Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 ford edge limited, The last few days it has been hard to crank, Some times having to turn the key a few times to get the starter to turn over. Today it finally gave out. When you turn the key all the lights blink like its starting, but nothing happens. The relay in the fuse box out in the engine bay clicks when you turn the key. There is a starting system fault message that pops up on the dash. I'm either thinking starter went bad, or my key went bad and needs reprogrammed or replaced. I'm use to when a starter goes bad it at least clicks or makes a hum noise. But this thing does nothing but a relay click. 75,000 miles, never had an issue at all in till now. No security lights or anything pop up.

·
D.J. RIBBY
25,529 Posts
If you have a test light have someone try to start and see if the exciter wire has power when attempting to start...also make sure you have battery voltage at the large post on the starter

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill do that first thing tomorrow, Just got it to the house tonight, broke down a mile up the road at my sons school. Thanks .

·
Banned
26,908 Posts
Same thing with my 99 Tahoe. It was the crimped on ring on the end of the wire that kicks the solenoid out. The ring was still on, but barely!! and not enough of the wire to transfer the juice.

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
check the wire on the starer , ford put a big plastic cap over them and it holds salt water in the winter and rots the ring off the wire, just had to redo mine. bought a new starter and crawled under to change it and the when I pulled the plastic cap off the wire came off as well. it was a hell of a lot easier fixing the wire than changing the starter

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright well did a little testing, The starter is good if you jump it cranks over good. The little ignition wire that makes the starter turn over with the key has no power. I checked the alternator, only the yellow/red wire is getting power, the other 2 wires on the plug have nothing. The main battery wire on the alternator has power as well. I cranked it over with the key in the on position and it acts like its in security mode. My key has been acting up for a while now my door unlock button hasn't worked in a few months, its been washed a few times. I really need a wiring diagram for the starting system. I use to have Alldata but our subscription ran out. Not sure how to check if its the security system or crank sensor

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Alright well did a little testing, The starter is good if you jump it cranks over good. The little ignition wire that makes the starter turn over with the key has no power. I checked the alternator, only the yellow/red wire is getting power, the other 2 wires on the plug have nothing. The main battery wire on the alternator has power as well. I cranked it over with the key in the on position and it acts like its in security mode. My key has been acting up for a while now my door unlock button hasn't worked in a few months, its been washed a few times. I really need a wiring diagram for the starting system. I use to have Alldata but our subscription ran out. Not sure how to check if its the security system or crank sensor
So it doesn't crank?

Just for shits and giggles, have you tried starting it with it in neutral? If you're not getting power to the trigger wire with the key in the start position, the transmission selector switch might be telling the body controller / PCM it's not in actually in park. You could also try wiggling the shifter with the key in the start position to see if that changes anything. It's not that uncommon to have the TR (transmission range sensor) take a crap. Most of the time though, it's because it's out of adjustment.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it doesn't crank?

Just for shits and giggles, have you tried starting it with it in neutral? If you're not getting power to the trigger wire with the key in the start position, the transmission selector switch might be telling the body controller / PCM it's not in actually in park. You could also try wiggling the shifter with the key in the start position to see if that changes anything. It's not that uncommon to have the TR (transmission range sensor) take a crap. Most of the time though, it's because it's out of adjustment.

I've tried starting it messing with the shifter, nothing happens. The only thing that puzzles me is before it stopped cranking, A few times you would have to hold the key a few extra seconds so it would start to crank and start, sometimes you would crank it and nothing would happen. Then a minute later it would crank up. Like something is getting a weak signal or loose wire. You would think if it was transmission selector it either wouldn't start or it would start like normal, Not act different each time. You use to be able to turn the key just for a second and it would start up. Right before it quit cranking you would have to hold the key cranked for 4 or 5 seconds. I hate to start throwing parts at this thing without testing nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts