Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of powder coating done at a local place here in town. Mostly valve covers, intakes and such. Now this guy does GREAT work.....but I have MANY times taken something with a logo or text...either raised or inset and they cannot do two colors....they claim they can't keep it from bleeding......so when I get the part back I have to prep it and paint whatever it is that I am wanting a different color. Like I said.....the quality of the work they DO perform is excellent.......but damn, I take $200 or more worth of stuff to them, it's really ass chappin' to know I'm gonna have to spend ANOTHER 5 hours on the stuff to get the text or logos painted myself......

Again......I'm not complaining about the quality....but I have seen two colors on parts....I KNOW it can be done.......I just can't keep spending additional time on all this stuff after paying for powder coating!

How is two color powdercoat done? I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of getting equipped to do it myself in house.....I'm spending a full day making it look like I want ANYWAY......

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
our guy at our shop has done as much as 3 coats with different colours , he did a base colour then ghosted in some flames of another colour and then cleared it for a final coat , not sure of the procedure but the end result is pretty cool .

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly.....I know it CAN be done.....I've seen parts like that......but HOW is it done.......I'd be happy to pay them extra to do it if I could tell them what to try.........They have never said it CANNOT be done.....they just admitted they have not been successful at keeping the colors from bleeding together so they just quit doing it....

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
easiest way is to do the raised portion first, cure it, Then tape it of, cut the tape exactly, very time consuming, then do the main color, cure again, the remove the tape. You have to use special tape and it isn't cheap but it will take the heat and not leave a glue residue, It does take time to get it right but once you learn it's there in your mind till you get Alzheimer's LOL In powdercoat PRETREATMENt is the most important part.

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
easiest way is to do the raised portion first, cure it, Then tape it of, cut the tape exactly, very time consuming, then do the main color, cure again, the remove the tape. You have to use special tape and it isn't cheap but it will take the heat and not leave a glue residue, It does take time to get it right but once you learn it's there in your mind till you get Alzheimer's LOL In powdercoat PRETREATMENt is the most important part.
Yea....I've seen them use the tape you speak of, looks like some kinda fiberglass tape.....whitish clear colored, different widths.

Maybe they just do not want to spend the extra time to do it.......I know its a pain in the ass, because I have to do that every time so I can paint what I need a different color......I have a set of ZR-1 Corvette cam covers that I had them coat red.....look great, BUT now I'm gonna have to spend at least 3-4 hours taping and prepping these to get the text painted black. The text is INSET on these......even MORE of a pain it the ass to make it look right!

Damn shame of it is that if I find someone within 50 miles that DOES do it, they are gonna lose my business to the guy willing to do it.......I'm in a time bind now days where these parts need to be READY TO BOLT ON after a thourough cleaning only.....not have to spend another day on them to get what I REALLY want........

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
He's exactly right, although my powder coater (see sig) uses a odd looking clear green tape. Comes off after the oven with no residue, but man is it a bitch to get off. It's almost like it plasticizes to the part in the oven.

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
Yea....I've seen them use the tape you speak of, looks like some kinda fiberglass tape.....whitish clear colored, different widths.

Maybe they just do not want to spend the extra time to do it.......I know its a pain in the ass, because I have to do that every time so I can paint what I need a different color......I have a set of ZR-1 Corvette cam covers that I had them coat red.....look great, BUT now I'm gonna have to spend at least 3-4 hours taping and prepping these to get the text painted black. The text is INSET on these......even MORE of a pain it the ass to make it look right!

Damn shame of it is that if I find someone within 50 miles that DOES do it, they are gonna lose my business to the guy willing to do it.......I'm in a time bind now days where these parts need to be READY TO BOLT ON after a thourough cleaning only.....not have to spend another day on them to get what I REALLY want........
The stuff i use when I powder coat, No I don't do it for customers just for my self, is a clear blue tape form shercon, its about $5 a roll for 3/4 inch, but works fine. The cheap Chicago pneumatic powder kits from harborfreight work ok but pretreatment is the key to making it stay stuck. The 2 tone inset letters is real time consuming and Im sure if you find some one willing to powder coat it like that for you will add $2-300 to the price to cover the time it takes to do it and redo it if it f's up. It may be easier to just have it powder coated then inject some urethane paint thru a syringe into the letters and let it flow and cure if you get the part level.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Send the stuff to QC Coatings. :-D

qccoatings.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts