Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never owned one, but seriously considering the DJ Mavic 2 with the smart controller. I need the smart controller cause I live in an area with no cell service and my cell phone is a piece of crap. So I don’t want to have to integrate a separate cell phone into the operation.

Anyone play around in this hobby? I’m in a very rural mountainous area.

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
I have a Spark and I use a Mavic at work sometimes. It's ablot of fun. I'd say buy a Spark or similar and see if you even like it before dropping a lot on a big drone. The Spark has a good camera and a lot of good features that will really give you a feel for if you enjoy flying one. Then you can decide what features you'd like to have and buy your next drone based on that.

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Spark and I use a Mavic at work sometimes. It's ablot of fun. I'd say buy a Spark or similar and see if you even like it before dropping a lot on a big drone. The Spark has a good camera and a lot of good features that will really give you a feel for if you enjoy flying one. Then you can decide what features you'd like to have and buy your next drone based on that.
Thanks Raid. I need a set up that has its own integrated screen. I know that increases the cost, but it’s what has kept me away from the experience and it’s time to play. Must fly first person.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I bought a DJI Mini 2 and fly it ALL the time, almost daily.

I should get a commission because 2 of my buddies bought them after seeing mine.

I don't THINK you need cell service with it. It will send the video through my phone up to 10km through its own built-in wifi if I remember correctly. (edit, you don't need wifi or cell service to fly it, just to download phone on app-you could also find a cheap out of date phone and use it for the screen and the app, wouldn't need to activate the phone)

If I fly it from the lake, I can go full speed until the battery runs out and then it returns home. That's all the way down our lake or to the 2 surrounding lakes.

If I fly it from the hunt camp that is in a big bowl and surrounded by trees, I can't go very far until it loses signal. If I walk about 30 secs to the top of the hill, range is back again. My buddy has the same drone, lives in a low area in the deep woods and bought a booster to add to the remote and he can go a lot further now.

The pics are AMAZING. I can fly to the 401 at 360' high, take a pic, and when I zoom in I can almost read the license plates. I was blown away by the pics.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I’ve never owned one, but seriously considering the DJ Mavic 2 with the smart controller. I need the smart controller cause I live in an area with no cell service and my cell phone is a piece of crap. So I don’t want to have to integrate a separate cell phone into the operation.

Fly it over my way, promise I won't powder it like a skeet 🤣

·
Registered
56 Posts

You don't need cell service. I fly mine in total dead spots with no problem. Line of sight is a slight problem depending. I bought a older iphone6 for $175 and it's awesome.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn’t think line of sight was much of an issue anymore? The vids I see of some drones seem to do pretty well. ???
I guess what I'm saying is taking a drone over the other side of a mountain, or through a valley will challenge the communications. LOL. Last thing I want to do is lose contact on a $700 drone..LOL

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess what I'm saying is taking a drone over the other side of a mountain, or through a valley will challenge the communications. LOL. Last thing I want to do is lose contact on a $700 drone..LOL
I hear ya….and I live in a pretty steep narrow valley, so popping over ridges is definately part of the plan so I need to proceed with caution. On top of that, an impassible river separates me, so even if the controller provides position of the downed craft I can’t go rescue. I hear DJI offers insurance! LOL.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hear ya….and I live in a pretty steep narrow valley, so popping over ridges is definately part of the plan so I need to proceed with caution. On top of that, an impassible river separates me, so even if the controller provides position of the downed craft I can’t go rescue. I hear DJI offers insurance! LOL.
Here's the scary thing I found out on the first day. Was not keeping track of the battery and all of a sudden it said "returning to base" Holy shit! Anyhow when that happens it flys straight up and then over to the original location, and then straight down to land....If you are under a tree when this happens, you're fucked because it will fly into the tree. Mine only has object avoidence on the bottom, not the top or sides....LMAO

·
Registered
22,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the scary thing I found out on the first day. Was not keeping track of the battery and all of a sudden it said "returning to base" Holy shit! Anyhow when that happens it flys straight up and then over to the original location, and then straight down to land....If you are under a tree when this happens, you're fucked because it will fly into the tree. Mine only has object avoidence on the bottom, not the top or sides....LMAO
Yeah, but I thought “home” is the point where it took off, not where the controller might have moved too? And there is that height set point issue to clear obstacles that might be on the way. Definately a learning curve..especially since this thing is $1400 of which about 1/2 that is the smart controller itself.

·
Registered
21,598 Posts
Yeah, but I thought “home” is the point where it took off, not where the controller might have moved too? And there is that height set point issue to clear obstacles that might be on the way. Definately a learning curve..especially since this thing is $1400 of which about 1/2 that is the smart controller itself.
Home is where you take off. I take off under trees all the time. I can't use the return home feature or low battery feature because of this.

Here is a mount you can use with the stock controller.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Might want to think about a used one. I bought a DJI Phantom 3 4k a couple years back on Craigslist for $300 complete w/spare props and batteries. It's outdated now but still flies perfect and takes great pics(DJI stuff is awesome as is their customer support). I use an old android phone for the monitor....anything you can load the app on will work,no cell service needed. The learning curve can be a bit steep if you've never flown one(like me) so I'd rather crash a $300 drone(I have crashed mine)than a $1500 one. Also remember there are specific rules/laws about flying them so read up about that and the area you'll be flying in....local airports,etc. Good luck and have fun! They are very cool! Just looked on local CL.....Phantom 3 for $200 and a Phantom 4 w/3 batts for $400(batts are likely $100 ea)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts