next year.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the centerforce will be staying in until I have problems with it....I hear of more good luck than bad luck with them, so ill take my chances...this is a street car first and foremost...gets driven to the track the two hours there and back on 87 octane pump shit lol....As much as I would love a soft lok, with all the street driving i do, unless i absolutely needed it, i would avoid it if i could

culpepper, of course your car counts...setup man, what is it? Ive seen vids on the UMTR of it, runs awesome!

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
Any differences in launching between auto & stick? Seems like I heard the auto loads the converter harder?
Bach in the day, Buddy ingersoll changed from an auto to stick in his prostock turbo buick, everyone told him it wouldn't work, he was banned from the class for kicking their asses.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts