Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are machines that bend rebar all day into specific shapes for jobs but didnt know where a guy could send a piece of rod thats bent to a specific shape and then have some made? Dont even know if itd be affordable due to initial set up but still curious.

I made a quick disconnect sway bar link for my 4 wheeler, found out why nobody offers one since its multiple angles/arcs happening at same time, but got it figured out and had some guys on polaris forum asking if i could make them one...its a time consuming process in the shed with a pegged steel plate as initial guide and then lots of heat and manual bending in vice to get it into shape required so wondered if i sent mine to somebody they could cmm or scan it into their bender and rip some out.

Ill post a picture for the jist of it, honestly dont even know if a machine can bend them tight like this..i just dont know so figured the well traveled minds on yb would know.

Then video to show its purpose

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,805 Posts
i think most of the automatic production machines are for smaller guage wire/ bar stock .............. have you thought of looking at one of those diacro benders with the pins you can position where you need them and just do them manually ?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Lots of semi truck repair shops can bend it. They make custom u bolts for trucks and trailers....

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if i have the muscles to cold bend 3/4" steel rod lol.

Being a wimp aside, manually bending it isnt the problem, repeating the specific bends/angles to a shape i know works is. Theres gotta be big benders esspecially with high rises, bridges, etc...plus whatever other kind of project requiring shaped steel for reinforcement.

·
Registered
18,846 Posts
Look for an old school welding shop with a Hossfeld bender. They'd have to do them manually, no automation, but the Hossfeld can bend them cold. I'd make a WAG that they could do 20 pcs for under $200.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
That's hard stuff to bend ........ I would bend that into a S about 6'' long for jointing bricks on comercial jobs

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look for an old school welding shop with a Hossfeld bender. They'd have to do them manually, no automation, but the Hossfeld can bend them cold. I'd make a WAG that they could do 20 pcs for under $200.
Place i buy all my steel from for projects has been around since the 30's, call Custom Blacksmithing, they do all sorts of neat shit. Owner is 2nd generation about ready to pass it to his son who farts around drag racing nitrous or turbo'd busa's depending on his flavor that summer, but they have done a ton of props for movies and he even built a gattleing gun from scratch yrs ago he takes to those old reinactment things. Neat place and can do alot of different stuff. Ill have to take it down and talk to the kid this week and see what he says, maybe if they cant do it he may know someplace local that could.

·
time to go racing yet ?
34,805 Posts
one of these diacros , you can usually get them cheap , i think there rated at 1" but that depends on who is doing the pulling /pushing

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,342 Posts
Turn the bottom Heim 90*
Then you only need two 90* on the same plane.

OR

BUILD a tube with 90* ends welded.

OR

Build a tube with 90* tubes with 3/4" bolts through.

Heat and bend the ends, you lose all the strength.

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I work at a handicap shop look and see if there are any shops around you that install hand controls call and ask if the can istall sure grip controls if they can they will have the tool to bend that up that would take me about 5 min to bend that all for you

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Turn the bottom Heim 90*
Then you only need two 90* on the same plane.

OR

BUILD a tube with 90* ends welded.

OR

Build a tube with 90* tubes with 3/4" bolts through.

Heat and bend the ends, you lose all the strength.

Your Pal, Gary
Gary, thats been tried and it simply wont work because the sway bar and lca operate on opposing axis...if it was that easy itd already be done and guys still wouldnt be trying to solve the riddle since 2009 lol.

My first attempt i made brackets and a "typical" center link....bent the ever living shit out of it because of the opposing angles.

If ya get time watch my video and note:
Path sway bar moves
Path lca moves
Then when i couple it with my crazy bent link, notice how those heims rotate on multiple axis at same time.

Factory uses thick rubber bushings to account for all that craziness going on at once....polaris couldnt make it easy like my buddys grizzly where mounting points are inline, and direction of travel is inline...the way his is designed would be like the jeeps guys do, replace oem bolt with a quick pin...pull the pij and its uncoupled...polaris...not so much.

This was first attempt and failed miserably die to extreme bind and bent the shit out of stuff...i did t remove springs to put it thru full range of motion to catch that and see the multiple paths each wnd takes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts