Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a interview for a railroad mechanic apprentiship. anyone have and pros or cons. sounds like lots of inspections and goverment saftey stuff..

·
Registered
462 Posts
where at and with what co.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dm and e,
davenport iowa
im laid off from a good job dont know whats or if anything will ever amount from it again.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,119 Posts
i heard they whip you hard if your a new guy . i looked into it ... not my cup of tea , i like to be home every week

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would pretty much be at the same place 8-10 hr days. only bad part is my days off would be like tue or wed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My Dad works for NS and doesnt recommend it. He is a B&B mechanic 34years in

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. sound about like when i got into automotive. ill see what they say. things are tough and as long as theres no contract i will suck it up and take the beating to get off unemployment.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is it for a carman or locomotive mechanic. Yes everything is about inspections and you sign your name to everything. If you fail on a inspection an they feel it is willfull they fine you an you can not work til its paid. The fine is around 5K. I worked for Wisconsin Central & Canadian National for 16 years. I was a pipe fitter for 12 years then a carman for 4. The politics will drive you nuts!!! The work isnt all that bad dont get me wrong I am probably making it sound worse than it is. If you are thorough you will be fine. PM me if you want to talk more about it. Then they were cutting back so here I am today doing my own thing. www.furoracing.com

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
My buddy is a locomotive mechanic for NS here in Ohio. He makes pretty good money. The worst part IMO is the schedule. He has been there 11yrs. and the best he can hold is 2nd shift with Thurs./Fri. off. He said you have to be damn near retirement to hold 1st with Sat./Sun. off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts