Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 5 year old Maytag that quit over night. Lights and fans work, compressor is hot and the relay(I think) keeps clicking. Any idea's on what it is? And can I fix this myself? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
310 Posts
It may have had a short cycled is were the power goes out real fast and comes back on and the compressor didn't keep up and gets caught in between the compression stoke with liquid and just gets hot. Shut it down for a few minutes or give it a good smack it may get the piston going again.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The compressor wasn't running, but was hot. I unplugged it to let it cool off. Plugged it back in and about a half hour later it was hot again but not running. If you're looking at the back of the fridge, there is a relay on the far left that clicks every couple of minutes. Not sure if that's normal or not either?

·
Registered
310 Posts
check and see if the capacitor looks swelled up usualy were the terminals are should be flat and if its looks like it has a bump the cap is done more than likely.that would make the compressor not run and get hot also.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

·
your mamas ride home
15,297 Posts
It needs a start relay. they are common issues with the maytag/whirlpool. embraco compressors. get the start relay with overload and youll be good to go.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It needs a start relay. they are common issues with the maytag/whirlpool. embraco compressors. get the start relay with overload and youll be good to go.
Spot on. Most likely the relay. A well known issue. But before purchasing it would be a good idea to ohm out the compressor windings. You should read continuity between each of the three compressor terminals. And no continuity from any to the case ground.

A 3 in 1 "hard start" relay kit can be substituted and available at your local refrigeration retailer. It elimina, overload and capacitor(if equiped).

Jim

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Spot on. Most likely the relay. A well known issue. But before purchasing it would be a good idea to ohm out the compressor windings. You should read continuity between each of the three compressor terminals. And no continuity from any to the case ground.

A 3 in 1 "hard start" relay kit can be substituted and available at your local refrigeration retailer. It elimina, overload and capacitor(if equiped).

Jim
x's2 on the 3n1

·
your mamas ride home
15,297 Posts

Jim
Your talking the rco-410? it will shorten compressor life. so you know.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I called 13 places in my area and nobody had one in stock, so I had one order it for me.

·
your mamas ride home
15,297 Posts
Really? Significantly so? Yes, that was the universal kit I was thinking about.
Yes it is to big to stay on a small fridge under 25 cubic feet. urco-810 is easier on them but still not suggested.

Life will be under 3yrs left typically after puting a 3/1 on a embraco compressor 60-80-90 series.

·
your mamas ride home
15,297 Posts
8201786 is the item you need to get. than it will have two of them and a sheet on whih to use. black dot is the more common one.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh shit, I ordered start relay #63001003. The companies that did give me a part number all gave me that one. The diagram I found shows this part attached to the side of the compressor.

·
your mamas ride home
15,297 Posts
Oh shit, I ordered start relay #63001003. The companies that did give me a part number all gave me that one. The diagram I found shows this part attached to the side of the compressor.
It doesnt come with both the relay and overload. ill check really quickly and let you know for sure in a minute.

How big is the fridge? whats the model number?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts