Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
shock will break the nose of lifter.

float due to not enough spring pressure..
if you must have high rpms..then go to a legit solid roller cam and lifters...

once in a while the issue is that the tie link is bottoming out on the top of lifter bore of engine block.

or the next adjacent lobe of cam is too close and rubs on that lifter body....

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
Had 2 fellow racers with that same lifter, that did the same thing! We went with a different brand. Had to be some kind of defect in the lifter.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, this combo has been the same for almost 2 years, and the motor doesnt get turned past 6400 rpms. Small hyd roller camshaft. I was thinking it may be a lifter defect too. I have no luck, thats for damn sure. Just swapped converters to go test today at the track, and when I cranked it to back it off of the rack, it backfired...and I found this bs.

·
Registered
23,745 Posts
How much collateral damage did the pieces cause, or did you luck out on that. ?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent taken the motor out yet to tear it down. From a short look from what I can actually see, the cam doesnt even look hurt, and the motor didnt run except for the 2 seconds before it backfired through the carb. Im hoping everything is good to go. Probably convert to solid roller this time around.

·
Brewmaster
12,585 Posts
Far as I know they are re-badged morels. Ran the same ones in Chevy flavor and got an axle walking out on at least one. Wasn't running them within their design limits though so not too surprised I had problems. They didn't like lots of duration and high RPM.

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
Yeah, this combo has been the same for almost 2 years, and the motor doesnt get turned past 6400 rpms. Small hyd roller camshaft. I was thinking it may be a lifter defect too. I have no luck, thats for damn sure. Just swapped converters to go test today at the track, and when I cranked it to back it off of the rack, it backfired...and I found this bs.

When it backfired , did it also snap the dist drivshaft in half? When my friends cars did the same thing, metal from the lifter got in the oilpump and locked it up and broke the hardened shaft..I cleaned everything out, installed different lifters and new strainer/filter..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When it backfired , did it also snap the dist drivshaft in half? When my friends cars did the same thing, metal from the lifter got in the oilpump and locked it up and broke the hardened shaft..I cleaned everything out, installed different lifters and new strainer/filter..
Havent torn anything down yet. Just got the new converter in when this happened, so I was already tired of phucking with it. Probably take it out this weekend.

Thanks for all of the replies, and like I mentioned previously, ill probably go solid roller, all Comp stuff, and be done with it. I didnt want to spend the extra $$ to convert to solid, but im done fighting this hydraulic bs. Bent a few valves, broke one, and adjusted different ways with different people to solve the issue before. Checked PTV clearance with a solid lifter and different pushrod and there was plenty. Maybe the lifters have been failing for a long time, and I was getting lucky at first. Who knows...

·
Registered
14,754 Posts
How big is the cam you're running those on? The fully enclosed design like that is a stock-type replacement lifter and only has a .700" dia. wheel on it. If you're running more than about 220-225 @ .05 and over .500" lift, you're putting more load on that roller than it was intended for. You need to step up to a performance retrofit lifter with a .750 wheel like the Morel 5879.
If you need a set, or want to convert to a SR, hit me up. I can help.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How big is the cam you're running those on? The fully enclosed design like that is a stock-type replacement lifter and only has a .700" dia. wheel on it. If you're running more than about 220-225 @ .05 and over .500" lift, you're putting more load on that roller than it was intended for. You need to step up to a performance retrofit lifter with a .750 wheel like the Morel 5879.
Yeah, the cam is bigger than that. 602/608 lift, 272/284 durati,on I believe on a 110 lsa. Dont quote me on those numbers, theyre off of memory. I did no research on the lifters, but was the only retrofits I thought would be good since the RPM's werent going to be turned high. Im not an expert engine builder, nor do I know a whole lot on proper valvetrain options. Bunch of stuff thrown together to haul ass, and it did...for a while haha. Ill let you know what my plans are when I get the motor torn down. I was going to convert to a glide after I sold the transmission....now I guess the c4 will have to hang out until I get the motor shit figured out. Yay.

·
Registered
14,754 Posts
Yeah, the cam is bigger than that. 602/608 lift, 272/284 durati,on I believe on a 110 lsa. Dont quote me on those numbers, theyre off of memory. I did no research on the lifters, but was the only retrofits I thought would be good since the RPM's werent going to be turned high. Im not an expert engine builder, nor do I know a whole lot on proper valvetrain options. Bunch of stuff thrown together to haul ass, and it did...for a while haha. Ill let you know what my plans are when I get the motor torn down. I was going to convert to a glide after I sold the transmission....now I guess the c4 will have to hang out until I get the motor shit figured out. Yay.
Honestly I'm surprised they lasted that long. That's a pretty good tribute to the Morels. The edge of that lifter body had to be very close to hitting the lobe. Surprised they even worked.
let me know if/when I can help.:supz:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
X2 Stock replacement lifters, There tough but not that tough LOL

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Don't know how far you plan on tearing it down but I'd try to get a compression test if you're not pulling the pistons. Can always swap lifters to check the one cyl.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts