Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to build a computer for gaming but more so for autocad. My laptop works but I still need a desktop regardless. I know I want atleast 8gb of ram and i7 processor with atleast 3.0 ghz.

Help please?

·
Professor
90,869 Posts
I like Gigabyte mother boards. I used to use ASUS but their quality has slipped lately. Can't go wrong with a GB Board.

If you're springing for an i7 chip, spring for the fastest memory. The boards you are looking at will have 3 rows of memory so you're looking at 6, 12, 18, 24 meg, etc.

Get the 64 bit OS

Spend money on a good video card. At least $200. Don't go cheap there.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966996+4294965873+4294957510&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct&

Here's a story...we spent good money on a ASUS mother board and it failed. Then we got a cheapo $65 MB to replace it with. The cheapo board benchmarked better....who knew.

I like this case for the money: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0283272

Antec 300

has 2-120MM fans up front, 140 on top, 120 on the back, and another 120 on the side panel. The power supply is on the bottom, which I like.

·
Senior Frog
10,327 Posts
I'm looking to build a computer for gaming but more so for autocad. My laptop works but I still need a desktop regardless. I know I want atleast 8gb of ram and i7 processor with atleast 3.0 ghz.

Help please?
hit up some computer forums,,,,Tomshardware.com

i7,which I upgraded to last week is amazingly fast
Get a nice EVGA Vid card and 6GB ram and youll be set
or go to 12Gb of ram,8 wont work since thats dual channel
and i7s want triple channel - They just released new chips also
called Sandy Bridge - PM me if you need any more info

·
Registered
502 Posts
The new i 7`s only use dual channel memory 1300mhz, i just upped from a i7 860 to a i7 2600 (3.4ghz) , wow is all I can say, some guys have had the 2600k to 5 GHZ, really amazing chips, graphics built into the processor too but you have to use a h67 board, the p67 boards need a dedicated video card which I would go for a 460 gtx or higher, 5770 if you like the radeons. I build them as a hobby, my uncle has always worked for IBM so I get some real good support... I only use gigabyte boards in all my builds, cant go wrong but always get a ud3 or better

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I tried that once, I think its better to buy a complete computer. I shopped computer shopper for the cheapest prices and saved about $100 dollars until I ordered an incompatible hard drive which wiped out any savings due to restocking fees.

I recently bought a DELL work station for less than $2500, 8 Gb ram and a high end video card suited for CAD. The gaming video cards as good as they are wont cut, atleast thats what my research resulted in. Im assuming your talking about inventor series ACAD, if just regular Acad then any standard up todate PC will do.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I don't know about autocad, but my 64 bit Win 7 pc at home runs Solidworks so much quicker than this 32 bit XP one here at work it is maddening sometimes.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
soildworks needs more power than autocad thats for sure. I should of said soildworks to start with. I use to have a machine that was fast as hell. On my laptop I have to wait for cad to load and its slugish at times. I need a homebase. Use my laptop when I have to.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hit up some computer forums,,,,Tomshardware.com

i7,which I upgraded to last week is amazingly fast
Get a nice EVGA Vid card and 6GB ram and youll be set
or go to 12Gb of ram,8 wont work since thats dual channel
and i7s want triple channel - They just released new chips also
called Sandy Bridge - PM me if you need any more info

Been trying to find out about the dual channel thing vs triple. Is triple DDR3?

·
Senior Frog
10,327 Posts
What about this rig? TD has them for 999.99

Are Levono any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108463&cm_re=i7_2600-_-83-108-463-_-Product

With two of these...I don't understand the whole ratio concept and can't find any info on them.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6089031&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#tabs
that PC has a weak vid card but the rest look solid and that monitor does not have HDMI

·
Registered
637 Posts
Also look at power supplies and how they are cooled.
If you really like gaming and are up on them you need a supply that is up to the task with good fans.
They even have water cooled ones.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would like to stay 1000 for a tower get away with 1200-1300 max

·
Registered
820 Posts
I build my own,but right now I'm about 5 years behind the current "state of the art" so I've been doing some brushing up,I need to build me another one that can keep up with all the new games & such,kinda getting hard to find games that my 'puter can hang with.

I just wanted to drop in and agree with the fella that recommended the Gigabyte motherboards,that's what I've always used,and I've had very good luck with them,so that's what my next MB will use for sure.

Bret P.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^ I found a pretty bad ass MOBO for pretty cheap.

triple channel means having 3 banks (6 slots), but that only comes in x58 MOBO. when I've been told to use p67 mobo...now i'm confused lol

·
U.S. Navy Retired
4,800 Posts
how do you know if it is triple vs dual?
Don't confuse Channeling with the RAM's data transfer speed. To do a true dual or triple channel, the RAM needs to be the same MHZ wise and prefereably the same brand for best results. DDR3 is the ability of the RAM's data transfer. Hence DDR3 is faster than DDR2.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts