Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave up my CDL license in 1978 and the last time I pulled into a chicken coop (do they still even call them that?) was 1975 -- an era for some reason that is a little foggy for me.

Anyway, Dallas and I are in the process of getting our CDL, licenses, the proper over-length permits, and generally trying to get legal to drive the rig in all of the states we have to drive through.

The below is a scale ticket for the rig above -- loaded with all of the stuff we take to the track.

OK -- I know I need to trim about 500 pounds from the trailer as it has three 7000# axles -- but how do I figure out what the legal weight over the steering axle of a 2009 Freightliner Coronado with a Detroit, and the twin rear axles?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
steer= 12500
drive= 34000
tandoms=34000
max gross= 80000
that is standard as i know it. That dont add up to 80k. They (dot) normally let us get by at 12500 on steers. If tire/axles allow it. Heavy haul guys are different. Your motorcoach may be different.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
12k on the front 34 on the tandems
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Your 940 over on the steers .. move as much wt as you can fwd in the tlr
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit how long is the setup? If over 70ft your fucked

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
steer= 12500
drive= 34000
tandoms=34000
max gross= 80000
that is standard as i know it. That dont add up to 80k. They (dot) normally let us get by at 12500 on steers. If tire/axles allow it. Heavy haul guys are different. Your motorcoach may be different.
12500 will get you a ticket everywhere I've been
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You have got to check the door tag to see which steer axle you have under your corronado. Being a 2009 with all the emissions on the motor there's a very good possibility you have a 13,200 rated axle. Do you have 315 steer tires on the front? The Tag is on the door jamb of the drivers door. It will tell you the rating of all 3 of the axles under the truck. There's 3 possibilities for your steer axle. 12,000 13,200 and 14,000. The absolute most technical limit on axle weights is based on 550 lb/in of tread width. If you have 295 steers and have an axle rated for the load you can run 12,676. If you have 315 steers you can run 13,535 on the steer.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
And as far as being over 70 and him being "fucked", you're off a little bit. There is no length limit on the interstate system in the US. The problem is on the secondary roads leading to the tracks and such. There he could run into a 75 foot limit and possibly a 65 foot one. That's based on the information and regulations of commercial vehicles. Being a motor home I honestly don't know that you would be subject to those regulations considering you don't have a US DOT number or use the vehicle in interstate commerce.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One of the main things in determining all of these requirements is how the chassis was originally ordered. If it was ordered as an RV chassis and built into what you have and licensed as an RV then you should not need a CDL or have to cross scales. Also on that truck in front of the pass seat on the face of the dash is a wood grain oval cover that will pop out and has another tag that gives you a lot of info on the truck chassis (eng SN, trans type and SN, and info on all axels and ratios)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
There is no length limit on the interstate system in the US.
WRONG!!!! In CA it's 65 on the interstate...Many of my friends have gotten tickets there for being over 65.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
OK -- I know I need to trim about 500 pounds from the trailer as it has three 7000# axles -- but how do I figure out what the legal weight over the steering axle of a 2009 Freightliner Coronado with a Detroit, and the twin rear axles?
Your ok on the drives,(your allowed 34,000)the steer is based in most states by what tire you are running. Like the other guy said with 295's you are allowed 12,676 and with 315's you can have 13,535.

Your trailer will be based on what the load rating on the side of the tire is. They will not go by the axel rating.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Anyway, Dallas and I are in the process of getting our CDL, licenses, the proper over-length permits, and generally trying to get legal to drive the rig in all of the states we have to drive through

If your going to run thru Georgia.. and you will get weighed ..and in all states.... you better move some weight off the steer axle or buy permits... alot of money....

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
you better move some weight off the steer axle or buy permits...
You cannot buy a over weight permit for a legal load.(as in not oversize) If his tire size is not right he will have to lighten up the axel weight.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Comp670, not to sound like an ass, but I gave information based on COMMERCIAL VEHICLES. There is NO maximum length limit on interstate highways and 1 mile for access to truck stops etc etc. My international semi with a 53 foot van trailer is 3 inches shy of 71 feet total length and I am perfectly legal EVERYWHERE on interstate highways. Like I said, since he doesn't have a US DOT number and doesn't participate in interstate commerce, the regulations governing him might be different than the ones that govern me.

Now next time read the whole damn post before you spout off about something incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
How can he take wt off the steers in that rig ? No water in tanks and less fuel. That is about it. He can not move a 5th wheel like us. So what can he do ? I see these big race rigs all the time. Very curious how they get down the road with out dot in their butt all day. And those big A class motorhomes pulling suburbans, trailers and big boats.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
The only thing he needs to check is the rating on the steer axle on the door tag first. He's gotta know that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
in my experience wether it is deamed an rv or commercial vehicle is based on the dot officer's interpretation of the law. a commercial vehicle is 10,001# or more, that is used
in the pursuit of finacial gain. At the very least obtain a class B cdl and carry a log book just in case they pull you in. Unless the trailer has air brakes then you'll need a class A.
Over the last 15 years in the Racing Industry. i have seen them pull even a dually and tag trailer in. weigh it and fine the driver. for not having a cdl and no log book. Also had
a 40ft motorhome with a 32ft tag stoped for over length and parked. Had to get a tow truck to tow the trailer out of the scale house. good luck with your pursuits. All states and dot officers have their own interpretations

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Comp670, not to sound like an ass, but I gave information based on COMMERCIAL VEHICLES. There is NO maximum length limit on interstate highways and 1 mile for access to truck stops etc etc. My international semi with a 53 foot van trailer is 3 inches shy of 71 feet total length and I am perfectly legal EVERYWHERE on interstate highways. Like I said, since he doesn't have a US DOT number and doesn't participate in interstate commerce, the regulations governing him might be different than the ones that govern me.

Now next time read the whole damn post before you spout off about something incorrectly.
The topic is if HIS rig is legal. Why did you post info about commercial rig that could make him think he is ok? I tried to help
by posting about laws that effect HIS RIG... There are MANY length laws on interstates in alot of the states that make that rig illegal.

BTW,I am a 4th gen truck driver.My family trucking business is 104 years old,we have been trucking longer then most.We deal with legal and oversize loads in all 48 states and Canada. I do know what I am talking about.

Depending on the states he wants to go thru he might be screwed.That rig is not legal in MANY states. Now will he get caught? That is the question. Most don't but the states are getting nasty and more and more RV rigs are going to get nailed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts