Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to confirm the date of a picture. There is a person wearing a Mark Martin Eagle one shirt in a picture. The other person in the same picture has been missing since late 1996. Anyone know for sure if Mark Martin was sponsored by Eagle one Prior to 1998?

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Maybe in his ASA days, or even early Busch days. I don't ever remember a Cup car with Eagle One.
I believe there was a black Eagle One #6 car for a few Cup races, part of them trying to promote/jumpstart the brand after Valvoline bought it. Otherwise, Eagle One was an associate sponsor rather than a primary.

To the OP- I'd have to look but as I recall the above car would have been a very late '90s, like '98-'99, or actually into the 2000s. Does the shirt ONLY have Eagle One on it? Most anything MM wore at the time would have had Valvoline as the most prominent sponsor. Also, does it have a car number?

There "may" have been a Busch Series Eagle One car as well. I don't recall one in that time period. Mark was with Winn-Dixie at that time for his Busch sponsorship.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
In 98-99, with Roush, Valvoline was his sponsor. Eagle One was owned by Valvoline. He ran the 6 car in the Winston all star race with Eagle One on the car.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am going to try to get a copy of both pictures he has and post them. He just showed them to me tonight and they are personal to him. The only thing I noticed was white shirt with red and blue. You could make out Mark Martin and I could see the eagle one logo on it.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That's the car he ran in The Winston All Star Race in 98 or 99. He didn't have shit for sponsors in his ASA days. Scraped up much of the money on his own. He was something to watch in those days. Rookie of the Year, then 3 straight championships.

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
back when watching NASCAR was fun
X2^^^^^^. NASCAR sucks. I used to go to a lot of NASCAR races and had good times but since Dale got killed it SUCKS! Too many "no names" and BS rules. Bring back the "Good Ole Boys" and get rid of the restrictor plates.
Ticket sales don't lie..... Wake the Fuck up NASCAR or we will see your death in less than 5 years.
BTW: Darrel Walltrip looking like a talking corpse now a days........ He has to go!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
In the heyday of Wisconsin circle track racing of the 70's and early 80's you had racing to watch. The dirt track open wheelers, ASA boys, and at that time USAC had both stock car and Indy car racing. It seems to me, during Milwaukee Fair week, we went to the stock car race the first weekend and the Indy cars the next weekend.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In the heyday of Wisconsin circle track racing of the 70's and early 80's you had racing to watch. The dirt track open wheelers, ASA boys, and at that time USAC had both stock car and Indy car racing. It seems to me, during Milwaukee Fair week, we went to the stock car race the first weekend and the Indy cars the next weekend.
A little before my time but my dad use to tell me that if you wanted to learn how to race you come to Wisconsin. Thats why guys like Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace and others from that era come to the little local tracks.

·
The Cuban
2,806 Posts
So there's a picture of this person 2 years after they went missing?

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
That's the car he ran in The Winston All Star Race in 98 or 99. He didn't have shit for sponsors in his ASA days. Scraped up much of the money on his own. He was something to watch in those days. Rookie of the Year, then 3 straight championships.
That is mostly true, but keep in mind that his father owned a successful trucking firm (J-Mar) and was able to help some. It's generally forgotten but in his very early, young days, he got a fair amount of grief for being "entitled" and "a 16 year old kid buying his way in". By the time he was done with ASA, his record answered any questions about ability vs. money.

It's really sad (to me anyway) that his Cup career never included a championship...so close, so many times. He dominated ASA, Busch Series, and even IROC.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts