Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a computer for gaming but more so for autocad. My laptop works but I still need a desktop regardless. I know I want atleast 8gb of ram and i7 processor with atleast 3.0 ghz.

Help please?

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
soildworks needs more power than autocad thats for sure. I should of said soildworks to start with. I use to have a machine that was fast as hell. On my laptop I have to wait for cad to load and its slugish at times. I need a homebase. Use my laptop when I have to.

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hit up some computer forums,,,,Tomshardware.com

i7,which I upgraded to last week is amazingly fast
Get a nice EVGA Vid card and 6GB ram and youll be set
or go to 12Gb of ram,8 wont work since thats dual channel
and i7s want triple channel - They just released new chips also
called Sandy Bridge - PM me if you need any more info

Been trying to find out about the dual channel thing vs triple. Is triple DDR3?

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
would like to stay 1000 for a tower get away with 1200-1300 max

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^ I found a pretty bad ass MOBO for pretty cheap.

triple channel means having 3 banks (6 slots), but that only comes in x58 MOBO. when I've been told to use p67 mobo...now i'm confused lol

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The only boards that support triple channel memory are the x58 boards and those only allow the high end i7 and not the 1155 sockets/h2 uses the p67 boards.

I was told that i7 only like triple channel and not dual?

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
could you take two different new nivida cars that are SLI ready and combine them?

like one for gaming and one for 3D cad?

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just got on tiger direct/new egg and they no longer have anything listed for the LGA 1155 socket....anybody know whats up???

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Great i needed a computer using 2600k processor yesterday going to order everything today!!

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Don't know much about AMD but if I'm dropping the coin for it I want it to be one if the fastest bitches on the market lol

I need one bad bc my whole build was around one

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
if I have to build a computer now... looks like the only socket is 1136. But thats still more money verus the old 1155 socket. I would have to spend more money for a 1136 cpu to just get what the 2600k *1155* does just to be in the same Ball field....correct?

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I hate how tiger direct doesn't have the "good shit" in stock. Only thing they have in stock is the tower and power supply. Maybe hd and cd drive. Think I'm going with 1366 i950 i7

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
agree, 64 bit (XP if you can find it or Win 7 runs pretty good), 8GB ram, quaddro FX, and CPU with highest clock rate in your budget.

There is only 2 graphics card lines with the firmware and drivers tailored to SWX/modeling. The Nvidia Quaddro line and an ATI line. The Quaddro FX series seems to have a slight advantage from the benchmarks I have seen. The lowest one worth buying is the Quaddro FX1800 ($450-500). Also use the drivers from SWX rather than the latest from the graphics company.

I am up in the air on multiple CPU cores for SWX as I have watched 2, 3, 4, and 6 core performance and it appears that even with more cores the cumulative usage only adds up to 100% when maxed out. i.e. 2 core 50/50, 4 core 25/25/25/25. There is a bottle neck in SWX somewhere whether it be graphic card related or how it multi threads. That being said dollar for dollar buy a CPU with the highest clock rate rather than number of cores.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4777384

where is the clock rate in this? Is it named under something else?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.