Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having an issue with my A/C in my house, the blower fan in the unit will run for awhile and quit, you can turn it off for awhile and let it cool down and fire it back up and it will blow for awhile then stops, tripping a breaker in the process. The blower fan spins freely when off it also surges when its running, like its trying to stop.

ive done some looking online and some have said it could be the run capacitor, is there anyway to test it? the capacitor is like $40 and the blower is like $250, so id like to get out cheap lol

unit is a Lennox g12rq3-110

·
Registered
283 Posts
Usually if it starts it's not a capacitor....sounds like bearing may be tight and just pulling high amps. Sounds like a motor, good luck with the Lennox parts...very pricey, u may be able to get a universal motor tho

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
guess the only way to make sure i get the right one is to pull the old one off :( its hot at hell here lately, was 108* today

·
Registered
283 Posts
Usually Lennox uses different rpm motors and Wierd frames...take a picture of motor or put info from tag on motor and may be able to help u find the right motor

·
Registered
309 Posts
Post a pic. Most capacitors are only 2-5 bucks !!!! Universal motors are $ 60-100. Keep in mind if you hook the motor up wrong you could fry it instantly so it may be a good idea to find someone to help you with it.

·
YB Managing Editor
51,138 Posts
Usually if it starts it's not a capacitor....sounds like bearing may be tight and just pulling high amps. Sounds like a motor, good luck with the Lennox parts...very pricey, u may be able to get a universal motor tho
X2. Everything is a pain to change. I just replaced a DD motor on one a few months ago and had to bring back to my shop to bend and grind the brackets to fit a Marathon motor in the Lennox mount.

Asshole.. I hate Lennox. :finga:

my advice is just slide the whole blower out and bring it to a rebuilder and just let them replace the motor and capacitor. I do it sometimes when I am pressed for time. Usually costs me $250

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have always disliked Lennox, schematics are bad parts are expensive and in most cases u have to be a Lennox dealer to buy parts..

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have a multimeter?

i do have a multimeter, although i use it on automotive stuff, can it be used on 110v?

on a side note, just found out the unit is from 1976 :smt071 i have the thermostat set now to keep the fan on and not turn off at all, only way it will restart now is if i give the fan a good spin by hand, then flip the switch on(probably gonna loose a finger)

ive found the motor online, its a 1/3hp 5" long x .5" shaft 1075rpm, the original ones have been discontinued and supersede to PN# 60L21

this is the cheapest Lennox one ive found and requires a different capacitor($13)

http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=60L21

·
YB Managing Editor
51,138 Posts
i do have a multimeter, although i use it on automotive stuff, can it be used on 110v?

on a side note, just found out the unit is from 1976 :smt071 i have the thermostat set now to keep the fan on and not turn off at all, only way it will restart now is if i give the fan a good spin by hand, then flip the switch on(probably gonna loose a finger)

ive found the motor online, its a 1/3hp 5" long x .5" shaft 1075rpm, the original ones have been discontinued and supersede to PN# 60L21

this is the cheapest Lennox one ive found and requires a different capacitor($13)

http://www.cozyparts.com/Lennox-Parts/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=60L21
How many sq ft is your house? 1/3hp is weak for a/c.. 1/3rds are usually only used for a heat only system. Hot air rises and doesn't need much hp to move.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
house is 1100-1200ish, nothing big 2bd 1bth, if i can fit/find a larger 1/2hp+ motor in it can i run it without issues?

the outside unit runs through this inside one, we are on natural gas heat, pretty sure it uses the blower from the furnace to push the a/c through the house

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heres the info on the new PN motor

Type: 1/3 HP
Volts: 115 Volts
Cycles: 60 Hertz
Phase: 1 Phase
RPM(Revolutions Per Minute): 1075
Speed Taps: 4 Speed
Shaft: .5" Diameter x 4" Long
Frame: 48Y
Capacitor: 5MFD 370 or 440 VAC

·
YB Managing Editor
51,138 Posts
house is 1100-1200ish, nothing big 2bd 1bth, if i can fit/find a larger 1/2hp+ motor in it can i run it without issues?

the outside unit runs through this inside one, we are on natural gas heat, pretty sure it uses the blower from the furnace to push the a/c through the house
I think the 1/3rd would be ok for your house.. Is that what's in the furnace now? And yes the blower is for heat and a/c.. The wires are

Black= High
Blue=Med High
Yellow= Med low
Red= Low

Some are 4 wire but there are some that are only 3 and they drop the blue or yellow wire.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would use a universal motor...EconoMaster EM3585 1/3 hp 1075 115v 48y frame with 7.5 if cap and fasco fm55 bracket, shouldn't be more than $100

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the 1/3rd would be ok for your house.. Is that what's in the furnace now? And yes the blower is for heat and a/c.. The wires are

Black= High
Blue=Med High
Yellow= Med low
Red= Low

Some are 4 wire but there are some that are only 3 and they drop the blue or yellow wire.
the superseded PN says 1/3HP so im assuming that is what it has now, i just went and took some pictures of it, im gonna upload them to photobucket and ill post em

1 - 20 of 31 Posts