Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a pork shoulder, because it was a good deal, but she does not know what to do with it, any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it done yesterday, took a while, but it was good, I think I needed some more smoke chips though. thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
yea with the wood, apple / pecan are really good mixed with some hickory, just remember all you want is a THIN LIGHT BLUE SMOKE coming out, nice and steady. Not a thick cloud, it will over time put a Creosote(spelling) coating, affecting taste, so they say.
But on wood experiament all you want as with any of these recipes tweaking thiem here and there may lead to some great taste, or NOT:confused:. Just remember NO PINE, LOL

Rod

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you have a smoker you can get a charcol starter and what I do is after I get the 225 degrees that I want is that I keep one burning and when its all white I but it in the firebox. I also soak hickory or your favorite kind of wood for about 30 mins and I use that as well for about half of the time your are going to be cooking. Pulled pork requires about an hour of smoking per pound and is ready when it reaches 195 degrees inside. As far as prepping the pork I use a 11 or 12 spice rub and inject it with apple juice to keep it from getting dry on the inside. I also use turbinado sugar instead of brown sugar because brown supar will burn and the other will not. Last but not least I coat the shoulder with mustard right before I but it on the smoker. I know it sounds crazy but I watched a memphis in may world champ do it so I tried it and it adds some great flavor.Smoking BBQ is a pain staking job and it requires alot of attention but the work it well worth it when you pull of some killer pulled pork.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
see the pulled pork thread, the shoulder is what is used. It is more commonly referred to as pork butt
correction the pork butt is from the opposite end of the shoulder the shoulder has bone . the Pork butt comes from the end of the pork loin..:D both very nice toos the shoulder in a crock pot cook all day you might want to take the skin off before cooking. cut the skin into 2"squares and fry;) for pork rinds yummy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts