Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just diagnosed with sleep apnea last week and picked up my CPAP machine yesterday so last night was my first night wearing it and wondering how long before I get used to wearing it at night? The lady who did my orientation with it said I should be good in a day or two. It seems pretty unnatural to try and sleep with that on.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I have been using on for almost 3 years now.
It took me a good few weeks to get used to it.
Honestly sleep is a whole lot more productive and restful using it. As long as i have access to 110volt power i take it wherever i go when not home as well.
I use what they call full face ( covers nose and mouth ).
Stick with it and force yourself to wear it , sleep without it once and a while either unintentionally or when tent camping far from power, and i will feel the difference.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The machine & treatment saved my life. I am so much more healthy
because of it. Wear it every night, all night for the last 7 years.

Can't imagine living without it. How long to get use to it? Truly, never.
It does get better. Just resign yourself to the fact that you are going
to wear it!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
They SUCK!! But as mentioned above, they really help sleep be better. Ive been using one for 9 years and still hate that damn mask.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have been using one for a little over 4 years. It takes a little while. In the beginning I had a hard time waking up. Felt like I was in a sleep chamber.

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Been on a CPAP for 12 years and I sleep like a baby for 7+ hours a night........ Took a few weeks to get use to but I can’t live without it now. 😴
The "trick" is to find a mask and head gear that is "comfortable"........ If there is such a thing.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They started me off on a full face mask because I am normally a side/belly sleeper and I couldn't get comfortable at all on my back last night.

I seems like I am breathing deeper with it on but the exhaling part seems odd to me.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
My former wife used to complain that I snored. I mentioned it to my doctor, and he prescribed a sleep test. I had mild sleep apnea, 6.2 events per hour IIRC. The doctor prescribed a CPAP, and the company called me immediately to get one into my hands. There was NO WAY that I was going to sleep with that thing strapped to my head, especially since I sleep on my side, and can't sleep on my back. I declined their machine.

As an engineer, I looked at the problem as an engineer. Why try to force air down the airway, when it must be blocked. If you've ever taken a CPR class, they teach you to open up the airways. Your dentist can create a Mandible Relocating Device, at the cost of $1000-$1200. It's basically two football mouth guards, top and bottom. Amazon has them for, at the time, $50, so it was worth trying. Works GREAT. I sleep much better, and have had two confirmations that I don't snore any more. The price has dropped, and if you order one, they will send you an extra one. There are some that are a bit cheaper, but they are knock-offs. I prefer to reward the guy that came up with the original design. If I forget to put it in, I wake up a few hours later with a dry mouth.

This comes with my highest recommendation, which I don't give out very often.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Took me about 2 months to get used to a nose mask. It really helped me avoid sinus infections and sore throat from snoring and dry mouth.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Me too... I use a Dreamworks Nasal Pillow style mask... once accustomed to it, you'll barely be aware you have it in place.

I also believe there might be some advantage to breathing the semi-filtered air from the CPAP compressor... no doubt it has helped me in several different aspects regarding my sleeping process.

mardyn

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took me about 2 months to get used to a nose mask. It really helped me avoid sinus infections and sore throat from snoring and dry mouth.
I hadn't thought about sinus infections. I normally get a couple a year when the seasons change.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I hadn't thought about sinus infections. I normally get a couple a year when the seasons change.
I used to get them every 45-60 days and live on antibiotics. Allergy shots and the CPAP were life changing in that regard. Now I get them once or twice a year when allergies are at their peak.

·
Registered
15,427 Posts
Can you sleep on your side and constantly search for a cooler spot on the pillow, or do you have to lay still on your back? Thx.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve been using one for 5+ years. I’ll never get used to it. I’ve tried every mask they make. I sleep far better without it, alas I’m stuck with it thanks to D.O.T. regulations. I wish I had never saw it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the nostril pillow type. Took about a week to get adjusted to it and love it. Been over a year now. Rest and sleep are great for me.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts