Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 four runner with 95k on the clock. Just trying to keep up with maintenance, I had the trans filter and fluid changed. Now I have a shutter( like its slipping) between 30-50 mph at low rpm in OD. If I put it in drive to 50mph, there is no problem. It only occurres in OD. Can anyone who knows these cars help with advice? Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did they us the right fluid. I think that year uses WS fluid and there is no dip stick to check level. Usually dont mess with the fluid if it's WS fluid and never have a problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did they us the right fluid. I think that year uses WS fluid and there is no dip stick to check level. Usually dont mess with the fluid if it's WS fluid and never have a problem.
Agreed, the WS units are way more sensitive than the T-IV units

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
As said before, proper fluid is the key.
Also Sonnax makes several replacement parts for the valve body to address a shudder condition. You may have other problems.
I would flush the transmission and use the proper ATF from Toyota

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I guess I messed up by having unnessery service done. The car is at Toyota now and they don't know what is going on. I guess the hunt begins for a new trans. FUCk!!!!!

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Don't look for a new transmission just yet.

Do a search for VBX reman valve bodies. Purchase one for your truck and install it. Use Toyota fluid.
VBX uses all Sonnax parts and new castings if needed. An excellent product with unbeatable customer service.
I would replace the valve body first. The rest of the transmission is probably in good shape. Most of the ones that I have rebuilt looked good internally but had very worn valve bodies.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to the top! Do ya think it could be the TCC selinoid because of when it shutters it only happens when it's in OD and its perfect in Drive? It does not shutter in drive at all. It's like the Tourque converter is trying to lock up before it gets into high gear. There is no slip at all, just the shutter.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Any codes? Was the proper fluid used? If not, who put the wrong fluid in? Maybe it's a misfire instead??

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Vehicle must have WS fluid in it,,, if it has other fluid you will need to flush it out either with a machine or change fluid 3-4 times ( change fluid drive 3-4 miles... repeat this 3-4 times) It is NOT a valve body issue,, shudder is from Flex lock up of the Torque converter... flex lock up occurs before the converter fully locks, this shudder is caused by the wrong friction coefficient of the fluid due to wrong fluid,,, we also get this due to moisture in the trans fluid (WS is hygroscopic). Find out if they put a REAL Toyota filter in it,,, if not ... get one... the factory filter is a screen and NEVER needs to be changed---- if it is clogged it is due to metal particulate matter (trans is junk anyway)) Yes there is no dip stick,,, level must be set with trans fluid at 89- 95 degrees... level surface .... Get the fluid out ASAP before it hurts the trans...........
30 + years Toyota exp. shop foreman... MDT

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
Vehicle must have WS fluid in it,,, if it has other fluid you will need to flush it out either with a machine or change fluid 3-4 times ( change fluid drive 3-4 miles... repeat this 3-4 times) It is NOT a valve body issue,, shudder is from Flex lock up of the Torque converter... flex lock up occurs before the converter fully locks, this shudder is caused by the wrong friction coefficient of the fluid due to wrong fluid,,, we also get this due to moisture in the trans fluid (WS is hygroscopic). Find out if they put a REAL Toyota filter in it,,, if not ... get one... the factory filter is a screen and NEVER needs to be changed---- if it is clogged it is due to metal particulate matter (trans is junk anyway)) Yes there is no dip stick,,, level must be set with trans fluid at 89- 95 degrees... level surface .... Get the fluid out ASAP before it hurts the trans...........
30 + years Toyota exp. shop foreman... MDT

This guy knows what he's talking about

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! The first fluid was wrong but the second and third has been the right fluid. How ever I don't know about the filter, I'll have to ask about that. The guy whom did the work wants to put a anti-shutter additive, but that sounds like snake oil to me. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I agree no snake oil! Was the work done at a shop or on the side? If at a shop, someone needs to make it right, whatever that takes...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Work was done at a shop, I'm not doing the snake oil! He may be starting to get shitty.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree no snake oil! Was the work done at a shop or on the side? If at a shop, someone needs to make it right, whatever that takes...
Exactly! There are too many shops that have bought into the "universal fluid with an additive package" scam in order to have coverage for all the fluids on the road,and you are experiencing the result of that flawed process. It was a shitty fluid and additive package that caused your problem in the first place,so another additive surely will not fix it.

I absolutely agree with toyotech-get an OE filter in there and flush it using only Toyota WS fluid and hope it straightens out. Does the repair order clearly state what they used for fluid? I believe that is required under some new consumer labeling laws,but not all states have adopted them yet. Let us know what was used if it is stated.

If that doesn't work,somebody owes you a repair. Preferably not the shop that is still 20+ years behind the times.

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
That will teach you! Sorry, you left yourself open. This guy knows what he is talking about!

Originally Posted by toyotech
Vehicle must have WS fluid in it,,, if it has other fluid you will need to flush it out either with a machine or change fluid 3-4 times ( change fluid drive 3-4 miles... repeat this 3-4 times) It is NOT a valve body issue,, shudder is from Flex lock up of the Torque converter... flex lock up occurs before the converter fully locks, this shudder is caused by the wrong friction coefficient of the fluid due to wrong fluid,,, we also get this due to moisture in the trans fluid (WS is hygroscopic). Find out if they put a REAL Toyota filter in it,,, if not ... get one... the factory filter is a screen and NEVER needs to be changed---- if it is clogged it is due to metal particulate matter (trans is junk anyway)) Yes there is no dip stick,,, level must be set with trans fluid at 89- 95 degrees... level surface .... Get the fluid out ASAP before it hurts the trans..........

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
If the shop put anything other than the right fluid in it, not universal shit, and doesn't see his fuck up then don't let him touch it anymore or you will be buying a trans. Newer vehicles are super sensitive to their brand specific, fluids, filters, etc.. If he' telling you something other than that he's not competent enough to do a tranny service.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Let m know how its going,,,,,
He should be held responsible for f'n this up.....
WS fluid is very specific...... does not take much to effect these transmissions... unfortunately....
It may be time to take it to a Dealer or a knowledgeable independent and seek some kind of settlement from the original perpetrator of this crime....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts