Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please be nice, I'm only 17 and this is my first job ;)

But anyways, I work for this guy who owns a Windshield Repair business. And he specializes in rock chips. Basically what he does is will come to your house, work, wherever you are and fix the chip in under 10 minutes. The service costs $40 and in most cases your insurance will pay you back that money.

So my job is to set up appointments for him. I work on my own schedule, so whenever I feel motivated to. And I think the money is pretty decent too, $10 a person.

Where I am having trouble is getting people who actually want to do this though.
What do you think would be the best way to get customers?
Door to door, Calling from phone book? I've tried flyers and so far it's got me absolutely nothing..
Let me know what you guys think is best to do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Push the saftey aspect of it, and then have a comparison your service to price of a new windshield.

If all else fails get a BB gun and drum up some business..

Flyers seem good idea, have people put them in break rooms at their employers as well, grocery store have bulletin boards, heck even run an add on craigs list.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Walk through parking lots and look for cars with chipped windshields, place a business car with estimate on it for the repairs.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Try the pay me now or pay me more later approach. But do it in a nice way. Always be nice when selling and make the other person feel good about themselves. Compliments go a long way. There are so many do's and dont's and inbetween's in sales, you should really buy some books to learn about what makes a good salesperson. Being in sales is like anything else, it takes a lot of practice and along the way, you're going to pick up some scrapes and scars. The one thing that really helped me was remembering the three key components that make a sale...... The customer must be ready, willing and able. Without any one of these three components, you'll never make the sale. Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the tips,I will definitely try to make some friends and i'll go post flyers in local stores etc.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
When I used to be in sales, I found that a combination of calling and making contacts in various ways was the most effective. I would post fliers one day a week, another I would cold call (maybe get in touch with a auto repair shop and post fliers there). On another day, you might try the going through parking lots looking for chipped windows (as someone said earlier) and leave a flier or business card under the wipers. Perhaps on a fourth day of a week, or as you set it up, you could get permission from an auto parts store and hand out fliers as people leave the parts store. That way, you could answer any questions that they might have. Also, craigslist might be an idea that could work too. I found that spreading myself around and trying various methods was the best way to get the word out.

SpeedAddict

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Hit windshield with hammer then leave card under wiper. this should get some business. key here is dont let them see you do it LOL

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Cold call selling is the toughest you will do. My son does it, works for a marketing company.

I agree with the poster above. Forget the one by one stuff. Hit all the oil change places, detail shops, hand car washes, etc. Only thing is, nobody does something for nothing. To gain their help, you have to offer them something.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Hit all the small used car dealerships too. The key to sales is pricing. If you can beat your competitor's price, you'll get the job. Get him to teach you how to do it. Then buy your own kit and go into business.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The key to success in any business is to have other people make you money. As already stated above, fast lube places, car dealerships, local garages. let those people find you coustomers. maybe offer them a finders fee. If you have enough volume you could give them a monthly check. Everyone makes out that way.

Now go and buy your own shit and do it for yourself so you are the one making money and not your boss. ;)

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would buy a kit cause the guy explained to me the process and everything, but I had to sign a contract saying if I quit I wouldn't go into the same kind of business for the next 2 years.
But I guess he said if I "quit". Hehe, which means as long as I don't quit then I can operate my own business :)

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Ryan, try making friends with the guys that do the paintless dent removal also. You may be able to do cross promoting. Cold calls are kinda tough. There was a guy that had a booth set up at the Long Beach swap meet a few years ago....

Good luck dude.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The cross promotion thing is a great idea. I'd find the busyest oil change place in town. Go buy a couple pizzas and drop them off for lunch along with some of your flyers. May be alil cash out of your pocket at first but could really pay off if they like you enough to advertise for you.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Find a local full service car wash, work out a deal with the owner and do the repairs there. You may be able to direct bill insurance companies and charge the customer nothing, who wouldn't want their chipped windshield fixed for free? Maybe you could do this on your own? :)

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
A local outfit sets-up in the mall parking lot on weekends. Busy intersection. They put up some vinyl banners and cones. (With mall permission) Seem to keep pretty busy doing that.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Please be nice, I'm only 17 and this is my first job ;)

But anyways, I work for this guy who owns a Windshield Repair business. And he specializes in rock chips. Basically what he does is will come to your house, work, wherever you are and fix the chip in under 10 minutes. The service costs $40 and in most cases your insurance will pay you back that money.

So my job is to set up appointments for him. I work on my own schedule, so whenever I feel motivated to. And I think the money is pretty decent too, $10 a person.

Where I am having trouble is getting people who actually want to do this though.
What do you think would be the best way to get customers?
Door to door, Calling from phone book? I've tried flyers and so far it's got me absolutely nothing..
Let me know what you guys think is best to do.

Thanks!

^^^ This is not the approach to take with your type of sales ^^^

There are some good ideas mentioned on here for your type of sales, but your most valuable asset(s) with sales is YOU, then your network of contacts, then you have to believe in the product(s) that you're selling and stand behind them 110%! If your customers trust you, then the rest is easy. (i stayed in a holiday inn express last night :p)

I'd also visit brake tag / vehicle inspection places, because around here you can't get a brake tag for your vehicle if you have a chip / crack over a certain size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I applaud you for your efforts. At 17, you are a few steps ahead of most. However, I have a few tips. If you live in a small town, your reputation is everything. Do not try to compete, or "moonlight" on your employer. Word will get out and you are sunk. Do prospect car lots, repair centers, towing companies, and insurance agencies. You will have to win over business owners to get referrals. As others stated, offer to cross advertise/refer their business for them in exchange for referrals/flyer space, etc. It will take time to establish yourself. Lots of footwork. Hang in there and get experience and bigger things will come. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts