Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is selling his car to someone in a different country. He's been talking to this women on the phone and says that she is nice and well to make a long story short they live on the other side of the world. They want the car and are going to wire money. So my buddy just opened another account at his bank so these people can send the money too and the women is going to have a shipping company pickup the car.. Now this is odd cause they are buying this very serious race car sight unseen. To me that doesnt sit right.
At first the women was just gonna send a bank draft and now it moved to a wire transfer. So ive been trying to find scammer type shit on the internet but thought i'd also ask if anyone know of a way my buddy can get scammed with a money wiring.......... any ideas??

·
Banned
31,418 Posts
wtf is so important about this car that someone halfway around the world cant find one locally?

scam or headache coming

if your selling a car for overseas,then get your passport ready-buy a dam plane ticket-fly over there,meet the car-make sale in person and recieve cash!!

·
Moderater
13,995 Posts
My buddy is selling his car to someone in a different country. He's been talking to this women on the phone and says that she is nice and well to make a long story short they live on the other side of the world. They want the car and are going to wire money. So my buddy just opened another account at his bank so these people can send the money too and the women is going to have a shipping company pickup the car.. Now this is odd cause they are buying this very serious race car sight unseen. To me that doesnt sit right.
At first the women was just gonna send a bank draft and now it moved to a wire transfer. So ive been trying to find scammer type shit on the internet but thought i'd also ask if anyone know of a way my buddy can get scammed with a money wiring.......... any ideas??

Do a bank to bank transfer only. Have your bank check the other persons account for available funds. Go to your bank as soon as the transfer is made move the money to a different account and kill the original account. Only way to be sure.

·
Where's me beer
3,399 Posts
What usually hapens is they say you have been paid and a agent will pick up car and they say they paid you a couple grand more to give the extra to the agent. Next you will recieve a hoax email from the people transfering the money saying that the money will be reliesed upon pickup and payment to the agent. so you pay the agent a couple of grand to come pick up thinking you have the money and you never hear from them again
somthin like that anyway

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
DO NOT RELEASE THE CAR!!!!!!!!!

until at least 10 working days, bank can verfy the funds are legit, but not for few days.
bet the ph # you been talking to is a pay cell ph.
I'd be very wary.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
If you do a bank to bank wire transfer you will have no problems. Before you go to all the trouble there is a very simple way to weed out the scammers. Ask them for their phone number so you can call to give your bank info. Tell them you dont trust the internet. If its a scam you'll never hear from them. Wire transfers are very simple and you will have your cash in a matter of hours. Stay on top of the deal. Find out the time difference from where they are to you. Have them do the transfer early in the am where you are so the funds will arrive at your bank while its open for business and not in the middle of the night. Go speak with your branch mgr. and ask them how they would do it and be safe for you. Ya just have to be smarter than the scammer. If youre not, you deserve what you fall for. There are good people over seas that do buy from our country that are honest. They dont have Jegs or Summit in foreign countries. The duty on items bought here can be as high as 40% of what you have spent. There is a member of this forum that is from Sweden. he is a great guy and used to buy alot from the U.S. He and I did some Comp Elim. engine parts and all went smooth. One thing you will find dealing with a guy like him. His word is good. He may read this and speak up. He is a good and well known racer from Sweden. He builds alot of cars or he used to.... TD, speak up if ya want.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Plenty of people buying cars and parts from overseas....if he's a true racer he'll know what he's talking about and what you have without having to look at it. Use some racing-only jargon on the guy, if he is a scammer, you'll soon know....drag racing and performance parts have a unique language worldwide which typical scammers don't understand...

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've sold a ton of cars overseas. Bank to bank wire transfer and as soon as it hits that account I move it. Its usually a little while before the car gets picked cause they have to arrange shipping. I ALWAYS make people arrange their own shipping that way it is 100% out of my hands if the timeframe or something gets screwed up. With the cost of this stuff in foreigh countries they save themselves 1000$ and 1000$ of dollars buying it here plus lots of the stuff is unavailable where they are.

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,436 Posts
Use some racing-only jargon on the guy, if he is a scammer, you'll soon know....drag racing and performance parts have a unique language worldwide which typical scammers don't understand...

Good Idea! Tell em that for a lil extra more, you would maybe consider selling the complete slip-on Roots style turbo unit that ya have. Remember to tell em it has the new style Dinglefritz ribbed pulleys and bigger electronic sonic BOV... :smt102

That should weed em out... :smt023

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wire transfer is 100% safe...we do this a few times a week. Once your bank confirms receipt, it cannot be reversed out of your account.
NOW..the scan to watch for is this one. The scammer says they are going to wire money into your account. What they really do is physically go to bank branch you use and DEPOSIT a fraudulent check into your account. When you check your account, the money is there. You release the car (goods whatever they are). A few days later the bank notifies you the check bounced..your out.

I personally would trust wire transfer over any other method (even cash as it could be counterfeit), just make sure it is truly a "wire transfer"

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone, i still have a funny feeling about this sale but my buddy has to get rid of this car and it seems only people from the otherside of the world have to money to afford this car even though its priced really well. So im gonna have to mention to him about making sure it is a true wire transfer and not some depost into the account like you said turbine tom. I just hate for my buddy to get scammed, he went to the bank to talk to the people there about this and that when they set him up with the whole seperate account just for this transfer.. I guess will see what happens and if the money gets transfered in, in the next day or two. I know he sent them the routing number yesterday via email so being that its night there when it day here i would be exxpecting that if these people are serious and legit the money would get wired in sometime today if not already..... Just a weird thought of sending your life to the other side of the world.... When you sell a car you always have that hope you'll see it again at some point in time.. anyways thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I had a kobelco blower on racing junk for sale. I guy in Austrailia emailed and asked if I would take alot less, (thought the guy was some clown for the offer he made) so I said no, full price. Next email comes and it says " ok, full price.Give me your bank info and I'll wire the money". Yeah, right. I'll do that. A few days go by and he asks again. So I set up the deal with him, go to the bank and set up a new account, the deal goes down just like he said. Sounded so much like a scam, but all was cool. I say do a new account for the wire transfer, verify the funds and then move them to your real account and send the car on its way. Never give out a number for an account with money in it. We have a few accounts we use for online payments, wires ect. that have little money in them. That way if the number gets compromised the loss is minimal. And an account we put money in that the number never gets given out for any reason, checks included.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
I ship dogs all over the world, this is a CLASSIC scam, the bank numbers will be used to get checks made, or they will say the wire transfer wont work, then send him a cashiers check for MORE than the balance. The shipping guy will come get the EXTRA money they enclosed for shipping. The check will take 2 weeks to come back as fake!!!!!! Will take 2 weeks because it is an out of country bank

They will find away to tell him they are sending more than the balance, thata the money they are after

1 - 20 of 34 Posts