Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I got transferred from NJ to west point PA at the beginning of May. We've been making the 82 mile drive each way every day and it's starting to get to me. Originally I thought we could drive and I'd be able to deal with 160 mile a day drive.

We're now looking at moving out, my wife's been looking around in Boyertown, douglasville, souderton , gilberstville, perkiomen valley, perkasie, and skippack.
Any advice or input on the towns and school system in these towns. I know they're a little further out but it's more affordable and in our budget. Also, my stepson is half puerto rican and looks a little ethnic and I've been told there are KKK pockets out in some of these towns.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My wife and I got transferred from NJ to west point PA at the beginning of May. We've been making the 82 mile drive each way every day and it's starting to get to me. Originally I thought we could drive and I'd be able to deal with 160 mile a day drive.

We're now looking at moving out, my wife's been looking around in Boyertown, douglasville, souderton , gilberstville, perkiomen valley, perkasie, and skippack.
Any advice or input on the towns and school system in these towns. I know they're a little further out but it's more affordable and in our budget. Also, my stepson is half puerto rican and looks a little ethnic and I've been told there are KKK pockets out in some of these towns.
Well Perkasie is in our school district which is Pennridge district, and is a very good school. Gilbertsville,Perkiomen Valley are nice areas too. Souderton is very good as well, lots of great people in this area. I don't know much about Boyertown & Douglasville but I have never exprience any KKK activity anywhere in this area.

This area is a very great place to live & raise a family I would feel safe moving to any of these towns. As far the knuckleheads go they're everywhere. I say you'll be really comfortable here and Welcome if you decide to move to the area.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i live in emmaus witch is rite outside allentown my daughter goes to lower macungie middle school the town is great n the schools r awsum it was rated 87th best place to live in america real afordable

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hate to say it but stay away from boyertown. There are racist everywhere, but from what I have experienced a higher concentration there. I live 1 mile away from my shop in Limerick. Love the area, Spring ford school district is awesome. My boy is going to 2nd grade and I am impressed with all the school staff and how much they care about the kids. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
i live in emmaus witch is rite outside allentown my daughter goes to lower macungie middle school the town is great n the schools r awsum it was rated 87th best place to live in america real afordable

X2 Mom and Dad live in Emmaus and sister lives and teaches in Macungie. Nice area.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
the Lehigh Valley, Upper Bucks County and Berks County are all excellent areas to live and raise a family. Upper Bucks can be pricey.. I'm actually looking at a 3 acre parcel in Plumsteadville Pa.
Good News is you have Maple Grove,Cecil,Atco and Englishtown all within 2 hour drive.

Best Wishes.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
the Lehigh Valley, Upper Bucks County and Berks County are all excellent areas to live and raise a family. Upper Bucks can be pricey.. I'm actually looking at a 3 acre parcel in Plumsteadville Pa.
Good News is you have Maple Grove,Cecil,Atco and Englishtown all within 2 hour drive.

Best Wishes.
The good thing about building in Plumstead is the township is really great to work with. Not like some areas around here.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hate to say it but stay away from boyertown. There are racist everywhere, but from what I have experienced a higher concentration there.
Thanks for the heads up on that one.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
The good thing about building in Plumstead is the township is really great to work with. Not like some areas around here.
yes I called them about detached garages.. some towns are very difficult with detached garages. I'm currently investigating central and upper bucks. You will get more value the further north you go away from Phila. The problem I have is my office is located in lower Bucks and my employees all live close to Phila.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
subscribing to this thread, one of my best friends lives in Gilbertsville, ever since he has moved up there I have been trying to myself.... I just need to find a busier fire company to join then new hanover LOL they only run like 250 calls a year that would drive me nutz.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Working at merk?
Yes, for 13 years at the Rahway plant. They're shutting down our building and offered jobs at the westpoint plant.

Someone else mentioned meckungie so I will be looking around there too. Ive found some beautiful houses in boyertown but then heard the KKK thing and that threw me off.

Overall, I'm tired of NJ, the people, the laws and regulations. It's not called a police state for nothing. I'm looking forward to owning a gun, riding a motorcycle without a helmet etc. All good info here, thanks guys!

·
slams revolving doors
3,854 Posts
You will be happy with the taxes over here. I don't know how people can live in N.J.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Overall, I'm tired of NJ, the people, the laws and regulations. It's not called a police state for nothing. I'm looking forward to owning a gun, riding a motorcycle without a helmet etc. All good info here, thanks guys!
hahahha i hear ya, but just wait until you go leave the state and on your house closing you see the "2% transfer tax". They even charge you for leaving.

We lived maybe 3-4 miles from Atco. Loved the area just getting to expensive and all the political BS, had to leave.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hahahha i hear ya, but just wait until you go leave the state and on your house closing you see the "2% transfer tax". They even charge you for leaving.

We lived maybe 3-4 miles from Atco. Loved the area just getting to expensive and all the political BS, had to leave.
Reading all of these posts is getting me excited and amped about coming out and getting a taste of a little more freedom.

Ricer, where in PA did you move to?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hate to say it but stay away from boyertown. There are racist everywhere, but from what I have experienced a higher concentration there. I live 1 mile away from my shop in Limerick. Love the area, Spring ford school district is awesome. My boy is going to 2nd grade and I am impressed with all the school staff and how much they care about the kids. Hope that helps.
x2 Boyertown and Douglassville. If I remember correctly the Klan were trying to get a permit to march in Boyertown a few years ago. SpringFord SD just built some new schools...my guess would be that their property taxes reflect it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Yes, for 13 years at the Rahway plant. They're shutting down our building and offered jobs at the westpoint plant.

Someone else mentioned meckungie so I will be looking around there too. Ive found some beautiful houses in boyertown but then heard the KKK thing and that threw me off.

Merck in Rahway...I did the addition to the 80 B building and worked on 119..Do you know any of the Radd's from there?? You will be very happy with PA..I grew up in NJ and moved to NY to get away from the taxes..now taxes are just as bad here..trying to sell my building lot now so I can make the jump to PA

1 - 20 of 48 Posts