Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a weird one going on here. Had a 2014 Honda accord 2.4 manual trans come in the shop last week for intermittent no crank. Did all the test and its a starter solenoid not working all the time. Starter clicks but doesn't spin over. Ordered a reman starter from local carquest. Put it on and starter just spins. Does not engage fly wheel from the sound of things. Remove new starter put old one back on because customer wanted to drive it home since it was starting at times.
3 days later we get back to doing the same thing. Put another new starter on and same thing. Spins no engagement. Put old starter back on and sent him home.
Did some digging. Carquest only list one starter. Other parts houses list different starter for auto vs manual. Tried different parts house that showed one for manual. Same dang thing wont engage flywheel. They measure the same look the same everything. But they wont work. Tried to get a honda one after the second time but they are on nation wide back order. Anybody got any ideas what Im missing here?

·
Registered
605 Posts
My wife has a Honda fit ,no idea the engine size. Right after warranty the starter did the old GM click ,click ,click crap. Honda didn't have one " they never go bad they said"
. I took it apart and it had two little pieces of copper that were ate up. Honda said they don't offer parts ,I took part of a leftover copper rain gutter and cut out pieces. Worked for over a Year now. best of luck

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm the Service Director at a Honda Dealership. The '14 Accord is well known for starter issues. We sell an updated starter to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Aftermarket starters for most later model Hondas are junk! Install a Honda reman or rebuild the original starter. 99% of the time you can clean, test, grease and install a brush kit and your good to go.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes, only a Honda starter. We have tons of issues with remans from parts stores. Use only a new or unit remaned by Honda.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The "all new" china made starters are shit. I've used Denso or Honda starters only for the last few years. Everything else is a comeback waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm the Service Director at a Honda Dealership. The '14 Accord is well known for starter issues. We sell an updated starter to resolve the issue.
Do I just need to order a starter from honda or is there a special number for the updated starter?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put the new honda starter on Friday only to here it do the same thing. Called the Honda parts house only to find out they sent me the wrong starter. Apparantly I have a rare sport 4 cylinder manual trans car with actual key. Not push button start. Still not sure how they messed it up. I gave them the VIN to get a starter. But the new starter they gave me has a different number on it the the original. They said the new one has the same number as original. Time will tell. Should get new one today.

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
Put the new honda starter on Friday only to here it do the same thing. Called the Honda parts house only to find out they sent me the wrong starter. Apparantly I have a rare sport 4 cylinder manual trans car with actual key. Not push button start. Still not sure how they messed it up. I gave them the VIN to get a starter. But the new starter they gave me has a different number on it the the original. They said the new one has the same number as original. Time will tell. Should get new one today.
Damn pretty impressive the Honda parts house diagnosed the issue for you....best of luck, could have been an endless nightmare without the correct information.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
My daughter has a 2005 Accord with the 2.4L engine. We bought it fairly new for my 'then' wife. Now my daughter drives it. It never did crank that fast. It always sounded like the battery was low... even with a new battery... and I would use the bigger one for the V6. Recently, even with a fresh battery, it failed to crank very well at all... and a new starter put us back in business. They're not that hard to change, and cost around $100 or so at the parts store. I believe I had to take the intake plenum loose, and bought a new gasket... but didn't need it, so I took that back for a refund. There are tutorials on Youtube.

But, yea... In my case, these starters aren't all that strong... even when new.

Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts