Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here own a Harley? Ive been pricing them for a couple days now, and Ive decided I want one. Ive never owned a motorcycle before, but the VRod has really caught my eye. Anyone with any input, before I spend more money that I dont have?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
RFC said:
If you want to take long trips get a bagger,has lots of storage.If you want a short touring bike a VROD or DYNA,If you want a bar hopper and somethin' to throw the ol' lady on the bitch pad build your own :)

couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cant buy a dyna, the boss already has one. think i'll kill myself on a vrod?
dammit monty im only 21, so if only old people ride Harleys, how old would that make you? :smt005

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Got me a Nightrain. I grew up since my sporty. The waterheads (V-Rod )are more Honda's than Harley! Aftermarket built ( Titan, Big Dog )will always cause insurance problem if there ever a reason you need your insurance. I rode them all that the company makes. Your too young for a springer, therefore you won't like the ride. Baggers are old man bikes. Dyna the boss has, and not as comfy as soft tails. So I would recommend a soft tail. Mine is the lowest bike made by Harley, 25 inch from ground to seat. It's the "most" hot rod/ bad boy bike they make as far as looks and performance, next to the waterheads. Fat Boys are nice too, but WAY too many and the footboards take some getting used too.
So I would recommend a soft tail. Either Nightrain or if you want to put on alot of aftermarket expensive stuff, get a soft tail standard. I did some carb work and Vance & Hines pipes. After you go thru a rear, put a wide tire kit on and enjoy. John 8)

·
Registered
424 Posts
RFC said:
If you want to take long trips get a bagger,has lots of storage.If you want a short touring bike a VROD or DYNA,If you want a bar hopper and somethin' to throw the ol' lady on the bitch pad build your own :)
Be ready for the insurance if you build it...usually a huge money loss too. The kit bikes are piles of shit...need to spend about 30k to build anything decent and then insurance will cost you about 3k/year at 21 years old. Expect to get a fair share of shit from bikers if you buy a V-Rod. The HOG crowd will kiss your ass but the real riders will think you're a queer. For your first bike I would recommend picking up a nice used softail or dyna. Ride it for a year and then decide if you want something different.

·
Registered
424 Posts
NPS Nova said:
Baggers are old man bikes.
Yeah right...baggers are old man bikes until everyone need somewhere to put their ol' lady's shit on a ride....then they're cool.....phuckers.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've got a buddy with a couple sweet bikes he's talking about selling (after I let him take my bagger on a trip he wants one...must be gettin' old). One's an American Ironhorse and the other is a really nice dyna with all kinds of billet shit on it. I was thinking about sellin' my chopper to build another one but not quite ready yet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahead of you hellbent. my insurance quotes were 3700 bucks, 2600 bucks and 1500 bucks. My coworker bought a soft tail standard today. I like it but i dont fit on it. i dont fit on damn near anything. im 6'3, and not a thin 6'3 either haha. the vrod b model is the only thing that i fit on, and that i like the way it looks. plus they had one with the 240 tire kit on it, and it looked badass. keep the info comin. thanks

the duece is a badass bike too especially with the tire kit. little to pricey for me though

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you don't mind the insurance, you're primarily gonna be riding around town, and you're one of them tall bastards....look into the Big Dog Choppers. They've got a hardtail and a softail version. Whatever you do don't go sticking the money into a Harley for all that add-on crap...especially the tire kit....you'll lose your ass if you ever want to sell it. For about the same price you can get a Big Dog. The nice thing about a Big Dog is they're real titles...no builders title...and they've got the warranty. You'd probably never find someone to insure you (21) for a builders title. A real good friend owns a dealership....used to sell Ironhorse....dumped 'em....now sells Big Dog's. Nice bike...good price. And all your friends will think it's cooler than big tits. His site is here: http://www.southwestvtwin.com He's got an inventory gallery you can check out. Let me know if you're interested in any of 'em....that matte finished chopper is f*ckin' badass...I picked out the paint scheme and can't believe it's still there.....lol. I could get you a good price on any of the ones he's got on the floor. Oh....you can get 7 year loans on the Big Dog's too.... :-D

·
Registered
424 Posts
custom guys call the duece "douche".....lol
If you want something to ride a lot....get a bagger.
If you want something to look cool on the curb...buy a chopper. It just ain't worth putting the money into a Harley to replace all the cheap shit and make it look decent when you can buy a custom and have all that shit included....and financed...lol. Not to mention the power differences. 117 cubic inches vs. Harleys 88. My 107 went 12.19 and that was getting off the throttle between gears (damn things speed shift like shit) Just my $.02

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
NPS Nova said:
Got me a Nightrain. I grew up since my sporty. The waterheads (V-Rod )are more Honda's than Harley! quote]

Hey Now!!! :evil: There's a hugger orange V-Rod with my name on it. Just can't get the old lady to let me :cry:

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
NPS Nova wrote:
Baggers are old man bikes.

Yeah right...baggers are old man bikes until everyone need somewhere to put their ol' lady's shit on a ride....then they're cool.....phuckers.

I couldn't have said it better......give me a cup holder and were ready to go.....I carry your old ladies shit......and be able to stand upright after our little ride...LOL

Road King.......

·
Registered
424 Posts
I usually just take thier 'ol lady.... :shock:

hey import.....now that I've done my best to persuade you to get a cool bike......I should probably let you know that you can get forward control "extensions" for just about every Harley. You'd fit better on 'em that way. They look like this: http://www.cyclepages.com/images/uploaded/pg4600269.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
With this racing schedule I keep, about 2-3 times a summer i rent one for the weekend. This also gives you a chance to try differnet models. personal favorite is the Ultra electra glide, you can call me old, but when you want to take a short trip, it gives you somewhere to put the shit. It's all about comfort for Mrs Squarepants and myself. also something with a windshield unless you enjoy eating bugs. Road King would be the next on the list. before you call me a wanne be but think about it, $450 for the weekend x 3 $1350 a year, versus Insurance, maintenance, storage, and all that chrome, pipes, fringe, performance parts (cuz you know you want to go faster than the other harley next to you) you will buy to make yours unique. not to mention it's a Harley so they break

·
Registered
634 Posts
Bob Curran said:
With this racing schedule I keep, about 2-3 times a summer i rent one for the weekend. This also gives you a chance to try differnet models. personal favorite is the Ultra electra glide, you can call me old, but when you want to take a short trip, it gives you somewhere to put the shit. It's all about comfort for Mrs Squarepants and myself. also something with a windshield unless you enjoy eating bugs. Road King would be the next on the list. before you call me a wanne be but think about it, $450 for the weekend x 3 $1350 a year, versus Insurance, maintenance, storage, and all that chrome, pipes, fringe, performance parts (cuz you know you want to go faster than the other harley next to you) you will buy to make yours unique. not to mention it's a Harley so they break
HD "Hundred Dollars" seems like it doesn't matter what you go in for.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
For someone just starting out stay away from the big tire bikes. In turns they suck and take some getting used too. Unless you have rode something with power stay away from a V Rod. They are easy to ride real fast and can get a novice rider in trouble quick. I've got a freind that just totaled his Screaming Eagle V rod. For a beginner rider I would definately suggest a Soft tail or a Dyna. I have 2002 Night Train with arlen ness conrtol extensions and it fits me great. I would either get the Standard or the Night Train. Also the new Sportster 1200 customs are pretty good bikes and will give you some experiance and wont cost you alot to get into one either. The only thing I dont like about the new 1200 customs is the handle bars and you can change those easily. It actually has more room between me and the bars than my Night Train. Also a sportster can be turned into a real fast bike. I know a guy here in knoxville that has a 1200 custom that has stroker kit and juice on it and it went low 11's at bristol. Which means at a track with good air it would go 10's. Dont let anybody tell you a sportster is a girls bike. Real bikers know, rubs just pretend to know.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Bob Curran said:
not to mention it's a Harley so they break
that's bullshit......they don't break anymore than any other bike....less usually. My dad had 120k on his 88 Springer before he ever pulled a rocker cover. What other bikes do you frequently see with 100k+ miles on 'em.....BMW's. But to have a BMW you've gotta be a weird phucker.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sensitive are we! it's just a reputation they earned, the new ones I have rented are quite dependable. If i didn't talk some trash Monty would put me on probation!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts