Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
T/S 368E
27,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I have an old runned down horse farm/ranch and I started cleaning the place up.
There's about a dozen dead trees, and while trimming I saw tracks under the bark.

The evergreens next to them are full of dead limbs down low, but mostly still have normal green leaves above the dead limbs.

Do I need to just clear cut the entire place. ~1 acre of tree's, 4 acres of grazing & 10 acres farm land.

The evergreens line the driveway & house, the normal trees are spread all around, mostly on the south & west.

·
A Fine Example For Others
38,547 Posts
Just cut the dead branches off that have the dead leaves. The best way to get a tree to crown properly is to cut the lower branches off. If you want to keep the trees healthy, pound some spike fertilizer sticks a few feet away from the base of the tree. You can get them at most hardware stores, Lowes or Home Depot.

Also you should deep water the trees at least 4 times a year, or more, depending on the heat condtions.

·
rodent aviator
6,587 Posts
Just cut the dead branches off that have the dead leaves. The best way to get a tree to crown properly is to cut the lower branches off. If you want to keep the trees healthy, pound some spike fertilizer sticks a few feet away from the base of the tree. You can get them at most hardware stores, Lowes or Home Depot.

Also you should deep water the trees at least 4 times a year, or more, depending on the heat condtions.
I disagree with this thought although it's common, unless the limbs are dead. You can't make a tree healthier by cutting off healthy limbs. You can remove the unhealthy or dead limbs to improve appearance but cutting off a bunch of healthy limbs will do more harm than good.

Many evergreen type trees will shade out the lower limbs, which then die as they are replaced with new growth up in the crown. I know on our pines here, cutting green limbs means you just created a sap faucet which will drip until the day the tree dies. Most people who have pine trees near their house trimmed will end up getting them cut down because of the sap. Just stick to cutting off the dead limbs as the tree has already cut off the sap to those limbs.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
if you do cut a live limb or branch by accident you can use pruning spray to stop the sap from leaking and killing the tree early but it is not the best Idea to cut live limbs.

·
T/S 368E
27,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The trees are 100% dead, the evergreens are still alive with the bottom limbs being dead.
I'm only trimming the dead trees for now until the ground gets hard enough to get my big trucks in and take them all down completely.

I want to know if the trees have bug trails, does that mean I should cut down the evergreens also??

·
T/S 368E
27,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm no expert, but they look pretty dead, or about to be, they look nasty!!!
Plus all the trails.

·
Registered
11,342 Posts
the hardwoods might be ash, with the emerald ash bore, the evergreens have a different disease, most likely. Just cut down the dead stuff for now. Give a close up of the little tracks on the hardwoods, but guessing its ash with the bore.

·
T/S 368E
27,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks, I'll get better shots next visit, wasn't planning to post, but google didn't really help much.

·
rodent aviator
6,587 Posts
Dead hardwood trees have nothing to do with the live evergreen trees. That's like saying your wife has cancer so euthanize the guy who lives across the street. (Probably a bad analogy)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Dead hardwood trees have nothing to do with the live evergreen trees. That's like saying your wife has cancer so euthanize the guy who lives across the street. (Probably a bad analogy)
Nah, I like it. It's pretty accurate. Ok, say you have a fish tank & fish are dying, do you toss out the parakeet, too?
Any ways, listen to Skwerl, he umm, knows trees.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Those look like ash, cut em all down to nothing and burn the wood. If you break off a piece of bark, and look at the side profile, it should be tan if its ash. Red and white alternating is American Elm which can be hard to tell apart, but that's not elm I can 95% guarantee by the opposite branching.

The evergreens are an unrelated disease. Lower limbs on pine can die if trees are planted too close and they mature but this does not look like the case. Get an arborist.

·
Registered
182 Posts

The trees are 100% dead, the evergreens are still alive with the bottom limbs being dead.
I'm only trimming the dead trees for now until the ground gets hard enough to get my big trucks in and take them all down completely.

I want to know if the trees have bug trails, does that mean I should cut down the evergreens also??

View attachment 73412
That looks like an ash to me. I live in the midwest too, the ash borer has pretty much killed every ash tree in the area. It won't affect your other trees, thank God.

·
Former RJ instigator
39,926 Posts
Some guys fish has the flu, so they sent the parakeet to kill the bitchy neighbor across the street. The question was if it was ok for the parakeet to rest on the branches of the dead trees after he’s done, or should lay low in the living ones.
:ROFLMAO:

·
T/S 368E
27,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah, I like it. It's pretty accurate. Ok, say you have a fish tank & fish are dying, do you toss out the parakeet, too?
Any ways, listen to Skwerl, he umm, knows trees.

That's why you ask someone that knows.
Trees are trees, fish & parakeets don't live in the same tank, the trees are all in the same ground next to each other.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge Guys!!!

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
5,986 Posts
If the tree has bugs under the bark they usually kill the tree. I've found a few of my trees with like a million bugs running around the trunk, I spray Bifen 360* around the trunk and has far up as I can spray it, the next day every bug will be gone. Bifen is the best stuff to kill bugs.

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
Some guys fish has the flu, so they sent the parakeet to kill the bitchy neighbor across the street. The question was if it was ok for the parakeet to rest on the branches of the dead trees after he’s done, or should lay low in the living ones.
Oddly this makes more sense than the OP lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts